Home videos on PC no longer visible on DVR

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by rickwagner50, May 12, 2011.

1. rickwagner50

rickwagner50 New Member

Jun 30, 2008
    I am having a problem that started within the past few weeks. My daughter makes home movies, I encode them on my PC and then we transfer them to my HD Tivo for viewing. We have done this several times with no issue. Now, I go to the 'now playing' list, select my PC at the bottom of the list, and there are no videos listed to transfer any more. I have gone back and made sure the directories are properly set and the files are there on the PC side. I also upgraded to Tivo Desktop 2.8.2 (was on 2.8). Same issue.

Wierd thing is the pictures are also acting up. When I click on pictures on my PC it takes about a minute to get a listing and then fails, telling me there was some issue. I can see the DVR's from my PC and transfer to my PC from the DVR's, but not from PC to DVR (because I can't see the PC videos to pick from). Anyone have any idea what could be going on?

Thanks

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    When was the last time you rebooted the Tivo? It may need that, this time.

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Couldn't hurt to reboot the PC at the same time.
    Last time I had trouble seeing the PC from the Tivos NPL and Music & Photos. A reboot of the PC took care of that.

4. rickwagner50

rickwagner50 New Member

Jun 30, 2008
    Rebooted everything - same thing. Got an error message while trying to open Tivom Desktop now - "transfer server wrong version"

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Its one of the reasons I dropped Tivo Desktop and went to PyTivo, Tivo Desktop crashed some of its files and will not recover even after reboots.

6. rickwagner50

rickwagner50 New Member

Jun 30, 2008
    Just downloaded PyTivo and it worked like a champ! I uninstalled Tivo Desktop and don't think I will ever look back. However, can PyTivo also transfer recordings from my Tivo's to my PC for me to take them on the road (laptop and iTouch)?

7. rickwagner50

rickwagner50 New Member

Jun 30, 2008
    Answered my own question after reading up a bit on PyTivo. I can transfer videos back to my PC no problem. Just have a bit of an issue encoding them to work on my iPod Touch or laptop now :-(

Tivo Desktop is officially dead and not responding at all even after uninstalling and re-installing. WTF

8. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    It may no longer matter, but did you try the TiVo Desktop Cleaner?

9. rickwagner50

rickwagner50 New Member

Jun 30, 2008
    I did try desktop cleaner after your suggestion - same issue after uninstall, run desktop cleaner, then re-install Tivo desktop. Ugh.