HITACHI Deskstar HD31000 on sale $69.99

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by EvilMidniteBombr, Apr 15, 2010.

1. EvilMidniteBombr

EvilMidniteBombr what bomz at midnite

May 25, 2006
    Parts...

Advertisements

Newegg has this drive on sale for $69.99 with free shipping, if you have the promo code sent to their email subscribers. I'm seriously considering buying this to upgrade my current drive. Does anyone have any pros/cons about this drive?

I would post the code but the email says it is unique to each subscriber. If you get that email and are considering upgrading your TiVo hard drive, you might want to check it out. Hurry, it expires 4/21.

2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    That seems to be pretty much the "current sale price". (It's back to $84.99 at Amazon, but it was that same price at Fry's and was the gold box [and stayed that price at least a day or so later] at amazon, etc..)

It seems like they're clearing inventory.

3. Enrique

Enrique Well-Known Member

May 15, 2006
    Newegg has it listed on their website as EMCYRZS28.

The only bad thing is you have to subscribe to their newsletter to use the code.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145287

4. EvilMidniteBombr

May 25, 2006
    Parts...
  5. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID

Advertisements

I think you can find my comments in the upgrade thread, but I've had this drive for a while now, and no problems. Easy install, following the advice in the FAQ. Quiet, works great. Mine is full (with current HD programming requests and 357 Tivo Suggestions(mostly SD), at the moment), and has been for a while, so lots of reads/writes/overwrites/etc.

6. jbarm

jbarm Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Just installed this unit in my S3. First install was problematic for me. But after I cleared and deleted the drive and did the full upgrade/copy process it seems to be working well today.

Used a dual dock eSATA device via USB to do the upgrade, less of a hassle than cracking my tower open.

jb

7. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    Perhaps all of the sales are due to the SATA/600 new drives.

8. trunksy

trunksy New Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Can anyone who laready has this verify that this just the Deskstar 7K1000.C (model HDS721010CLA332) in retail packaging? The bare drive is $5 cheaper.

9. EvilMidniteBombr

May 25, 2006
    Parts...
    I bought one on the last day of the sale and installed it yesterday. It is way quieter than the 500GB Seagate I that I had previously upgraded to. I could easily hear that thing clicking from across the room. I can barely hear the HD31000 with my ear next to the machine.

I have already zipped mine back up but that is the same number I got off of the drive and wrote down in the manual.

10. trunksy

trunksy New Member

Apr 26, 2010

Thanks for sharing that the HD31000 is just a retail kit for the bare drive Deskstar 7K1000.C.

Also, Thanks for sharing that the Hitachi drive is working out better for you than your Seagate. Did you have a Seagate Pipeline drive before or was it one of the standard non-noise optimized Seagate Barracuda drives?

11. EvilMidniteBombr

May 25, 2006
    Parts...
    It was just a standard Seagate Barracuda that I bought from woot.com back in Sept '08. I seem to recall that I was not able to sound optimize it before I put it in. Not sure if it was something I missed or if it was just not possible.