Hoarders - 1/3/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mrdazzo7, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Jan 3, 2011 #1 of 46
    mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006

Advertisements

I don't really watch Hoarders regularly but I've seen probably five or six episodes that I've come across since it's been on. I don't think anything I've seen on TV in a long time has pissed me off and made me want to punch my TV as much as the episode that aired tonight did.

First they have this nasty, foul woman who keeps chickens and birds in rubbermaid containers stacked on top of each other and has 4 acres of malnourished, pent up animals, then they have a guy with the denial and maturity of an infant who sat on his a** while his rabbits multiplied then completely destroyed his *landlord's* house.

Every time they cut to these animals, I got a wave of anger, which got worse every time that disgusting idiot was on screen. Why anyone in her family would give a **** about her is beyond me. I was happy when animal control showed up and hoped they would remove every single animal from the house but they just left. The blurb after the episode said she was officially charged with "failure to provide adequate shelter" or something, which isn't enough for me--animal cruelty would be the only way to go.

Then they have a grown man stomping around like a toddler every time something didn't go his way. He conveniently slipped out both times the landlords showed up, which pissed me off. I wanted the landlords to make him explain to them what he did to their property instead of leaving his sick wife to do it. The fact that someone is actually married to this retard gives me hope that maybe it won't be that bad for me, haha.

Ok, I feel better. I can't remember the last time something on TV actually angered me to this level. I want to fly to where these people are and kick the crap out them myself...

2. Jan 4, 2011 #2 of 46
    jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    Sounds like you should not watch the show.

3. Jan 4, 2011 #3 of 46
    Crow159

Crow159 Pandemic Special

Jul 28, 2004
    Abingdon, MD
    My wife loves all the hoarding shows. We haven't watched this one yet but I'm sure we'll have the same reaction as you.

I don't get why these people do what they do. I can almost understand the ones that just buy way too much stuff and have nowhere to put it all, but the ones that hoard the trash and filth I just can't understand.

4. Jan 4, 2011 #4 of 46
    Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    I watch it occasionally, but could not watch one that involved animals. Failure to provide an adequate environment as dictated by species is abuse IMO and all animals should be confiscated.

5. Jan 4, 2011 #5 of 46
    Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007

Advertisements

I think it's ironic I have 6 episodes on my Tivo I haven't watched yet...

6. Jan 4, 2011 #6 of 46
    Magister

Magister Fat, Dumb and Happy

Oct 17, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    That made me laugh.

7. Jan 4, 2011 #7 of 46
    JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    I quit watching this show, the people are obviously mentally ill. After the initial OMG factor it was just too disturbing to watch.

8. Jan 4, 2011 #8 of 46
    YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    Please don't watch Confessions of Animal Hoarding on Animal Planet, then.

9. Jan 4, 2011 #9 of 46
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Was this an original episode? I was looking through the Tivo guide last night, when I saw this episode mentioned on another board, and was unable to find it. Was it the A&E series, or the one on another channel (sorry, can't remember which channel - but one has Hoarders and one has Hoarding: Buried Alive)?

10. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    This was the a&e series, I believe. And yes, a new episode.

11. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Thank You! :) I'll have to look for it again. I have a season pass for both series but I didn't see either of them on last night's schedule. weird...

12. Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    . . . and now OWN (Oprah's Network) has a new show about hoarders too: Enough Already with Peter Walsh. I think it's just dealing with one hoarder + family per episode, so it goes into more depth about the causes and psychological stuff going on.

13. sharkster

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I'm an idiot! Good thing my Tivo isn't an idiot. I just found the show. What messed me up last night was the people discussing this show (in my same time zone!) were watching it at 8pm. Well, I looked through the guide at 8pm and before & didn't find it. Well, it aired at 10pm last night and, lo and behold, there it was on my Tivo this morning. D'OH!!

Anyway, I just watched it and found it so disturbing that I can't think of suitable words to describe how I feel. I would like premission to kill Hanna and beat the crap out of Gary. They belong with each other. What a couple of horrible human beings!

More should have been done on behalf of the animals, particularly in the case of that hellish Hanna woman. I am so beyond mad even thinking of her. I probably shouldn't have watched this particular ep.

Next week - RATS!!! hehehe oh boy.

14. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    The reason they are hoarders is because they all have some sort of psychological disorder that is causing them to be like this.

These are more than just "messy" or "lazy" people; these are people who are in absolute denial of what they have gotten themselves into. One thing you will find is that most if not all will deny that they are hoarders, and those that will admit it will themselves go into vapor lock once the crew starts throwing all the crap into the dumpster.

And you're not alone about being frustrated. There is one guy (I forget his name) who shows up in many episodes as part of the cleanup crew, and I have seen him absolutely GO OFF on many of the featured subjects. Personally, I don't think he's the right person for the job, as these folks require extra-special handling.

One recent episode I found interesting was how the teenage daughter was blaming herself for the house becoming pack-ratted, and how the mother was saying how she used to keep the house all neat and tidy. In reality it turns out the mother was the pack-ratter, and father and daughter really weren't the problem.

I've seen one follow-up episode and I'm hoping to see more. The one I want to know about is the New York episode where two brothers were fighting over their father's property and pack-ratted house, and the one still living in it had gotten a restraining order against his brother. I'm wondering if the city ordered the house demolished, since it easily in the worst condition of any house I've seen in the series.

15. mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Hahaha -- you're hoarding Hoarders... that sounds like an episode of Hoarders.

I don't, for this specific reason. I get that it's a mental disorder but that's why once the state is made aware of it they should absolutely come in and take every living thing away from these people. If a mentally ill parent was abusing their kid, the state wouldn't say "well it's an illness, they can't help it". It doesn't matter.

It pissed you off, right? haha. I was laughing at how mad I was watching this damn thing. I think they thing that did it for me was A: The chickens, etc, crammed into $^@*ing rubbermaid containers completely unable to move, and B: the fact that Gary did that to someone else's property. I'm an extremely patient and forgiving guy but if I were those landlords there is no way they'd be staying there after that amount of destruction. It wasn't just cosmetic stuff--wiring, plumbing, structural. Unforgivable.

I know it's a disorder but that's why it's up to the government to step in when it goes to far, especially when kids or animals are at stake. It's abuse. Not to mention the damage theyre doing to themselves. Plus in the other episode last night I only saw a few minutes but apparently the smell coming from the lady's house was so foul that the neighborhood had to get together to complain. These people were so disgusting that they hadn't been in the upstairs of their house in 20 years. WHAT?

The cleaning crew guy from these two episodes was remarkably patient. Like I said, I'm generally patient but I know for a fact that if I were anywhere near a situation like this I would go insane, especially if I had to deal with that Hanna lunatic. If she was a hoarder that'd be fine, but she's a filthy, abusive psycho who should be glad anyone even talks to her, let alone loves her enough to try to help her. I would have waited til she left the house then gone in and freed all those animals, to hell with what it did to her "fragile" mental state...

16. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    Hannah and Gary. Got it. Deleting that one ASAP. I hate the animal and trash ones, too. Too much shopping OTOH is something I can relate more to. :|

17. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    I've been meaning to watch this show for a while, and this episode happened to be in OnDemand. I'm not an animal person--the conditions for the animals didn't really bother me beyond "If someone comes in, takes all of Hanna's precious animals and she croaks of a heart attack, the world is probably better off."

Gary was downright scary. Something tells me he has probably left some "misdemeanor" bruises on his wife when she doesn't do exactly as he says.

I hope other episodes show a little more hope (and a lot less crazy)--I came away from this one wishing there were some sort of Dragnet style followup at the end saying how long everybody will be staying in prison.

18. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    I know this thread is episode specific, but I'm guessing this isn't really one of those shows we need to worry about spoiler warnings on. Figured after last night I'd give the show another shot, and I pulled up Andrew/Shania with OnDemand.

The Andrew portions of the episode were sad and really only showed how greedy some people can be. But I was really touched by the Shania portions. Shania was (maybe still is--not sure how old the ep was) a 14 year old girl living with her parents in a house filled to the brim with junk. Mom threatened to move out if something wasn't done to straighten up the house. And, just like the therapist on the show, my first guess was that mom was the root cause, and the threats were her way of maintaining control over everyone. Much like Gary, mom had no real desire to change, but she wanted everyone trembling over what she might do.

Seeing Shania realize where the fault actually lay, and seeing her start to take that control that her mother always tried to wrestle away from her, really helped balance out the idiotic behaviors of Gary and Hanna.

19. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    Andrew was the episode I mentioned above in which he had gotten a restraining order against his brother. It's the first episode I can remember in which I actually felt more sympathy for the hoarder than the family member trying to help him. Andrew is clearly crazy, but his brother came across as just being greedy and resentful that their father cut him out of the will. Even the "professional organizer" told Andrew's brother that he was coming across as being selfish and to knock it off.

Shania was the one I was talking about in which the teenager blamed herself for the family's hoarding problem, but in reality the mother was the problem all along.

20. Rkkeller

Rkkeller Well-Known Member

May 13, 2004
    I watch this show as sadly I have a friend that is like this. Not to the extreme as most on the show with rodents and rotted food but to the point of sometimes when I go there you can hardly walk around as there is so much stuff.

He has a pickup and rides around taking others peoples trash items like broken tables, TV's, vacumes, lawn mowers and things like that and collects them thinking they could be worth something. He can't fix anything himself so you go there and he will have 10-12 old broken TV's, 6-7 lawn mowers and so on.

He can't keep much outside the house as the township got on him, so all but the lawn mowers are inside now. He hasn't let me upstairs in 10+ years so it has to be really bad as it was bad back then.