Home Theater quandary

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by rickeame, Jul 30, 2007.

1. rickeame

rickeame New Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Okay, here is my situation:

Theater room is where the Series 3 sits. It feeds via HDMI to my integra which then outputs to my projector.

I have a master bedroom with an LCD HDTV running component. We have the component feeding from the integra (multizone) as well. What we can't figure out is how to get the ability to watch the Series 3 in the bedroom. Can the S3 output component when you have an HDMI plugged into it?

Note that I'm not trying to watch the S3 at the same time. :) Just that I have things like the daily show recorded there that I like to watch in the room before falling asleep.

2. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Both are active at the same time but there is one glitch that sometimes comes up when viewing protected content. If the content is protected and the S3 notices that an HDMI monitor is connected but not successfully negotiating HDCP then the component is disabled. The trick is connecting the HDMI device such that when it is powered off the S3 either thinks it is totally disconnected or fully HDCP negotiated. I use a Pioneer switching amp which does a great job of faking it out. Some TVs also show no problems. It is really trial and error.

3. bdraw

bdraw Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Interesting,

Why can't you just run component to to the Integra, instead of HDMI? The only real advantage to HDMI is audio and 1080p, which the Series3 doesn't do.