Hoe To Expand TiVo Bolt storage?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Chris Cardone, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Chris Cardone

Chris Cardone New Member

Aug 10, 2017

Advertisements

I'm sure this question has been asked many times, but what is the easiest way to expand storage?

2. Fant

Fant Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Easiest way is to follow these three steps:

1) search this forum
    2) follow instructions in thread
    3) be happy

NoVa, Nickipedia, johnner1999 and 2 others like this.
  3. kazak99

kazak99 Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Mikeguy likes this.
  4. Chris Cardone

Chris Cardone New Member

Aug 10, 2017
    I was expecting to simply put a card into the e.sata drive. Is that e.sata slot for cards or just to hook up an external drive? Which cards or drives are approved? (I appreciate what you shared above, but are you sure other problems won't pop up?) Thanks

5. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008

Advertisements

There is only one model external hard drive with 500G and 1T variants that can be used on the esata port and it's not being manufactured anymore. Your best option is to replace the internal drive with a 3T drive.

6. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I think this is a terrible idea. Using a Hoe to expand your storage will only destroy your Tivo. Better to use a screwdriver to open the unit and install a new internal drive or plug in an external. Use a Hoe in the garden only, not on your electronics.

Anon1 and NoVa like this.
  7. FreydNot

FreydNot New Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Be aware that many people (myself included) are having problems with their replacement drive failing. My WD 4TB drive lasted a year and a week before doing the flashing lights thing. I'm currently trying to use ddrescue to copy the data to a 5TB WD Red 3.5" drive that I happen to have around. Hopefully this will work and I will not have lost 4TB of Tivo recordings.

4 Lights Flashing on Bolt

8. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    And that's why those of us who were playing it safe went with the 3TB Toshiba for an internal upgrade, there have been no failures or ill effects from that upgrade.

Mikeguy likes this.
  9. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    husky55 likes this.
  10. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    For the BOLT only, the Toshiba 3tb referenced by several has been the internal go to drive for the upgrade. The esata port is really kind of useless for this generation of Tivos or any other IMO, as they are small and double your chances of losing everything if either drive fails. I think Tivo has dropped support for them by and large. There are several good guides for opening and closing the Tivo Bolt. I have used the Toshiba drive myself and I made the effort to run MSFR on it when doing the install even though it is not strictly necessary for that sized drive but I thought it was easy enough and might just save a little wear and tear on the drive. The other currently available Seagate 2.5" drives are all what are called SMR and are generally considered unsuitable due to that feature. One gent with the very earliest firmware thought he was passed the hump, but the last I heard one of his appears to be failing now.
    The Toshiba drive is what they call PMR and is generally considered important for use in the Tivos.
    A few have used larger 3.5" Reds in an external enclosure and using a sata to esata cable, but recently a bunch of them have reported failures using external esata drives but the fix at least for some was to replace the esata connector with a straight sata cable to the external drive and the Tivo motherboard.

11. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Diane, must you always be the voice of rationality? It really gets rather tiresome. ;)

12. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    When ya got it, flaunt it they say...
    But seriously, when I saw folks being daring I knew the safest path would be with the already supported 3TB so nothing fancy, and the the Toshiba was another very safe choice since there were still unanswered questions on the Seagate units that seem to have even now thrown a monkey wrench into the works, so I'm not the voice of reason, more a careful chicken :)

13. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I'll take a chicken over a bull any day (but perhaps that explains why I'm a non-red-meat eater). I just saw, when I first started looking at replacement drives, that people seemed to report that the Toshiba had a tendency to just work, and others, not always as much as trouble-free. That seemed to lead to a certain logical conclusion, in my mind.

14. sastexan

sastexan New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Actually, if you look at the 4 Lights Flashing on Bolt thread, there are a number of us with the MQ03ABB300 drive who are getting failures now. Likely due to overheating, or maybe just that it is not designed to be used in such a high-intensity environment. I am most likely going to switch over to using an external 3.5" drive in an enclosure that is plugged directly into the SATA port inside the unit for best reliability.

Anon1 and fis like this.
  15. chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Do you have a Roamio? You can add larger drives to the Roamio and use it like an Network Attached Storage for your Tivo files.

Or Weaknees.com has Roamio OTAs with up to 20 TB hard drives installed. 20TB is up from 8TB when I last checked.

leswar likes this.
  16. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    Im thinking about grabbing a Bolt so just to be clear. To replace the Bolt HDD it is a simple swap out like the Roamio's. No reformatting or anything else, just R&R.
    Also the 2.5 Toshiba HDD's are preferred to a Western Digital HDD?
    Also is 3TB the largest i can go with out doing things to a HDD i am not qualified to do??

Thanks!!

17. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    yes, although the case is a bit trickier but not a huge deal.
    yes,
    yes,

Joe01880 likes this.
  18. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Although, it seems fairly simple and quick, using freeware software available here, to prep. a larger replacement drive. MFS Reformatter (mfsr) Having said that, for ease, most people understandably seem to be doing 3TB or less.

19. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    Thank you very much, the 3TB's I have put in my Roamio's have severed me well so I'll stick with that size and give the Toshiba drive a shot although I really don't care for Toshiba anything!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Mikeguy likes this.
  20. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Don't know why folks would think the Toshiba would be better than the WD Blue that Tivo is using in its OEM units. I can say the WD Blue I just installed formatted and is working just fine in my brand new Bolt.

Anon1 and Joe01880 like this.