Homeland: Q&A 10/28/2012 S2E5

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Oct 29, 2012.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...

Advertisements

This is the BEST hour of TV on right now. So far Clare Danes has had 5 Emmy episodes out of... 5 episodes. And Damian Lewis is neck & neck with her in the running. And the rest of the cast ain't bubkes.

Just. Wow.

2. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    While I agree with you with regards to the A-plot, I'm a little worried that the hit and run with the VP's kid subplot is veering dangerously close to stupid-24-tangent territory.

3. atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Both Damian Lewis and Claire Daines could have said "you ain't see nothing yet" during their Emmy speeches this year and they would have been completely justified. Astounding work.

And while I consider that the best hour of television I've seen in quite some time, I do agree about the subplot with VP's son. I, too, was reminded of "24-tangent territory." Let's hope the writers won't steer any more in that direction.

4. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    I'm willing to wait an ep or two though to see if the writers somehow tie it in or make it relevant instead of it just being filler and busy work for the supporting cast.

I think the writers have earned the benefit of the doubt so far.

5. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008

Advertisements

I think the VP's kid's accident is counterpoint to Brody. What gets covered up in order to protect the "security of the nation".

6. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Given how much Brody hates the VP, I imagine that him finding out about the accident will be a good way for him to take down the VP and prevent the presidency.

7. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    Good point, especially since part of his "plea deal" with Carrie and the CIA is that he get out of politics.

8. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Did anyone think it was strange they didn't search Brody's house? How do they know Jessica isn't in on the plot? She could have been home destroying evidence.

9. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    They might have checked to see if Body had the suicide vest in his closet.

I wonder if when you set up a guy to be the CIA's inside man in a terrorist cell it's a good idea to tell people the cover story that he's doing some secret work for the CIA.

Oh! The backup story is that he's having an affair with the anti-terrorist CIA analyst.

10. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    It's brilliant! That's the last thing they'll suspect is the truth. :D

11. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    Seriously. I hope that when they shot that scene, once it was over they each stood up, grabbed a mic, and then dropped it like a boss. That's how great it was.

Just award them their Emmys now.

12. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    Yeah, the Finn/Dana subplot has the definite airs of a Kim Bauer/Cougar or Landry/Tyra/multi-state murdering spree subplot, which is worrisome. Especially since the Homeland showrunners both worked on 24. But the show has been so amazing thus far in its 1.5 seasons that I will definitely give them the benefit of the doubt.

13. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Loved the Carrie/Brody part of the episode.

The thing with Dana and Finn was ridiculous. There are so many reasons why he would never be able to cover something like that up: Dana saw it, the car would be damaged, the Secret Service would know he was driving down that alley at that exact time, traffic cameras, etc. It was collossally stupid for him to drive away from that and think that he could just keep it a secret.

Did we ever see what Brody did with the vest? I remember him burying the descrated Koran in his backyard. Did he also do that with the vest? Am I getting that mixed up?

14. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Which sets up the crisis when Jess discovers "the affair" and decides CIA cover #1 is just a cover for the real story of CIA cover #2.

Finn should be in deep doo-doo with Dad just for ditching his Secret Service protection, much less for reckless driving and running a light. We saw on West Wing that the SS won't snitch on him because they need the trust of the protectee to do the job.

15. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    I thought they put the cameras back in the Brody house.

16. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    This reminded me of the best "box" episodes of Homicide: Life On The Street.

Poor Andre Braugher, stuck on some desert isle while Lewis gets to do this. :D

17. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I don't think we saw any evidence of that. They put him under surveillance, but as far as we were shown in the last episode, it hadn't been implemented to the point that they'd installed cameras in his house.

18. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Mo Ryan's review:

19. desulliv

desulliv Member

Aug 22, 2003
    Probably couldn't get a warrant... Never mind.

20. TheMerk

TheMerk Always Bid First

Feb 26, 2001
    Salt Lake...
    Me too.