Hollywood on Netflix

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jamesbobo, May 15, 2020.

1. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    I am really surprised I've seen no mention of this 7 episode mini-series. From Ryan Murphy (American Horror Story) it takes place in 1940's Hollywood and deals with the difficulties minorities have in working in the industry. While gays and blacks are the main focus, Asians and women are also shown as not having it easy either.
    While it deals with real people, such as Rock Hudson, this isn't a true story. It's a "what if", not a "what was". I've seen 4 episodes so far and it is quite entertaining. If you have Netflix and haven't seen it, give it a try.
    If you have seen it, what do you think?

2. jamesbobo

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    OK, there is mention of this show. Just not here. It's in Happy Hour General Chit Chat in the What Are You Streaming thread. But if you only want to talk about this show, this is as good a place as any.

3. wedgecon

wedgecon Just Plain Awesome TCF Club

Dec 28, 2002
    Vancouver, WA
    This is an alternate universe type of story, not set in the post war hollywood that happened in our universe.

4. spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    Watched the first episode and didn't care for it.

5. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    I was really enjoying it up until the final episode. It was too much revisionist history for my taste.

6. Timbeau

Timbeau Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 31, 2002
    VT
    I've watched 2 episodes of it and while I'll keep watching it, it's more of a "watch when nothing else suits my fancy" show.

Steveknj likes this.
  7. jamesbobo

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    Well, I did say it was a "what if" and not a "what was". I liked it.

8. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    I really liked it. Cleverly done.

9. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'm 4 episodes in, and for me it's a kind of a big meh. Though it's clear to me that this show will win an Emmy for Jim Parsons. I think it's also possible they might give a nomination to Laura Harrier (mostly because of the political climate).

Here's the thing I hate about this show the most. The three lead male characters look too similar. So I'm completely confused who's Rock, who's Jack and who's the director guy. As I said, the music is pretty good and sounds outstanding in Dolby Atmos, but the story is just OK. I'll finish it because, well it's COVID-19 season and without sports, I'm watching a LOT of streaming stuff.

10. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Finished it last night. In the end, it's a modern take on a common Hollywood trope. As the thread is not marked for spoilers I'll spoilerize:

The trope is, make the movie nobody wants to make, risk your studio on it and cast someone controversial. And of course in the end it's a HUGE success. At the end I expected them to play "Hooray for Hollywood"