homeless man with ota hd signals

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by good.deals, Feb 17, 2006.

1. good.deals

good.deals New Member

Jan 28, 2006
    So. Cal.

Advertisements

I'm not really motivated to run a third line to my roof with an ota antenna so I just hooked up some rabbit ears this afternoon. (My den is solid oak all around including the ceiling; to get those sweet sounding acoustics)

My signal strength was 10-15 and I could not get a picture... I was trying to figure out how to boost it without running a line to my roof with a huge antenna....

I have some old speakers wires sticking out of my wall that go through my house; in the attic and to a few other rooms (dont use them for anything). I stripped 'em down and wrapped the around the ends of my rabbit ears and viola!... signal strength goes to 50 (still crappy but now I can get a viewable signal).

So now I switch from my sat HD channels then back to my ota hd channels and notice its about twice as clear. EVEN WITH A Signal Strength of 35-45!

I think i'll get off my arse and purchase a nice antenna and run a line to my tv.

DTV HD Quality sucks and mpeg4 is not going to make much of a difference because they will say to themselves "Well, the channels look good now so we can add more and take up all the bandwidth on our sats! We can make more money if we offer more channels!... who cares about our current HD subscribers and the quality of their picture!"

2. Matt9876

Matt9876 New Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Maryville...
  3. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    And what did this have to do with being "homeless"?

4. good.deals

good.deals New Member

Jan 28, 2006
    So. Cal.
    I'll change it to "poor man" if it makes you feel better.

5. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY

Advertisements

How I feel doesn't make any difference. It's just the title is misleading. :)

6. willardcpa

willardcpa QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Feb 23, 2001
    Eugene, OR USA
    Even this might confuse Jim. :eek:
    You have an HDTivo, assume you have an HD TV as well. And your "den is solid oak all around including the ceiling".
    Doesn't meet any "poor man" criteria that I know of. :p :D

7. Giorgio

Giorgio New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    LOL

8. good.deals

good.deals New Member

Jan 28, 2006
    So. Cal.

The oak I ripped out of an abandoned building downtown, the HDTivo I stole from a crack dealer who happened to be selling them for $50 out of the trunk of his 79 caddy, and the TV is HD but its a 19 inch I bought used at Rent a Center in 1999.

Oh and I pay for my tv bill by playing my guitar at the freeway onramp.

Sorry my title was misleading there Jim, you seem like a "straight forward" "to the point" "no nonsense" type of guy. Especially with those 20,000 feedbacks. You the man!

9. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Well, you could also have meant "hopeless man" :)

Good luck with your antenna.