Holy **** experience trying to cancel a monthly box

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by iwearnosox, Jul 28, 2011.

1. iwearnosox

iwearnosox New Member

Jul 12, 2002
    I seriously had to berate the guy to finally get him to cancel, he kept trying to deliver a long drawn out sales pitch to keep it. After 10 minutes of it and him saying "I'm just doing my job" I basically threatened to cancel the credit card associated with tivo if he did not do ask I requested and remove the box from my account. It got verbally combative and then some.

I've never had an experience like that, ever. What little joy remained from being one of TiVo's best customers (I had one of the first 100 boxes ever made) is gone.

What a miserable thing Tivo has become, someone put that dog down. Why in hell would anyone want to activate a new box if you make their life hell when they decide to turn it off?

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Sounds like Sirius/XM satellite radio.

3. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    I must have got one of the "good" ones - when I called to cancel my one monthly TiVo last December (it was at the multi-service rate as I have a lifetime TiVo as well), the salesman put it into some sort of "limbo" status for one month (I wasn't charged for it) and suggested I "give it to someone as a Christmas present." (I ended up selling it, although I might have gotten a little more for it had the salesman pointed out that, for some reason, I could transfer the multi-service monthly rate along with the box.)

4. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Being an early adopter does not make someone one of their best customers.
    But thanks for the chuckle.

5. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Not that it is right. But, have you tried to cancel anything on the phone? Cell phone, cable, ISP, newspaper, (insert service here)- they are all desperate for keeping business, especially monthly revenue.

So, I'm surprised you are surprised. This happens to me all the time.

6. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
  7. yoheidiho

yoheidiho Member

Mar 31, 2011
  8. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    It must work with some people, say people over 90 years old with Alzheimer's

9. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    In the beginning, Tivo was a much more customer-friendly company. I think that's why threads like this primarily spring up from some of the original owners. They are expecting something better than your typical company that makes life hell to terminate a product. I know I was a bit taken aback the first time I had to cancel one (albeit not as onerous as the OP of this thread), as I was also surprised the first time I was told I had to sign a contract to reactivate a Tivo that I'd owned for half a decade.

10. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    I called to cancel a radio yesterday and what should have been a 1 minute phone call turned into 10 minutes of sales pitches and 'special offers'. I told the rep repeatedly to just cancel the sub. When she finally relented, she told me the radio would remain active until the next billing date (presumably so they could keep the full months payment). I had to request that they cancel it immediately and she said she had to make a special request to her supervisor to authorize that. What a PITA. Oh, and they auto-renewed the sub and billed it 5 days before the previous sub was up. Then they tell me it will take 7-10 business days for my credit card to be refunded. :rolleyes:

11. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Ever try to do something with AT&T? Each service has its own separate accounting department, including home phone and DSL which are in the same section on the web.

12. bluetex

bluetex Wha?

Apr 23, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for the heads up that they're doing this "beg to stay" behavior. I had to cut him off on the third "conversational confrontation" and say, ok let's just shut it off. Though he did come back with "well who's your cable service provider"... I said you know that from my S3 (which I'm keeping). How many DVRs are you renting from them? I said, "none of your business, let's shut down the Series 2 and be done here".

Him, "ok... "

Jeff

13. sathead

sathead Member

Jan 12, 2008
    By my best recollection I hadn't used my XM Radio in over 8 months, so I decided it was no longer worth subscribing.
    I made the dreaded cancellation call... I got offers for reduced rates, more channels, etc, I kept saying no, no, no!
    In a last ditch effort they offered me six months free service. I replied that I hadn't used the radio in over six months, and don't plan on using it ever again so they could give me 12 months free and I'd still cancel.
    Even that wasn't enough to finalize my cancellation, argued for another 10 min or so on how I wasn't happy with their audio quality, and their lack of channels for the music genre I was interested in and so on.
    The rep finally put my cancellation through... it only took 1/2 an hour to get it done :(

14. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Considering the initial 30 hour unit (that's 30 hours of SD in Basic quality) cost $1200 + service, I'd say it makes him a pretty good customer.

Dan

15. Eddie501

Eddie501 Member

Jun 4, 2004
    One of the things I like about Netflix is that they let you cancel online & it's basically just "Thanks, bye!". And you know what? I always end up coming back.

But companies that have given me this treatment will not only never get my business again, they also become a 'horror story' if anyone I ever know mentions them. Is that really a good business practice?

16. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I agree. Companies that try to trap you by forcing you to call and wait on hold just to cancel irritate me.

Dan

17. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I gave up trying to cancel anything long ago. I switch the card to my debit card and then request a new debit card from my bank. Poof. Canceled.

18. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    LOL, I wish my bank was one of the few that offered virtual debit card numbers. I've had to resort to your tactic once or twice, though - Vonage was one of them. They just couldn't believe I had found a better deal (Ooma). :rolleyes:

19. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I have a website I no longer use and I wanted to cancel the domain. I've given up on trying to accomplish this. I was able to turn off things like "safe-renew", "domain lock", and "domain expiration protection," but apparently to actually terminate the domain I can only do by sending them a notarized letter on company letterhead. What a pain.

20. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    A great way to end up with collection agencies chasing you down? Sure, you'll win in the end, but only after 10 years of your debt repeatedly being resold to junk debt buyers and negative reports on your credit report.

Most companies only have a short-term view of the world. Mistreating customers to keep them paying produces a short term profit. They don't look further down the road to see what the impact of bad word-of-mouth will be on their business.