Hooking up Series 3 to Wireless Network

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by hookbill, Sep 20, 2006.

1. hookbill

hookbill Feathered Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    I'm not the network person in the house, that would be my wife. We are thinking about purchasing the Series 3 TiVo but we want to hook it up to our wireless network. I know it has an ethernet port but can you connect it to your wireless network?

Also does anybody know how long the warranty is on this 800.00 puppy? I'd love to come back to TiVo after having this POS SA 8300 but it's a huge amount of money.

One other question....How does the stability of TiVo appear at this time? Will they still be around in 10 years?

2. corwin_ranger

corwin_ranger New Member

Apr 14, 2004
    I can speak to the wireless issue anyway. Yes you can hook it up to a wireless network. You'll need to add a USB wireless adapter. Tivo sells their own branded adapter. I would imagine that the same adapters that work on the S2s will work on the S3 as well.

3. hammond9705

hammond9705 New Member

Mar 17, 2005
    It has a USB port on the back, and you can buy a USB to wireless adapter. Their is a list of them at on Tivos website. The easiest thing to do is to just buy the Tivo adapter. I wish that a cheaper one would work, the Tivo adapter is about $60.

Bob

4. hookbill

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    Does it have more then on USB port?

5. hookbill

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio

Any reason the cheaper one doesn't work?

6. veto

veto New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    the $49 G tivo adapter from Circuit City works fine.

7. phronimos

phronimos Work Avoider

Jun 13, 2002
    A cheaper one should work just fine. (I'm using an old linksys adapter, with no problems.)

The Series3 has 2 usb ports.

8. Big Behr

Big Behr New Member

Mar 13, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    It looks like S3 is a little finicky about adapters. I bought a new Linksys USB G adapter, and it waswn't recognized. I then took my old trusty USB11 (used with a Series 2 standalone) and it worked fine, albeit at B speeds. There is a list of tested and certified adapters at the TiVo customer cupport site.
    I couldn't find one of the certified ones locally (CC, BB) so I ordered one from the TiVo store.

http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv2184.htm

9. Tippy

Tippy New Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    I hooked up my S3 to my wireless network last night using the TiVo branded connector. It hooked into one of the two USB ports on the back of the TiVo. Worked like a charm the first time.

10. mikebridge

mikebridge Member

Sep 18, 2000
    Plainfield, IL
    i got a 4 year extended warranty from best buy for $30, and at this point, tivo won't just disappear as a company, they'll be bought out and another another company will continue the service.

11. hookbill

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    Thank you for that link.

12. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    You want the TiVo 11g adapter. With any other adapter you'll be reduced to looking at revision numbers and hoping it works on the TiVo with the drivers on the box, etc. And then it won't perform as well - the TiVo branded adapter is faster by a wide margin. (Not that it matters much right now, without transfers, but it will in the future.) And TiVo is also working on WPA support for the TiVo adapter, and it may not be available on any other adapters.

13. dbtom

dbtom Member

Feb 14, 2002
    New York City
    If the Series 2 adapters still work, you can get a great deal at Outpost. $14.95 + shipping for a refurb model. Search for WG111. Make sure you get the one that says "Tivo Compatible". You'll save some money compared to the Tivo model and you will also be able to use it on a computer if the need arises. Only downside is that it will operate in b mode. Right now there is no need for any speed greater than that without MRV and Tivo2Go but you never know about the future.

14. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    +1

15. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    If you have to have WPA right now, you can get a wireless bridge. I have used the Linksys bridge in the past and it worked great.

16. Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    The WAP54G is inexpensive and works as a repeater, bridge, Access Point, or client.

17. Motaki

Motaki New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Do you know if they sell the Tivo branded adapter at Best Buy or Circuit City?

18. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    If you want to go wireless, don't waste time with any other wireless G adapter other than the Tivo branded wireless G (which you should be able to get for $40-$50).

The Tivo G beats all the other wireless options by a mile, mostly because some of the processing is offloaded to the adapter itself.

19. angel35

angel35 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    NEW YORK CITY
    Yes and at Best Buy :up: Posted to fast :confused:

20. hookbill

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    CC has this, and it looks just like the wireless g. Is this the same thing? Also someone at TiVo said that the wireless adapters for series 2 will work for series 3.