Holiday Season a Bad Time for SW Updates

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by WBragg, Dec 19, 2008.

1. WBragg

WBragg New Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Sanford, FL.
    I recently bought a Tivo HD from Best Buy (5 days ago) and yesterday I got a multi-stream cable card installed which should allow me to test drive the Tivo and see how I like it compared to my BrightHouse DVR.

Apparently last night, it decided to go get a software update from Tivo which has moved it from 8.1.6 (I think this is was was on it when delivered) to 11.0.x which it apparently installed last night.

I can't recall the exact software version that it updated to because it's hard to read. No, the font is fine. The problem is, when I go to the System screen to check the Account Status and Software Version ... the Tivo reboots. It does this every time. I can see the screen long enough to know that the Account Status is now blank instead of giving me the days remaining on the evaluation account. I can see the other attributes as well but only briefly ... then it's off to the bootup screen.

As a software developer myself, I am familiar with a common practice among retailers to freeze software and systems work for all but critical updates during the holiday season. Nobody wants their systems to become unstable while customers are trying to buy items in stores or online during this heavy revenue period.

I would think that Tivo might consider adopting a similar policy. What was a reliable unit on 8.1.6 is now a pretty poor experience at 11.something-or-other. Does anyone have anything encouraging to say about any incremental bug fixes about to hit the wire or does the boot-o-matic go back in the box and back to Best Buy?

Sure, it's just the System Info screen. But hey, if you can't display a static screen with basic attributes what's the likelihood that the rest of it is any more stable?

2. FrodoB

FrodoB Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Middleton, WI
    FWIW, others in the same boat have reported that when they activated their subscriptions, the problem went away. However, I realize that's of little help to you, given that you're trying to evaluate prior to purchase. You could always sign up and then you have 30 days to cancel.

3. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    See this thread on this particular bug. It has already scrolled back to page 3, but should cover this issue and prevent another thread from being started on the same thing.

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Have you tried pulling the plug for a min, sometimes a restart just isn't enough. When I got the v11 update, my THD was stuck twice on boot needing plug pulled twice to complete the install. V11 adds the Netflix app for instant viewing.

5. WBragg

WBragg New Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Sanford, FL.
    I didn't know that I could cancel a sub with a refund in 30 days? That seems like a reasonable way to evaluate the box if the act of subbing does eliminate the problem. Thanks for that info.

6. pmiranda

pmiranda Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Software updates on first use is getting very common these days. They probably built and shipped that box several months ago, and the software has had several tweaks since then. I agree it'd be nice to be able to hold off on installing a software update (I can with Windows, iTunes, Java, and others) and it's definitely a PITA when an update makes it into the wild that has a crashing bug. I guess they need to expand the beta program for software updates so they could find and fix it earlier.