Homeland S01E08 Achilles Heel OAD 11/20/11 ***spoilers***

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by MikeAndrews, Nov 21, 2011.

1. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Wow, again!

OK, now we know. Brody had us all fooled. Brody was fooled.

Why would Walker still have a mission with the house perch blown?

Didn't Mrs. Gates suddenly lose her really awful southern accent?

2. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Wow +1.

Every week this show gets better. I love the cast, love the writing.

3. Kamakzie

Kamakzie Are you serious bro?

Jan 7, 2004
    MI
    Wow +2! Awesome stuff..

4. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Holy crapballs!

I don't even know where to begin on this one. This show is incredible.

5. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    I so did not expect to see Brody in that chair in the end.

6. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Based on some things I'd seen on Twitter before I watched, I knew there would be some surprise twist at the end of the episode, but even still, I did not expect to see Brody sitting there.

7. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    There are some shows where the personal drama part is boring and takes away from the main plot (walking dead, terra nova), but with this show all that stuff is just as gripping as the terrorist stuff because the writing and acting are so good.

So rather than Carrie sleeping with Brody as her job (or in addition to that) maybe he's sleeping with her as part of his job. She's going to end up telling him things she shouldn't.

I'm thinking you don't just quit Al Qaeda.

8. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Was Saul sleeping on the floor fully clothed so that he wouldn't oversleep and miss driving his wife to the airport? Or were we supposed to recall the image of Brody sleeping on the bedroom floor? Or was Saul awake and just sitting there watching his wife sleep?

9. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
  10. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Yep. This Al Qaida cell had no problem murdering a woman, shooting up a motel and planting a bomb in farm house.

We better hope Brody is tough. His family is his Achilles Heel.

11. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Not "all". I predicted Brody was dirty (in addition to Walker) last week. I remember a person or two agreeing with me in last week's thread.

But I do have to take back my comment from last week that Carrie was doing some good spy work. She is a fool. Not telling Saul earlier that she slept with Brody and therefore letting everyone know that Brody can beat a polygraph. And now not telling anyone that Brody claimed to have killed Walker. Telling Saul NOW that she slept with Brody, but not bringing up the fact that Brody lied about it during his polygraph test. Carrie is a terrible spy.

Walker's wife is a moron. Carrie even explained to her that Walker has not done anything wrong yet, and they just want to prevent him from doing anything. And still the fool warns Walker to run.

I did not recognize the guy who gave the storage unit key to Walker, and who Brody later beat up. Has that guy appeared on the show before?

12. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
  13. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
  14. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    :cool:

15. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    I think that's pretty much the point of her character. Carrie has seriously conflicting feelings regarding Brody, she certainly cares for him a great deal, so I'm not surprised she chose to protect him instead of revealing the info about him killing Walker and I find it completely consistent with the way her character has behaved so far. Which is to say, she's behaved inconsistently and certainly not always in her best interest nor the best interest of her cause. She's a complex, flawed, interesting character.

16. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    And, of course, she's also insane.

Literally.

17. brebeans

brebeans Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Not really. The drug she's taking, Klonopin, is primarily, for anti-anxiety. They also referenced bipolar ...so perhaps she's dealing with some of that.
    "Insane", however, is a bit of an overstatement. That drug is not an anti-psychotic. Her buddy may have mentioned that in the first episode, but he wrong wrong.

I think Carrie is complex and has begun to have feelings for Brody and she has those feelings conflicted with her fears of getting canned by Saul.

Why is it that when men make stupid decisions based on sex, people don't make sweeping statements, like "he's a terrible....(fill in the blank)"?. They may he did something stupid, "error in judgment", etc. Carrie is not a terrible spy, she seems to be making some stupid decisions. However, the way this show takes some twists and turns, who knows what the "method to her madness :) might be?

18. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    We still have the missing mole in the CIA. The one who warned Faisal and Aileen. No one seems to be too worried about that.

19. pendragn

pendragn Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2001
    Ames Iowa
    Another great episode, wow.

tk

20. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    Carrie is a terrible spy because she is making a lot of stupid decisions. Good spies do not make stupid decisions. It does not matter whether they are male or female.