HIMYM S07E11 "The Rebound Girl" 21 Nov 2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Amnesia, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Last ten seconds: Wow!

2. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Do. Not. Want.

This might just be the final thing that makes me delete my SP.

3. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    So it turns out to be a shotgun wedding? ;)

4. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    We didn't see Robin in the wedding scene...maybe she was/will be pregnant...

5. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Oh good heavens yes. I thought this was a mostly-unsuccessful episode anyway -- the Marshall and Lilly subplot was reasonable, and reasonably funny; but the Ted and Barney subplot was ludicrous and unfunny -- but this new who's -the-daddy twist is awful. Just awful.

6. billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    I don't love the pregnancy, but I thought the rest of the episode was fairly classic HIMYM. Though it was silly, the Ted/Barney thing worked because they are both in bad places and reaching for something. And of course in the end Ted is th reasonable one, as Barney takes everything too far. And the Marshall/Lily thing worked because it made sense for them. I liked that the storylines came out of their lives and characters, not for some made up reason.

7. billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    Barney's little spiel about how great it would be to be gay was hilarious.

8. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Yeah that was the only part I actually giggled over.

I kept thinking we just had this entire storyline with the house just a few episodes ago. Now not only do we get it again but it seems they are actually moving there?

I've never been interested in Robin/Barney and this is just unacceptable.

Ted remains a dbag. No wonder he can't get a girl.

9. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    We finally found out just what Barney's job is. He works! :D

10. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I think we liked this show better in the earlier seasons because it was a lot more simpler. But as the characters aged, just like life, things have gotten a lot less simple. This show has become less of a funny sitcom and more of a drama sitcom focusing on relationships (with a laugh track). I'm going to keep the SP.

The Barney and Robin thing doesn't bother me too much.

Ted has been a minor character this season, which actually works. I think the problem with why he's such a tool is because they need to keep throwing him in relationships that don't work.

With the way things are going, Ted might be the focus character next season since Marshal and Lily will be in LI and Barney plus Robin will likely be married with their own baby. Hopefully there's some payoff (the mother) if that's the case, Ted has been the least likable character on the show and if my speculation is correct, Ted's better have some major growth as a character soon so I can like him again.

11. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I'm not a fan of the pregnancy story angle, but I do like that Marshall and Lily are rethinking their previous plan to sell the house. Isn't it pretty normal for couples to move to the burbs once they start having kids? So if they have a house given to them, it becomes pretty stupid for them not to move to it, just to keep the mechanics of the show intact.

12. tanyatnt

tanyatnt Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Cupertino, CA
    I've always been a fan of the Robin/Barney relationship because I do think they're like 2 peas in a pod and I've been hoping they end up together.

Having said that, this pregnancy twist?!? Ummm ... NO! I do not want that and given what happened last week I can see them going to the Ross/Rachel well again and have them co-parent without actually being a couple. That storyline sucked on Friends and it would suck here too. *sigh* I used to enjoy this show so much more! :(

On a positive note, I did enjoy the Barney/Ted storyline as it was good for a few laughs and it gave me the ultimate payoff ... WAYNE BRADY!! :up::p

13. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Sometimes it feels like I can't give the show a break, since, like in this episode, I object to both sides of an issue I have. It is indeed completely natural for Lilly and Marshall to move to the suburbs given where they are in life. But it makes no sense for the dynamic of the show, because if they move there is no plausible way that the "hang out" nature of the show could persist. So even though moving is a realistic thing to show them doing, I object to it. Meanwhile, I objected to the adoption storyline because it was so patently unrealistic. I don't accept that these characters, messed up or not, would consider that, nor do I think they are so stupid as to think they would actually get a kid if that were in fact what they want to do. So I had issues with both the realistic and unrealistic parts of the episode.

Those issues pale in comparison to the issues I have the pregnancy twist, though.

14. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Incidentally, there are some minor spoilery comments about the pregnancy twist and the Robin/Barney/Kevin triangle from show runner Carter Bays in this post on ew.com.

Don't read that if you want to know nothing.

15. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    They both work in the city. That means they still hang around at least until the baby is born. And who says they don't do weekends at their house, etc. they may even stay in the city during work weeks.

16. MarkofT

MarkofT ****

Jul 27, 2001
    Where Texas...
    Not Rhode Island. Long Island.

17. JoBeth66

JoBeth66 Temp

Feb 15, 2002
    Lily's a teacher, she can find work on LI. Marshall works in the city, but East Meadow is a really quick drive to the Bellmore station on the LIRR, and it's about a 45 minute trip from Bellmore to Penn Station. BTDT.

Tons of people do it every day.

Not to mention, with no mortgage/rent to pay, they could afford for Lily to be a SAHM. :)

18. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    Oh great. I missed the final ten seconds. Let me go back and see if it's on my TiVo.

19. YCantAngieRead

YCantAngieRead Not Entirely Current

Nov 5, 2003
    Er. Okay.

I like Barney and Robin together. I like Barney with depth.

20. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    As I said earlier, I agree it is realistic for their characters to do this. It is NOT realistic within the dynamic of the show, though.