History Channel series: Ice Road Truckers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by tecban, Jun 15, 2007.

1. tecban

tecban New Member

Oct 10, 2005
    GR, MI

Advertisements

I saw a story about ice road trucking in a truckers' magazine last week, and it sounded kind of intriguing. It's certainly not anything I'd heard of before, and I plan to at least watch the first episode or two just to learn more about it. Could be interesting a la Deadliest Catch - we'll have to wait and see.

The series starts this Sunday, June 17 at 10PM eastern.

2. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    They had a TV show about these truckers awhile back. It talked about a road that is over a frozen lake and the supplies can only be delievered after it has frozen over. It was worth watching.

3. MikeD99

MikeD99 Leesburg, VA

Nov 11, 2005
    Oh, is there a show about ice road truckers? I hadn't noticed the 50 commercials for it every hour on the History channel.

Mike D.

4. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    some of us dont watch commercials and instead rely on the tivo board for suggestions :)

5. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas

Advertisements

I've seen some one-off documentaries on this before. It's pretty interesting, really. Very unusual job.

6. jcoulter

jcoulter New Member

Aug 27, 2005
    Can't seem to set a season pass. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
    jc

7. packerfan

packerfan Elk Whisperer

Jan 7, 2002
    Titletown
    What's a commercial?

8. scsiguy72

scsiguy72 OTA Only..Free TV

Nov 25, 2003
    California Guy
    I really liked it. I sat in front of the TV with White knuckles. Hearing the ice crack as the trucks rolled over the lake and the blinding snowstorms were enough to make me shiver.

9. dirtypacman

dirtypacman Coming and going

Feb 3, 2004
    MA

+1 to that I was going to say the same thing...

I liked the presentation (very similar to "Deadliest Catch")

Would recommend it as a filler for time.

10. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    Very interesting first episode. Something tells me that Mike Rowe doing the voice overs would make it even better.

11. Steve_Martin

Steve_Martin Grandminion

Jul 18, 2004
    Orange...
    Agreed. I think the voiceover guy is the annoying guy from Monster Garage.

12. billboard_NE

billboard_NE North Shore MA

May 18, 2005
    I can't say for sure, but the "cracking ice sound" sounded canned, It sounded like they played the same sound every time. I will be re-watching, but that was just my feeling.

Bill

13. billboard_NE

billboard_NE North Shore MA

May 18, 2005
    going to spoilerize because I can't recall if this was a preview of next weeks show.

I loved it when cocky new guy set the cruise control and said he hasn't seen any ditch's, then he drove into one!

14. Ntombi

Ntombi New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Bostonian...
    I set a SP for it, but haven't seen it yet. I'm glad to know it's not a waste.

15. UTV2TiVo

UTV2TiVo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Sacramento...
    I haven't been able to set up a SP either. TiVo doesn't even give me an option. It's like TiVo sees it as a movie or something.
    I'm going to have to set up an auto recording wishlist to capture the new episodes.
    I assume it's a guide problem and is categorized incorrectly.

First episode was pretty good but I doubt it will be as good as deadliest catch because of the more solitary nature of truck driving.

16. jcoulter

jcoulter New Member

Aug 27, 2005
    Check out this thread for an explanation.

Very cool episode. This is something I would love to do if I had the opportunity.

17. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Once you have one episode recorded, try going to "More Options" in the description page for the recorded show and see if you can set up a Season Pass from there. I have a Season pass for IRT and I think this is how I did it (but I don't really remember).

18. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    This show is interesting, but I am very annoyed by the "Seconds from Disaster"-style pacing of it. The narration is very slow and repetitive. Every episode seems to assume that nobody has watched the episode before it. They can stop showing that CGI truck going through the ice every time as well.

19. MarkofT

MarkofT ****

Jul 27, 2001
    Where Texas...
    Just started watching this. Quite and interesting show. Poor Drew just can win.

20. jones07

jones07 eff.org warrior

Jan 30, 2001
    Phila, Pa....
    Yeah poor Drew couldn't catch a break. 90% of his troubles was not his fault.........imo

I knew how he felt because about 24 years ago, I had a job where everything that could go wrong did go wrong for me. I also quit before the owner could fired me.

Best thing that could have happened, 3 months later I got the job of my life :)