Hooking up Series 2 and Verizon FIOS

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by GTBill, Jul 24, 2009.

1. GTBill

GTBill HD XL, Roamio Pro

Nov 23, 2008
    Southern...

Advertisements

First of all, I can barely get these things hooked up at all. I've read and re-read multiple posts on this and just get more confused. I apologize if you have seen this question before but I couldn't find it.

Just got verizon fios. It's all digital and the installer said he couldn't split the cable like had been done with Comcast. We had our single tuner Series 2 Tivo hooked to our ancient stereo tuner and the new HDTV. It worked well but with FIOS I can't get it hooked up.

Here is what the fios installer said I need to do: hook up the fios DVR to the HDTV with an HDMI cable (currently they use composite cables). Then run composite cables from the fios DVR to the Tivo and to use the IR repeaters (which I can't find). Will this do the trick? I've read where fios doesn't work well with some HDTV's with the HDMI cable. Sorry, but I'm pretty confused about this and know next to nothing about it (well, my wife would say I know next to nothing about everything but that's another discussion for another place).

2. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    I guess my question is why would you want to use the Verizon DVR with a TiVo? You shoulld use a plain set top box, not a DVR.

3. GTBill

GTBill HD XL, Roamio Pro

Nov 23, 2008
    Southern...
    Rocko,

The wife loves Tivo (as do I) but we want to record HD shows as well (hence the dvr). The Tivo series 3 is on the horizon but it is pretty far off. She wants to record tons of shows that don't require HD (and as we all know when Mama is happy...).

4. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    Well, your have two problems (wife not included ;))

First, the Verizon DVR isn't going to play nice with the TiVo.
    Second, even if you could run it through the TiVo, you'd be reduced to the standard definintion output from the TiVo - defeating the HD purpose.

If you really want to keep the TiVo, I'd recommend that you get a standard set top box and set that up with the TiVo through one input (S-Video or composite) on the TV and run the Verizon DVR on its own through a HDMI input on the TV.

You'll need to find the IR blasters to control the STB (set top box) to make that work, however.

5. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003

Advertisements

Get a DCT700 for use with the TiVo -- it's cheaper, and its missing capabilities (compared to the standard STB) are meaningless anyway with a Tivo.

6. GTBill

GTBill HD XL, Roamio Pro

Nov 23, 2008
    Southern...
    Rocko,

I actually do know that running the coax through the Tivo would mean we wouldn't get Hi Def. But with comcast it wasn't hooked up that way. They split the coax and ran one to the tivo and one to the dvr. it worked great. Wife was happy but for one problem. We kept getting pixellation and black outs (3 to 5 seconds with no picture and no sound). FIOS salesman and the installer said fios would fix that problem. Turned out not to be true so the wife is giving me much grief, both for fios not fixing the black outs and for losing her Tivo. She really wants it "just like it was" (same room, same TV). We could move the tivo into the other room but she hates it there.

wmcbrine: I don't quite understand what the DCT700 would do. how would I hook that up without splitting the cable?

7. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The DCT 700 would tune the FIOS channels for you. You need to split the cable to use it.

8. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    Yes, the scenario I described requires the incoming cable to be split. Either the OP misunderstood the installer or the installer was misinformed. There is no problem splitting the coax with FIOS. In fact, my installer had to split it - one leg for the TV and the other for input to the Actiontec router (we went the MOCA route instead of CAT 5).

Any house that has more than one TV will need the coax split so the installer's story holds no water.

9. GTBill

GTBill HD XL, Roamio Pro

Nov 23, 2008
    Southern...
    As I understand (via verizon) we can't split the cable. they claim it will degrade the quality of the "greatest thing to his TV EVER." Is The DCT 700 a replacement for the IR blasters?

10. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    The DCT is a barebones set-top box that han no PPV or Video-on-Demand features - they should be available on the Verizon DVR.

And I call BS on the installer split allegation. Believe me.

11. GTBill

GTBill HD XL, Roamio Pro

Nov 23, 2008
    Southern...
    OK, but does the DCT700 mean I wouldn't have to buy and use the IR blaster?

12. GTBill

GTBill HD XL, Roamio Pro

Nov 23, 2008
    Southern...
    Well, I've looked into getting the DCT700 and found this:

Verizon will not activate any Motorola box unless they provide it. This is company policy and there are no exceptions.

Note Motorola cable boxes are sold exclusively to cable companies in the United States. The DCT and QIP boxes cannot be purchased or ordered by consumers in the states. All DCT700 and QIP boxes on ebay and craigslist were stolen at some point, and only rarely do the cable companies ever receive any form of compensation from the customer (less than 5% of the time, according to industry publications).

So, if they won't activate it, it won't work, or what? Please enlighten me. Thanks.

13. GTBill

GTBill HD XL, Roamio Pro

Nov 23, 2008
    Southern...
    Admittedly, I'm very slow. I seem to remember the installer saying that the tivo S2 won't take a digital signal (which makes sense). So, I guess I do need a STB to run it through. Can I use one of the STBs that are on our regular def TV's to try it out? What a mess. My wife is mad at me for switching to fios. I thought it was the way to go but even their internet isn't much faster than comcasts.

14. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    Don't be discouraged - it not as complicated as you make it out to be.

FIOS is a smart move. Your wife will love it once you get past the whole installation thing :up:

The DCT700 is available from Verizon - I think they call it the Digital Adapter - it's cheap - about 3 or 4 bucks/mo. Their Internet is vastly superior to anyone elses.

Not to cloud the issue, but bundle prices (TV/Internet/Phone) can come in way cheaper than Comcast.

We're here to help so hang loose.

15. GTBill

GTBill HD XL, Roamio Pro

Nov 23, 2008
    Southern...
    Thanks, you've been a big help so far.

16. yjr

yjr New Member

Apr 26, 2006
    If I understand it correctly, you want to be able to record SD on the TIVO S2and Hi Def on Verizon's HD DVR.
    Splitting the coax coming out of the wall and connecting one side to the TIVO will not work since the S2 is incapable of handling digital TV signals.
    One of the suggestions was to(not split the coax)to connect the Verizon DVR to the coax and use either the RF out, or composite out of the verizon DVR (SD TV)to feed the TIVO.
    This will work, *but* you are limited as to what the TIVO will be able to "see" since *all* it can see is whatever it is you are watching or recording on the Verizon DVR(You will not be able to record(or watch) 2 different shows at the same time).
    The answer to that is, what one of the posters already suggested, get Digital adapter(DCT700) from verizon(don't buy it on Ebay)and pay them the $4/month.
    You would still need the IR blaster to be enable the TIVO to control the verizon equipment(DVR, STB, DCT700)
    You mentioned that you have another SD STB in another room, you could try that box for the TIVO and see if that makes it "like it was" and "Mama Happy" .
    HTH
    JerryR

17. GTBill

GTBill HD XL, Roamio Pro

Nov 23, 2008
    Southern...
    Thanks Jerry,

I think I'll try the existing stb

18. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    I can almost guarantee it won't work but it is Saturday and if you have the free time ...