Homeland - S01E12 FINALE "Marine One" - OAD 12/18/11 ***spoilers***

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by MikeAndrews, Dec 18, 2011.

1. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...

Advertisements

Can't wait. It's on in 90 minutes.

We have a thread.

http://www.sho.com/site/homeland/episodes.sho

2. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    OK, slightly disappointing. The "twists" weren't unexpected.

I think they wrapped up too many potential cliffhangers.

There's little doubt that Sgt. Brody is 100% on the dark side, unless Dana can help turn him for reals.

One cliffhanger is where the SD card with Brody's manifesto is. We didn't see him getting from Walker.

I was surprised she knew the Nazzir kid was named Issa. Saul didn't mention it. It had to be in the all of the data they had on Nazzir.

Now we have to see if Carrie's memory returns.

Now Damien Lewis does the acting job. Not bad. "Dana" did well, too.

3. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    I love the series but I was disappointed. Boardwalk Empire writers had the guts to kill off one of the two main characters and send the show in a new direction. The Sopranos writers did it with regularity.

To me, this was a "safe" season finale, as if the producer/writers wanted to cash in on the success of the show and were afraid to go all out or didn't have any creative ideas of where to take the show after Brody blew everyone up.

4. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    Damnit, I still have 6 Boardwalk Empire episodes to watch.

5. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA

Advertisements

A little disappointed. I have a feeling that if the series was cancelled, but allowed to finish, this episode would have been a lot better.

But like I said last week, I'm not sure how they make a 2nd season out of something all that different.

As for the Boardwalk Empire comparison, this was it's 2nd season, I think it's a bit different.

-smak-

6. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I was not surprised that she knew the names of Nazir's children. She did mention that she knew he had more than one ("which one?"). But I am disappointed that they had her remember Brody yelling "Issa" in such a silly way. She was just about to go into electroshock therapy and lose her memory, and she blurts it out but the nurse says it is nothing. Come on! That is way too melodramatic for this series. The series seemed more serious to me up until that point.

7. Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze Back by popular demand

Nov 1, 2002
    The 75006...
    I didn't buy Dana's talkdown of Brody as credible in any way. I get the way the dots connect, but it just seemed weak. I did like the Walker angle to get Brody into the secure location - I was wondering how that was going to be pulled off. Knowing the semi-spoiler that there's going to be another season made it 99.99% clear that Brody wasn't going to blow himself up. I suppose Saul will blackmail the VP and Estes to get Carrie back in - I don't see her as being as effective "outside".

Still, I give this season a 9.8 out of 10.

8. flyers088

flyers088 tcf junior member

Apr 18, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Count me among the ones that were very disappointed with the way things turn out in the finale. Was hoping for so much more from this show. The writers took the safe way out and set up what seems to be a predictable second season and beyond.

I thought there were so many better directions to go with Brody and the bomb and they took the least interesting way out. He could have been captured without the bomb going off, which could have set up the plot that he could be turned back and work to capture Nazir while appearing to still be against the VP. Carrie could have been vindicated and returned to work, but still been manic that Brody was bad. Could have set up an even better cat and mouse game between them in season 2. What a waste.

Now we get the rush in season 2 for Carrie to get her memory back before Brody wins his election and has all the protection he needs from Carrie and what she knows. Of course Carrie will get her memories back just after Brody wins and everyone will now brush off Carrie as a kook who is mental.

9. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    I hate to use the phrase but this series about jumped the shark from its best episode to its worse in a single week.

Yeah, we will have the drama of whether carrie will recover her memory in time to save the day. What a cliche, Jason Bourne. Nobody will believe her, anyway.

We could have Dana keeping on eye on Dad and figuring out where he stands and having only one person she can confide in: Carrie! That, with Carrie swearing to never contact them again.

Once again I want to know how Nazzir and Brody could be watching the TV press conference on the drone attack on CNN(?) but nobody knew about it, and all records were destroyed? They can erase the past and CNN tapes?

I could see Nick having the next "You can't tell anybody" sit down with Dana telling her that he has a mission to root out the evil in America, etc. and then Dana has to decide whether to turn him in.

Why did Saul sic the cops on Carrie? I guess we can buy that he still isn't buying the Brody is a terrorist angle. At that we saw the worlds worst secret service agents. They specialize in watching everybody and everything but they dint' pick up on this guy being ridiculously nervous for no reason, but also fumbling with his pocket and pulling out a switch.

BTW, since David didn't go, but sent Saul, points to him possibly being the mole. I saw it's going to turn out to be cheat that the guy on the phone to Aileen was the writer and whoever they pick to blame, if any, won't sound like him. I don't think its Danny.

10. Gerryex

Gerryex Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Land O...
    One question still bothers me. How was Brody going to get into the building through the metal detector since he didn't know Walker was going to create a diversion?

Yes, most of the plot lines were predictable but I still thought it was a good episode and all of the acting was done very well. Can't wait until the next season!

Gerry

11. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    There's no WTF than that.

Not only did Brody not know Walker was alive while Walker knew what Brody's mission was...

Brody has access to the same(?) storage locker?
    Walker(?) knew where Brody would stash the SD card?
    How did Nazzir get the word to Brody to when/where to meet Walker, AKA the dead guy?

You get the feeling that Nazzir decided which one to kill right on the spot, as he bought Brody's explanation.

BTW, we could take Brody's "let me get close" idea as his way to get time to bust Nazzir and protect his family - if we, the audience had brain damage.

The SWAT snipers at the event couldn't track the shots and fire back? They're supposed to have sound equipment that can triangulate the source.

Look for Dana to find the remnants of the recording in the camera?

12. LBCABob

LBCABob Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Long Beach...
    Two nit-piks:
    ---With all those ball bearings, the vest would have weighed a ton but it was treated like a couple of dress shirts when carried around in the brown paper wrapping (by both Brody & daughter, too).
    ---The outline of the vest under Brody's shirt/jacket was very obvious on his back when he was walking up the steps to the State Dept bldg (before sniper diversion). Thought, at least, Carrie would notice and try to sound the alarm.

13. Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Disagree, I enjoyed it.

This is a character study show. Yes, it was made by people involved with 24, but 24 constantly having to up the ante every season (or closer to the every half season) made it a show I stopped caring about very quickly. I care about the main characters (specifically the main three) on this show, and the thriller aspect is more nuisanced on this show, I'd hesitate to say it's in the background, but it is second to watching these damaged people cope with their lives and their actions.

The best part about this show is Brody, Carrie, and Saul, and the character moments they have. Killing off Brody would have made for an exciting moment, but I think in the long run, I'd rather watch the inner turmoil that character has next season than how the government would react to several members of the government dying.

Meanwhile, maybe it's the pessimist in me, but I find Carrie not be vindicated to be for more devastating than if Brody had killed several members of the government. She has a mental disorder, and although right, she's convinced that she's craz(ier) than she really is, and watching her suffer for the past several episodes with her life falling apart is more engrossing than Brody dying.

There were some nit picky stuff obviously and the Issa thing has potential to be horrible next season, but this show had a phenomenal first season, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt before they go and Heroes or BSG it up :)

14. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I thouroughly enjoyed this. (IMHO) It didn't jump the shark, they didn't take the cheap way out.

While I knew the series was coming back, other then Carrie, I had no idea who ELSE would return. Since it would be easy to create another potential event for next year (IOW, not Brody), in my eyes nobody (except Carrie) was safe. Which means Saul and/or Brody could die. As I'm watching Brody with his bomb vest, I'm thinking it's 50-50 whether it goes off or not. The suspense was incredible.

Claire Danes continues to play an incredible character. She is simply nailing the role of a deeply-tortured genius. Damian Lewis was also amazing. His tension and stress while in the bunker were tangible--I thought he was going to explode (spontaneously combust!) before he flipped the switch. And Mandy Patinkin, as always, is a joy to watch.

Those of you already predicting doom & gloom for season two--how about we let them actually air the series before we complain? I know at several points this season I wondered how they could continue at the strong pace they set as this season's bar. And every episode confirmed their ability to keep writing masterpieces. So I'll let season two play out on its own, and not worry about whether we're falling into a "plot of the season" trap.

Simply amazing 90 minutes of TV. When you can watch a season finale and not know which way it is going to turn, and not pull your eyes away from the TV--that's must-watch TV!:up:

Claire Danes is scary good. I mean really, scary, good.

15. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Or what ani said while I was typing . . . :)

16. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Well, that's the thing about a suicide vest - ya really can't do a reliability test. I'll give the writer(s) this: kudos on "Marine 1" and "Marine 2." A clever little piece of misdirection.

But, as for a high ranking government official purposely ordering an attack on a madrassa, that doesn't compute. We catch enough hell when an errant drone takes any collateral damage. And, how did Abu know that the VP ordered the the attack? Did he read it on wikileaks?

Brody's performance in the bunker was the topper. He whips out a toggle switch with a screaming, candy apple red cover, looks like he's about to give birth to a litter of kittens, TWICE, and nobody notices? Not buying it. I've seen Secret Service guys work, and they don't don't miss a thing. Those guys can spot a gnat farting at a hundred paces.

And, Nazir thinks that Brody can whisper sweet nothings into the (future) President's ear and bring down the US? Phfft. Yeah, and I'm the King of Rock n Roll.

17. DLiquid

DLiquid Progressive User

Sep 17, 2001
    I didn't think for a second that Brody was going to blow himself up, so that took away a lot of the suspense for me, and for most viewers I'm sure. The writers kind of painted themselves into a bit of a corner there. Despite that, I think they did a good job of making the bunker scene suspenseful, but it still felt like watching a movie that I already knew the ending to.

Other than that, I wouldn't say this episode was too predictable. I didn't expect Brody to kill Walker. I didn't expect Carrie to voluntarily get electro shock treatments. I didn't expect Saul to blackmail the Vice President. But the episode was still a slight let down, partly because the previous episode was so fantastic, but also because they wrapped up so many story lines and didn't really lead up to a climax or cliffhanger. The Issa memory wasn't much of a cliffhanger, though I'd prefer that than just: shock, seizure, roll credits.

What kind of test of loyalty is it to ask Brody to kill a terrorist that is an enemy of the United States? Hello, that is more a test of loyalty to the US, not to Nazzir.

While the finale didn't quite live up to my expectations, I still enjoyed it, and I can't wait for next season.

18. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I think you misinterpreted. Everyone knew about the drone strike but no one knew that they actually did knowingly kill children and, more importantly, actively made a decision to bomb knowing that there were children there who would perish in the attack; they considered them collateral damage.

19. DLiquid

DLiquid Progressive User

Sep 17, 2001
    Some of the next season predictions in this thread might come true, but they might all happen in the first episode! :D This show has been outstanding so far, and I agree that predicting doom and gloom at this point is a bit silly.

20. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    [​IMG]

If that was more than a quick mention, I missed it.

As I mentioned suddenly the whole house at the airport--> Marine 1 thing doesn't figure in at all.

HE ANNOUNCED IT IN A PRESS CONFERENCE!

I swear they used the Men in Black "flashie thingee" on everybody...

What I'm saying.

We gotta figure the writers are hoping that they can put another bomb with Brody for a higher payoff next year.

Attached Files: