Homeland - "The Vest" - 12/11/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DreadPirateRob, Dec 12, 2011.

1. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    Whoa. This show is incredible - and w/no Breaking Bad or Mad Men on the air right now, easily the best drama on TV. Just when you thought things might be going a certain way, boom, they upend you. Before last night, I had pretty much figured that the finale was going to concentrate on stopping Tom Walker, and the Brody thing was going to be a long-con that lasted well into next season. Doesn't look that way now.

I thought all 3 leads - Danes, Patinkin, and Lewis - were fantastic in this ep. This seemed liked Claire Danes' victory lap for her Best Actress Emmy. I can't imagine anyone beating her at this point. It's one thing to be play crazy - nearly every decent actress can do that - but playing crazy but smart at the same time while also showing the strain in trying to suppress the crazy? Magnificent.

And Patinkin was just as good, in the opposite way. As Carrie got more and more out there, he got stiller and stiller, as if trying to absorb the crazy from her. You could see the pain in his eyes as he saw Carrie spiraling downward. I can't see any way that Saul is the mole now, and if it's revealed that way I'm going to be pissed (my money's on Estes).

And Lewis was flat-out chilling as Brody switched effortlessly from involved dad to dispassionately discussing the effect the vest will have on severing his head cleanly from his body.

My only beef with this ep is with the previews for the finale - they sure seemed like they gave an awful lot away.

2. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Can we please just give Danes, Patinkin, and Lewis every award possible right now? Just give them ALL the awards, I don't care what they are. I can't imagine a better combination of writers and actors.

I've always liked Danes but she is just out of this world. I never knew she was this good. Between the scene with the diplomat last week and the entire episode this week I'll watch her in anything. She is the Meryl Streep of her generation.

As for the episode I don't really know where to begin. That's why I didn't create the thread already!

I think we are going to be left with one hell of a cliffhanger next week but I can't imagine where they go from here.

I don't think I'll be able to make myself do it, but I'd love to save all 12 episodes up next season and watch them over one weekend. This is the kind of show that deserves that treatment. Deadwood and The Wire were the same way.

3. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    What were those beads/ball bearings in the vest? Was that the shrapnel payload or something? I'm admittedly ignorant of the operational mechanisms of a suicide bomber's vest.

4. DreadPirateRob

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    Yeah - the ball bearings are the shrapnel. Presumably they lay them in that goop so they stay dispersed amongst the full area of the vest and don't just congregate at the bottom once it is worn.

5. DreadPirateRob

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    Forgot to add earlier that I really enjoyed the directing of this episode. Seeing Brody from all the different angles was a nice touch that even worked to advance the storyline, and the last scene in Carrie's house as the CIA is taking down her stuff was much more powerful with the dialogue turned down and the melancholy jazz turned up than it would have been with all the shouting that was clearly going on.

6. Malcontent

Malcontent Ancient Astronaut Theorist

Sep 4, 2004
    Directed by Clark Johnson. You might best remember him as Det. Meldrick Lewis on 'Homicide: Life on the Street'. I immediately recognized his name. I've seen his name as director on a lot of shows.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0424800/

7. RandomTask

RandomTask New Member

Jun 30, 2011
    As interesting as it is and as good as the acting is, no agency would allow someone that manic to stay on the job.

8. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Problem solved. It looks like Carrie is about to be cut loose.

C'Mon! How hard is it for them to add up that the gap in Abu Nazir's activity came after the drone strike ON HIS COMPOUND? The VP did have press conference then!

I agree that it was unexcelled acting by Claire Danes.

So is Sgt. Brody gonna off his own daughter for figuring out the plot? She has video evidence of a sort. I was waiting to see that her hidden camera got Brody with the vest.

From the previews:
    I say that Walker's sniper shots are to get the VP into the bunker with Brody so he can detonate the vest inside and turn everybody inside into liquid. I still say that Brody can reconsider with loving his family and turn back at the last at try to stop Walker. We see Brody meeting Walker and saying, "I thought you were dead."
    Again, Wow, wow wow!

I turned my neighbors on to Homeland by showing the first 4 eps from VoD and refusing to spoil it for them. Now I'll get to revisit the last 7 episodes. :up:

9. DreadPirateRob

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    Estes made it sound like she had already been fired. Didn't he say when they knocked on her door that her office was being cleaned out as they spoke, and they were there to do the same to her house?

10. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    I'm no expert on how brainwashing works, but I assumed that when a subject is removed from the initial influences, he could be returned to normal. With Brody living with his captors, I can see him still towing the line. But, back on home soil, with his family, I could see him realizing that he was being fed a load of crap before.

In any case, his " . . willing to do what was necessary" line was pretty chilling. And, the VP seems to be an incredible tool.

It appears to be shaping up pretty much like I thought, Walker the distraction, with Brody the main event, set up to do the most damage. But, if everything happens in the season finale, where can the show go from here?

11. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Wouldn't ya think that once Carries started carrying on the nurses at the hospital would have put in a quick call to her doctor to authorize giving her an injection of sleepy juice?

Wouldn't ya think that Carrie's family would have been informed by her CIA employers that she got blowed up and her doctor sister wouldn't have to be called by Saul from the hospital?

12. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    I can't see Brody going through with it. I mean the series is done if he does right? He's pretty much the star of the show along with Carrie..

13. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Was that when they played the song from The Conversation? I remember it playing during the episode but can't recall now at what point.

14. DreadPirateRob

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    I don't what the song was from The Conversation. It was basically the end of the episode as Carrie was yelling frantically and the CIA guys were alternately blocking her from the wall and taking stuff off the wall, and then her dad and sister came in to the room and the noise level started to go up dramatically. And the jazz kicked in and the yelling/shouting faded out.

15. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Wow. What a great performance by Claire Danes. Portraying that kind of "manic" thing w/o looking ridiculous is a difficult feat. She really pulled it off, totally believable.

I don't buy that Brody would put the bomb, armed or not, in the car with his family.

16. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, Danes was great at unleashing her inner maniac, and Patinkin was great at silently reacting to it.

What else would Brody do with the bomb? Fed Ex it home? :D

I'm starting to think this isn't going to be as resolved as I had thought. Maybe the plot gets foiled, but Brody's participation isn't discovered. So next season is a cat-and-mouse between Carrie (trying to get the CIA interested through Saul, now that she's outside) and Brody (who is losing his brainwashing). Or something like that.

17. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I would think that they would notify her next of kin, but she's an adult. Is her sister a doctor? I was thinking that she was a nurse or a pharmacy rep or something and she wasn't really authorized to give Carrie the drugs she gives her. I thought she had just been through this with the dad and knew what drugs to use.

Yeah, there's no way they'll kill off Brody, so that kills some of the suspense. But then I've thought that before and been wrong....:(

18. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    She's a doctor, but that doesn't mean she's authorized to give Carrie the drugs. I assume that handing out controlled substances without a prescription is a pretty serious offense...as in, crime. And she can't write a prescription without blowing Carrie's cover.

19. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Even if Brody does go through with what appears to be his half of the big event, the show could easily go on with Carrie being hired back by the CIA after they realize her instincts were spot on from the beginning, and Saul would be the volunteer to keep her illness under control.

Just need to find another Brody for next season.

phox

20. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    That's pretty much a moo point, now. :D I think that cat's well out of the bag.