Hmmm....is this right?? (long..sorry)

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by fredandbetty, Feb 27, 2006.

1. fredandbetty

fredandbetty New Member

Feb 27, 2006

Advertisements

i decided after a long time of reading these forums to go ahead and pull the trigger on getting a hi def tivo ( hughes hr10-250) and this is what i got...(or at least WAS going to get) :mad: :mad:

i called on dec 7, and was told that i could order today and pay

$399.00 ( with an instant rebate ) FOR THE HR10-250 , i then decided

to wait, and the person on the other end of the phone said that was

fine, and they would put it in the notes if i decided to call back and

go ahead with the order, so i told them i would call back.

now today, i called and asked about it at 9:11am on 2/27/2006 and

spoke with esther and she offered the following: $599.00 for the hd-

dvr, $200.00 mail-in rebate, $10.99 for hd programming, $14.95 s&h,

and $99.00 install but it would most likely be the r-15. i was

specifically looking for the hughes hd-250, and told her i would call

back after doing some checking, and hung up.

i then called again to customer service and talked to tanya, and she

gave me the same info as stated earlier, but then looked back a bit

and said that since i called on dec 7, i would be eligible for the

$399.00 price but she couldn't give that to me and i would have to be

transferred to a different department.

so now i was transferred to the unnamed department and talked to

danita, and she said that i could get the deal and started entering

the order into the computer, and came back a bit and said she couldn't

give me the deal and i asked why not, so she said that the deal is not

able to be put into the system because it wants to charge $599.00

instead of the $399.00...the information is no longer in the system...

How can that be when i was told by tanya that it was there and she was

looking at it for $399.00?? The order had to be taken by a completely

different department and that was the reason that i was transferred to

danita??!!! so after all of this, the price jumped $200.00 and i

decided to just say no to the deal but after thinking about it decided

to write to you because your offer was $399.00 to start and that i

wasn't being offered the original deal... can someone explain why i am

being subject to the "bait and switch" tactic???!! i haven't even

told you that i have been a customer for almost 10 years, and have had

ABSOLUTELY no problems whatsoever until now...

Can you please help??

We will see what happpens when i send them an e-mail...

2. rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon
    Just because they save the information in the computer doesn't mean you can call back more than two months later to get that same deal. It's definitely not bait and switch, you chose to wait more than 60 days before trying to see if you could get that same deal.

You snooze, you lose. Just go buy it online for $417 (with $200 rebate making it $217) and be done with it.

3. Guindalf

Guindalf Now with added dalf

Jun 13, 2001
    First, there is NO WAY you were offered an R15 as it's an SD DVR, not an HD TiVo box - two completely different animals.

Second, how can you expect to get the same deal almost THREE MONTHS later?? If I was a CSR, I would expect you to call back within a day or two, not nearly 90 days later.

As Rifleman say, suck it up and buy one online.

4. fredandbetty

fredandbetty New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    thanks!! i was just wondering if i had lost my mind!! i most likely will just get it online... no clue why i waited 3 months, but i completely forgot that i had called then...

5. fredandbetty

fredandbetty New Member

Feb 27, 2006

Advertisements

as to guindalf, i'm just saying what i was told as to the r-15... thats all

6. nellee

nellee New Member

May 26, 2002
    San Francisco

where exactly can I buy this for that price? :confused:

7. Guindalf

Jun 13, 2001
    You can't. The price has actually gone down!

Follow this link!

8. fastep

fastep New Member

May 21, 2004
    annapolis...
    If satellite is the best option for you - look into Dish Network VIP622 - So far I have read positive reports. Much cheaper, no mandatory contracts and from what I have read - a better interface, better PQ and more HD channels.

I personally prefer cable and their FREE (upfront anyway) HD DVR.

If you go with Dish - please let us know how you like it. Thanks.

DTV is the ONLY HDTV service provider with MANDATORY contracts. Also - if you spend good money on the HR10-250 and you have to send it back for replacement, you will probably end up with the HR20 and the NDS interface. So far - very BAD reports on NDS R15. BEWARE!

9. Guindalf

Jun 13, 2001
    Where did you hear this?

I have no experience of the E* products, but from what I've read, there isn't a decent Dish box in existance.

I'm not doubting you, but everything I've seen points to high purchase prices and a poor quality box (failing recordings, bad interface, etc.)

Just curious.

10. tem

tem Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2003
    fastep seems to have some sort of massive chip on his shoulder. Virtually every post he makes slams D* and tells people to get cable or E*.

Give it up already.

11. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I had exactly the same type of thing entered in my account notes by the Retention CSR last September when I set up my move for the following week. I negotiated at the time the HR10-250 price, plus the move package, plus a credit for HD and for locals and 2 new SD installs.

They told me at the time that I should call back on the HR10 once the other stuff was done and the move was complete. They told me that way, they could apply the 200 credit on the HR10 as a separate transaction and it would not look like as big a credit on the 'move' transaction. I told them in that case it would likely be a couple of months as I was finsihing out a new media room. They said OK.

Two months later, just before T-Day, all was ready and I called Retention back. They checked the notes, charged me 599 with a 200 credit and sent me a 100 rebate form.

It was a complete piece of cake. So, unless you have some kind of inside-news, quantum-force channel to D*, "you snooze you lose" just doesn't cut it as educated feedback for the OP. ;)

12. Guindalf

Jun 13, 2001
    Thanks.

Interesting, but it is only one person's opinion. I'd like to see more before I would consider a switch.

13. fastep

fastep New Member

May 21, 2004
    annapolis...

Just trying to educate the masses about options and competitor policies through ALOT of research. If you like inferior crap and long contracts - good for you. Some of the rest of us care about what bang we get for our buck!!

14. fastep

fastep New Member

May 21, 2004
    annapolis...

The 622 is too new and hasn't received mass feedback yet. Since no contract maybe you can try Dish for free?? If so, give it a try and let us know about their new DVR. I would call first to see if you'll be out any money if you cancel. Please let us know. Thanks.

15. Guindalf

Jun 13, 2001

Not gonna happen. Not only do I have three D* DVRs (HR10-250, DSR704 and R15) active and a Hughes DVR40 in a box, I'm not going to splash out $300 on another DVR that may or may not be better!

I'll look for others to be my guinea pigs - and there are plenty of sheep out there - bofore I even consider a move. The only reason I even own an R15 is because it came in the DVR4Me promo and is in a spare room so I can play with it.

In the meantime, I'm not going to bash D*, E* or anyone else without enough evidence to back me up, so please, I beg of you, do the same - especially in a TiVo forum!

16. hiker

hiker S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Nov 29, 2001
    SF Bay Area...
    E* is not selling the VIP622 yet. Availablility is by lease, and according to E* documents you can see at SatelliteGuys, there is a 18 month term agreement required and $299.99 up front cost.

17. fastep

fastep New Member

May 21, 2004
    annapolis...

I was just trying to help you not get stuck with another TWO year contract with DTV... Sorry for trying!

I'm not bashing - I call it like I see it. This Tivo forum is exactly the place to post info that may HELP people make decisions about their future with HD and HD Dvrs.

People who sit on their hands and make no effort are like people who don't vote.

They don't count.

At least I'm making the effort through trial and error as well as through research. I guess you can call me a guinea pig......

18. fastep

fastep New Member

May 21, 2004
    annapolis...
    Just called Dish 1-800-966-7147 and as long as you have good credit - NO CONTRACT and CANCEL AT ANY TIME!!!!!!They will EVEN PAY for you to send the VIP622 back to them FOR A COMPLETE REFUND if sent back within 30 days!!! Also dish cs rep said something about current promos of free stuff you get just for trying the 622.

So, if you have good credit (5 minute credit check, so cs rep says)- there ain't nothin stoppin ya baby - except your wife of course! Or maybe you like to be used and abused!!

19. hiker

hiker S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Nov 29, 2001
    SF Bay Area...
    Maybe there's no contract for new customers but I think the CSR you spoke to is wrong.
    See attached PDF for current E* customers.

Attached Files: