Hooking up the Mini Vox to my Bolt.

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by matonanjin, Oct 23, 2020.

1. matonanjin

matonanjin New Member

Aug 26, 2020

Advertisements

So here we go! I promised you I would be back begging for help to hook up my Mini. Here I am.:mad: @krkaufman, @terpfan1980 and @shwru980r! Lookin' at you!;) I didn't know whether to start a new thread or not.

I just spent an hour with a very pleasant, but clearly frustrated, lady at TIVO support and she finally said unplug and restart both boxes and she was going to call me back in two hours.

At first I just got a message on my Mini something to the effect, "Can Not Connect to Office Tivo", or something like that. We turned on the setting on my Bolt something about "Remote Control". Now I am getting a message "Family Room Can Not Be Found". I guess that is some progress? The very affectionate name I have given our Bolt is "Family Room".;)

But this is all the further I can get. Both are connected via ethernet. The Mini is giving me the message Tivo Service Connection [Succeeded].

I don't know what else to tell you. I hope that you can tell me what the next step should be. I know that I can convey to you the importance of getting this set-up with the knowledge that Nebraska and Ohio State play tomorrow at 11 AM my time!:eek:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    krkaufman likes this.
  2. jaredmwright

jaredmwright Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Bay Area
    If both are connected via Ethernet amd not wireless, the only other thing I can think of is network segregation on the ethernet ports of your device (router). Some have a setting to restrict traffic between ports, check and see if that could be an issue assuming you aren't connecting into a switch for both TiVos.

Also ,if you haven't already, make sure both TiVos connect successfully to the TiVo service multiple times so that they exchange the necessary MAK ID to connect properly.

Report back and let us know.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Understanding what you need long-term, you may want to temporarily divert, just for game day, to the previous suggestion to put the BOLT in the Bedroom, and continue working the issue with the Mini in the Family Room ... and then swap the device locations once you have them properly talking.

Troubleshooting suggestions to follow... (at some point this afternoon/evening).

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

Step 1 is getting the TiVo Mini VOX registered on your TiVo account and making the DVR aware of the new device.

Do you see both devices listed within your account on TiVo.com, >here< ?

See >this post< for making sure the DVR is aware of the new device.

6. matonanjin

matonanjin New Member

Aug 26, 2020
    And this was exactly the issue. Since I didn't have to pay for a service plan (or EPG or whatever it is called) I naturally (naturally to my thinking) assumed I didn't have to register it. I followed the instructions and it is working!!!

Thanks to all of you again. Setup in time for the game!!!

And!!! Go Big Red!!!!

terpfan1980 and krkaufman like this.
  7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Great to hear, and thanks for the feedback/closure; now enjoy...!

p.s. Mind-numbing that the above most basic issue wasn't quickly resolved by TiVo Support, let alone burning a bloody hour on the phone.

HerronScott likes this.
  8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    p.p.s. It depends on where you buy it. Devices purchased direct from TiVo are typically automatically added to the TiVo account associated with the purchase; if purchased from a retailer, *then* you would need to get the Mini activated on the correct TiVo account.

9. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    Glad you got it all working and are now happily using the Mini with your Bolt. May you enjoy it for years to come!

krkaufman likes this.
  10. matonanjin

matonanjin New Member

Aug 26, 2020
    @jaredmwright and @krkaufman and @terpfan1980 I just want to thank you again for your support and help through this process. The time you spend helping others, purely voluntarily, is remarkable. I appreciate it and I'm sure others on here do even if they don't voice it.

Oh. And!

GO BIG RED!!!!!!!!!;):D

krkaufman likes this.