"Homeland" - OAD 11/27/11 *possible spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by brebeans, Nov 29, 2011.

1. brebeans

brebeans Member

Sep 5, 2003
    It's still going strong......

What do you all think?

2. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I think you should have more to say when you start a thread like this.

3. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I'm definitely enjoying this show. So Walker is definitely a bad guy. Odd that he would take the guy's truck and get his fingerprints all over it, though. Seems like it would have been easier to just leave him alone and leave no clues at all.

Why did the Saudis feel the need to beat the crap out of Brody before bringing him in to meet with Abu Nazir?

Is the Vice President the target for Walker? If so, what purpose is Brody supposed to serve by playing nice and cozying up to him?

If the imam's wife wanted her meeting with Carrie to be secret, why did they do it in a brightly-lit retail store with other people nearby? I'll never understand why TV shows do that. Can't they come up with a better way for people to have secret conversations?

How convenient (or inconvenient) that Brody drove away from the Saudi diplomat's house just seconds before Carrie and Saul pulled up to start surveillance. Does it really make sense that they'd start surveillance with two of them in a normal sedan? Wouldn't they have some kind of van so it wouldn't be so obvious that there are people sitting in a car watching a house?

4. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    If Walker left the guy alone, then the Feds would have been on his trail in an hour or so. The guy recognized Walker and was about to call it in.

Did you mean leave the body alone and leave the truck there? I guess that would give Walker more time before the Feds were on his trail (as compared to letting the guy call it in). But it would not be "no clues at all". Taking the truck and the body away would leave the least clues, I think.

5. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Was that shot a surprise? I wanted to scream at Bubba to get down under the panel.

We saw that scene in "In the Line of Fire." Never get cute with gun talk with an assasin.

Part of the brain washing? They also gave him a few injections.

Sgt. Brody is no commando. John Reese would have flattened those guys.

Maybe Abu Nasir wants to get exact revenge for his son.

How about that Brody could have walked away at any time..and was seen by the citizens?

Now we know how Brody got turned. Why wasn't he thinking of his own kids?

That's standard CIA procedure, according to no less authority than Tom Clancy.

And any embassy is going to have lotsa CCTV cameras looking out for security.

I'm back again to how big Abu Nazir's AQ cell is. They're everywhere!

I was looking for a more grown up Isa to be sulking around in DC.

6. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Yes, leave the body alone and leave the truck there. Without anyone else having spotted Walker, and no way to tie the gun to him, it would have just been a mysterious murder with no way to tie it to Walker. Now, if the truck is found, it's got his prints all over it.
    No, definitely not a surprise. Knew that was coming the whole time.

I guess it's not the fact that they were meeting in a crowded store, but that they kept looking around warily and moving deeper into the store as the revelations became more salacious. If they're worried about someone overhearing them, just pick a more secluded location.

7. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    If one hunter comes there, likely another will. I imagine the authorities would figure out it was Walker pretty quickly. I think the bullet went all the way through, so it might be hard to find, but the entry and exit wounds should give a clue at the type of bullet, which would not be a typical hunting bullet.

I think taking the truck and the body is a reasonable move for Walker.

8. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    They are already looking for him. Knowing that he was in the woods target practicing wouldn't be all that useful of information; nor would the fact that he killed someone (unless they later want to convict him of that). The big risk would be if he did something stupid such as left the truck near where he's hiding out.

9. brebeans

brebeans Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Sorry....but I've seen many post "titles" and then nothing more in the comment box except, "discuss".

At least I gave my opinion......

Yikes.....calm down...it's only a discussion board!

10. brebeans

brebeans Member

Sep 5, 2003
    I am loving this show and every one of the characters!

I agree with the previous post regarding 'why they beat up Brody. Likely to be part of 'continued' brain washing. And, part of it is, they 'rescue' him again.

I think the flashbacks are an effective way of telling the story and helping to tie things together. There are so many ways that this story can go...so many plot lines, and all of them with lots of intrigue, suspense and surprise!

I'm sure we'll find out a few more things we don't know now...before the season's over.

11. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I hate those "discuss" threads.

People like you ARE WHAT IS WRONG WITH CIVILIZATION!

Oops, my meds timer just rang. Be right back.

12. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    This show has been A+ in my book. Until now. It's still very, very good, but this episode has made me question a few things. For example...

I'm not sure I buy why Brody has been turned. Yes, I understand what he went thru (years of beatings & deprivation), then his new-found affection for his saviors (Abu Nazir et al), how he felt about Issa, then the bombing, Stockholm Syndrome, yada yada. But once he's back here, among his countrymen, among our society, I don't know that I buy his vendetta. Collateral damage is a fact of war, and he was (is) a Marine. I'm having a hard time believing he remains brainwashed/turned.

I also don't understand the beating & drugs. He went from many years of brutal captivity to the relief of living with AN. I am assuming once he was in the hands of AN/Issa, his brutal treatment ended. Hence his love for them. So why is he suddenly beaten again? What purpose did it serve? And the drugs? We saw the flashbacks during his drug interlude; did he too? If so, how would they know he would see those exact memories?

Also have a problem with the surveillance on the SA diplomat. They plan to watch him for hours? For ever? Why not set up a smarter surveillance plan? I didn't have a problem with Brody driving off as they drove up, that's just dramatic license. But they should have teams doing shift work if they really want to watch the house. Wiretaps, etc.

This is still my #1 show, and these are minor points. But this show has been bulletproof (IMHO, so far), and these are the first cracks in the story line (again, IMHO). YMMV.

Ah, that explains much.:D

13. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    I caught up with this show during the Thanksgiving holiday. It was all my sister and her son would talk about. Glad I did. Claire Danes is a revelation in this. And Mandy Pantinkin is awesome as always.

As far as this episode is concerned, I feel it was the weakest so far. Especially the kid storyline. Pretty predicatble what happened there. Also did not care for his mugging excuse. Any smart wife, knowing his behavior lately, would look more into it. She believed it hook, line and sinker.

14. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    At first I thought Issa was going to grow up to become Feisel, until I recalled that they specifically dated the memories as "Three Years Earlier".
    I am also having trouble understanding the continuing brainwashing. PTSD I can understand. But to completely turn on the principles by which you were raised? :confused:

LOL! :up:

15. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I agree to a point, but I wanted to clarify. The issue was not that they accidentally killed some kids. The issue was that they then blatantly lied about it and claimed that no kids were killed. I believe that was pretty significant (assuming it was true). He basically learned that his government is willing to outright lie about important details like that and was not trustworthy. They lost the moral high ground big time.

That said, I was thinking the whole time that the whole thing smelled like an elaborate brainwashing maneuver. Why would they need a known enemy to teach a kid english when their english was already great and they have immense resources? Nazir(sp?) is known for the long-game and it wouldn't surprise me if they fabricated this whole thing and that boy wasn't even his son.

16. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Perhaps once Brody returned home he changed his mind about getting revenge for Issa. So they abducted and repeated a condensed version of his captivity. Beating him, cleaning him up, reminding him of Issa, releasing him to his wife.

Since we know they somehow tricked Brody into believing he had killed Walker, maybe they somehow tricked him into thinking the school had been bombed and Issa killed. Maybe the drugs we saw them giving him had something to do with these psychological manipulations.

Jarring to hear Nasir call him Nickolas. Seemed more intimate/familiar/friendly than anything his wife has called him.

Also, 3 years ago they shaved him and cut his hair and cleaned him up nicely, but he was found by the U.S. forces with a long beard and hair. They had to leave enough time to get him grungy again.

17. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    The room he woke up in even resembled the room he woke up in during his captivity. Very well played.

18. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    Why do you think I am not calm? You asked what I thought, and I responded.

19. john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    I was thinking the same thing, but then I realized that I was assuming they were going to utilize Brody for a typical terrorist act (i.e., kill civilians). If they are using Brody to assassinate someone who Brody believes is responsible for the Issa incident, I can believe Brody might go along with it. Of course, if that is the case, it is likely that they are either lying to Brody about what they are going to do, or else Brody is just a part of a larger plan that will culminate in killing a lot of civilians (and Brody knows nothing of that part of the plan). Because otherwise, as you imply, it is hard to believe that Brody would think killing civilians is a reasonable response to what happened to Issa.

20. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Maybe Brody's "mission" isn't to kill a bunch of civilians, but rather to run for high political office (as high as VP) and then affect policy. Maybe the goal is to have an AQ sympathizer in the white house or congress. But that would make for a boring show.