Hooked up Elite, Moved Premiere External Drive Does Not Work

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by expmag, Oct 17, 2011.

1. expmag

expmag RehobothJeff

Dec 12, 2004
    Rehoboth...
    Okay, anyone have an idea of what I can try? I had an external WD 500 gig on my original premiere. In moving it to the other side of the cabinet, I thought it safer to turn off and unplug everything first, After hooking it back up and trying to reboot it about a dozen times, the external drive is not recognized and the option to press clear and unlink the drives is there. I then unplug, wait a bit and try again to no avail. Any thoughts or suggestions to get the drive running so I can move the files to the elite?

2. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Try another eSata cable maybe?

(I'm assuming you are just trying to get the external working again on the original Premiere. When you say "move files to the Elite", I presume you mean by using MRV. You can't just plug an extender used on the original Premiere in to the Elite and see the programs. The Elite will (or should) treat the external as a "new" drive).

3. expmag

expmag RehobothJeff

Dec 12, 2004
    Rehoboth...
    Sorry, I should have been clear. The dvr extender stayed on the same unit. I tried the cord from my 1tb extender and it also did not work.

4. rcobourn

rcobourn Registered Snoozer

Nov 10, 2004
    Phoenix, AZ
    Make absolutely sure you have the correct power supply plugged into the drive. You might have swapped with another device, and the power supply connected to the drive is not sufficient to spin it up.

Best of luck.

5. turbobozz

turbobozz New Member

Sep 21, 2006
    MD/VA
    I had an external drive stop behaving nicely because it had become slightly unseated with the connections inside the case.

I opened it up and and made sure everything was snug, and it worked after i closed the case up again.