Hooking up Series 2 to DN Vip211

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jz0717, Sep 3, 2007.

1. jz0717

jz0717 New Member

Sep 2, 2007

Advertisements

I'm new to this, before I had standard cable with my TIVO. I have DN VIP211, Series 2 TIVO Box, and a 44" Zenith HD TV. I know I can't record HD, but how does one wire this setup to work? I tried twice and I get no sound. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I would use the S-Video connections for your video and for the audio I would use the normal RCA Red/White audio jacks.

If that is not working use the same outputs you used from your VIP211 to your Tivo to go directly to your TV to verify they are working correctly. Also change cables to make sure you don't have a cable problem.

Good Luck,

3. jz0717

jz0717 New Member

Sep 2, 2007
    How about audio? Do you run it from the sat to the tivo to the tv or seperate from each unit?

4. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Same path as video (remember TiVo has to record the video and audio together):

1. VIP211 output to TiVo input
    2. TiVo output to TV input

As I said in my first post for audio you use the Red/White RCA output/input jacks.

Good Luck,

5. jz0717

jz0717 New Member

Sep 2, 2007

Advertisements

Thanks for the help. That should get me standard tv for TIVO. However, can I still run another set of outputs from the Vip211 straight to the TV for HD?

6. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I do not know if the ViP211 outputs to multiple sources at one time. You would however use the HDMI connection from the ViP211 to your TV for HD, it is a combined video and audio cable. HDMI cables can be expensive, if you don't have one check out MonoPrice.com

If you TV doesn't have an HDMI connection (older HD TVs might not) it might have a DVI connection then you would use a HDMI to DVI converter cable and again have to use the RCA audio jacks (DVI is video only). Your TV and the VIP211 might also have component video jacks (3 cables usually red, blue, green) that are HD connections you would have to review your user manuals to find out.

Good Luck,