Home Theater 5.1 Setup With Tivo.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by nuraman00, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Oct 1, 2020 #1 of 87
    nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012

Advertisements

I'm in the process of setting up a 5.1 home theater.

I will have the digital optical from my TV, going into my AV Receiver.

Is there any audio setting that I should change, on my Tivo?

Also, how much content is broadcast in 5.1? Is it some channels, or more?

And for a particular channel, is it all content on that channel, or only some?

I've never had a 5.1 system before, nor really paid attention if I heard one before.

I mostly watch sports.

Is that content in 5.1 sometimes?

Will I notice a difference, compared to my built-in TV speakers? Will it be better?

I'll also watch a few TV shows or movies I record, but most content is sports.

2. Oct 1, 2020 #2 of 87
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    The Digital Optical connection is not the highest quality audio connection you can make from the TiVo to the A/V Receiver.

Plugging the TiVo directly in to the Receiver would be.

-KP

3. Oct 1, 2020 #3 of 87
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Start with the easy one: what model is your AVR? Next, OTA or still cable?

See my signature link for abbreviations.

4. Oct 1, 2020 #4 of 87
    nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Thanks. I wanted the A/V Receiver to receive inputs from my TV, that weren't using my Tivo too. For example, a DVD player, or I also have my TV connected to my PC via HDMI. I plan to play a Blu Ray on my PC, and want to send it to the A/V Receiver, via my TV.

My TV only has digital optical out as an audio out.

I have this model:

https://www.costco.com/denon-avr-s750h-7.2-channel-4k-av-receiver.product.100505535.html

I am using cable TV.

5. Oct 1, 2020 #5 of 87
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

Most of the world would plug everything into the AVR and run one HDMI cable to the TV. By running stuff through the TV you are lowering the audio quality. This applies for most movie content. Also, by have everything plugged into the AVR, you can see the type of audio and video. While every cable company is different, mine has all channels in DD 5.1 except for a few that are DD 2.0. Most free streaming services are also PCM 2.0. Amazon sends some content as DD+.

I have never used my TV's speakers. I never will. I don't expect old programs to be true "5.1", but the AVR can still add DSP to make Gunsmoke sound good.

Sonyad, Rob Helmerichs and kpeters59 like this.
  6. Oct 1, 2020 #6 of 87
    rpj22

rpj22 Active Member

Mar 26, 2016
    SoCal
    The type of TV you have is also relevant, since many (or most) TVs convert 5.1 sound from external sources back to stereo. Read your TV manual, or google it, to find out which you have. In most cases you don't want to configure things as you plan. Plug your external devices into the AVR, not the TV, and let it do the switching. That's what it's for. I have a computer, a DVD player, a TiVo, and a cable company DVR all plugged into my AVR. The video output from the AVR is the only thing plugged into the TV. Also, to get the 5.1 sound in that configuration, get into the sound menu for each of your devices and set them all to output Dolby Digital.

7. Oct 1, 2020 #7 of 87
    nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012
    I might have to re-think where I place the AVR then. I was going to put it off to the side of the room. So right now, I have a stand that a DVD player, Slingbox, Tivo, and camera NVR, going to the TV.

You're saying all of those, should now go to the AVR.

I also have a few video game consoles connected to a RCA composite switch, which then goes to my TV. That should go to my AVR too?

Lastly, I have my Tivo HDMI out going to a powered HDMI Splitter, which then goes to my Slingbox. Then the HDMI out of my Slingbox goes to my TV.

How does that change now? I have to have my Tivo connected to the Slingbox somehow.

There was this discussion in 2018 here on how and why I needed the powered splitter. To get around the HD copy protections.

After following the advice, the setup has worked great.

Can a Slingbox 500 replace both a Tivo Stream and Tivo Mini Vox?

(Tagging @Series3Sub, since he knows about Slingbox connections.)

It seems like I'm going to need a few 15 foot HDMI cables, because I don't want to clutter up the front of the room any more. That's why I was going to put the AVR to the side of the room.

Only other possible solution might be this. I'm planning on getting a monitor riser that will raise my TV 11". I can then put the AVR on my current TV stand.

So my current TV stand is 58" wide/long.

The TV/monitor riser I am planning to get is 39" wide, and will go directly in the middle.

So that will leave about 9.5" on each side of the riser.

The AVR is 17" wide. I can't have 8" of the AVR, hanging off to the side of the riser, as well as hanging off my current TV stand.

My current TV stand is also just under 22" deep.

The AVR is 13" deep.

The monitor riser I am planning to get is 11" deep.

Maybe I can put the TV in the back depth of my current stand.

Then put the AVR in front of that. That way, the AVR will only be hanging out in front by 2" (22" TV stand depth - 11" from riser = 11" remaining, for 13" deep AVR).

But, I was going to put my center channel speaker, underneath the riser. So the AVR can't block that.

Also, what will putting my AVR next to the TV, do to radio reception? I had wanted to see if this AVR could receive an AM radio station 113 miles away. I can get that station in my car, but on my portable Tecsun radio, I have to put it in a certain corner of the room, tilted very precisely, to get somewhat listenable reception.

I just got the AVR yesterday, I suppose trying to listen to this station is a simple thing I can do soon, while I wait for my front speakers to arrive, as well as the stands, speaker wires, etc.

If I put the AVR directly under the TV, will I still get good reception? I was worried about interference with so many electronics next to each other.

I can't stream the radio station, because games are blacked out via stream, so I have to tune in via the radio.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  8. Oct 1, 2020 #8 of 87
    nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012
    How much power does using 5.1 speakers use, compared to built-in TV speakers?

Let's say I watch TV for 6 hours. How much more power does that consume, when using the 5.1 speakers? Any idea how many watts?

9. Oct 1, 2020 #9 of 87
    nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Thanks. This has gotten me more excited, to know that most TV content will be 5.1 capable.

I started all of this 5.1 stuff because of a concert Blu Ray that I was getting. It is mixed in 5.1, so I though for once I should try to hear what 5.1 actually sounds like.

I didn't know if 5.1 would impact other applications that much, but you are making it seem like I can use it for most things.

10. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The difference is amazing. I think the jump from stereo to 5.1 is at least as impressive as the jump from SD to HD picture. With a decent system (which it looks like you now have), expect to be blown away when you're working from a good source.

(I went from stereo to 5.1 when DVD was a newish thing, because some early DVDs with surround-sound were very badly mastered so that dialog often got swallowed when played back in stereo. I currently have a 7.1.2 setup, and wish I could do more...7.2.4 would be fantastic, but I live in a condo and have neighbors I don't want to annoy.)

11. Deuga

Deuga New Member

Jul 5, 2020
    I watch a lot of sports as well. My understanding is all major sports on major channels are in 5.1 Dolby. I just got an Edge a couple months back, setup via an AVR to a 5.1 speaker setup. I don't know about other Tivo devices but the Edge can pass through Dolby sound. I've found watching NFL football with it is a completely different sound experience. For football, the announcers speak through the center speaker but I can hear the QB line calls and other line chatter loud and clear through my two towers. It's incredible. I've found whether you can pass through Dolby sound is a big deal. If you've got a Tivo and Slingbox that'll pass through Dolby then make sure you have HDMI cables so it'll pass through via the AVR to the speakers.

12. RangerDave

RangerDave New Member

Sep 13, 2017
    You should probably think about plugging most things into the AVR to maintain the 5.1 sound. My tv converts hdmi in to stereo out via the digital coax output, so I had to hook up external equipment directly to my audio-only sound processor. Your game consoles can still go directly into the tv via the composite input switch you are already using. You may not gain much, if anything, routing those thru the AVR.

I found sports shows using 5.1 to be very boring and lackluster. Not enough dynamic sound to really draw you into the experience. Movies and concerts, on the other hand, are FANTASTIC! It’s like being in the movie theater. Car chases, gunfire, explosions, jet and helicopter fly-buys will blow you away. Think Saving Private Ryan or a Fast and Furious Movie as examples. The soundtrack and music shows will put you right in the middle of the audience.

I’m sure you will enjoy your setup very much when completed. Audio makes ALL the difference.

Enjoy! - RangerDave

13. nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Thanks. How do I connect my Tivo to my Slingbox, if my Tivo is going to the AVR?

Right now, I have Tivo --> Powered HDMI Splitter --> Slingbox HDMI input --> Slingbox HDMI Output --> TV HDMI Input.

Do I do this?

One connection:

Tivo --> Powered HDMI Splitter --> Slingbox HDMI input

Second Connection:

2nd output of powered Splitter --> AVR -- > TV

14. nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Thanks, I guess I will see which of these varying opinions I end up agreeing with.

15. nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012
    So it seems like I should keep my AVR next to my TV? I was initially thinking of keeping it off to the side, of the room.

It's going to be difficult to keep it on somewhere on my current TV stand. Even once I raise my TV with a heavy duty TV riser, the center channel speaker will go underneath that TV riser (once I order it).

I will probably look for a small 2 feet x 1 foot stand.

16. nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Do I have to do anything on my PC, to output 5.1 via HDMI through my graphics card?

I have a GeForce RTX 2070. Is there some setting I have to do, either with GeForce's software, or Windows 10 software, to output 5.1?

17. nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012
    I have an existing 2 foot (width) by 2 foot (length) by 2 foot (high) foot square table, that has nothing on top of it. What if I were to just move the brown table (not pictured) to the right of my TV, and put both my right front speaker, and my AVR on it? (I haven't received my speakers yet, but the ones I'm auditioning are "glossy piano black").

The table is brown, and everything else is black, but oh well? It beats having to get another piece of furniture?

What does everyone think?

[​IMG]

18. nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012
    I guess I'm asking if it makes things easier having the AVR next to the TV, based on how most of my other devices are there.

Or, could I have my AVR off-screen, all the way to the right? Would that make the cable connections ugly, because I'd need a few long cable (especially from my PC, which is on the left)?

19. Deuga

Deuga New Member

Jul 5, 2020
    I know nothing about Slingbox, but it would seem you'd go from Slingbox HDMI Output to AVR HDMI Input then AVR HDMI output to TV HDMI Input. In other words you're inserting the AVR between the Slingbox and the TV.

Good luck.

Rob Helmerichs likes this.
  20. nuraman00

nuraman00 Member

Dec 28, 2012
    I think that makes sense. Thanks.