high winds and the new sat. mpeg4 dish

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by tpamsam, Mar 14, 2006.

1. tpamsam

tpamsam New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    chillicothe,...
    The new bigger mpeg 4 dish has did exceptionally well in high winds. I didn't lose any signal strength at all during one of the windest? days in a few years at my home. My house sits where it gets a lot of wind, this new dish did great. My older 3 lbn dish use to lose signal strength in high winds, this dish didn't... Good News...

2. PRMan

PRMan New Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Yorba...
    Windiest.

That is good news.

3. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    May not be the dish - may be a more solid mount or better job of installing it.

I would think a larger dish would be less suseptible to signal fade since it has a larger dish area.

4. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Mine held up pretty well to..

We had gusts that ticked over the 50's.

And during just a normal day, the dish jiggles a bit on average wind. (I don't have the extra mountings for the top of the dish).

But... even last night, when you could hear the wind moving the walls of the house...
    The signal stayed in the upper 90's.

And I am on the edge of our un-finished subdivision.. with about a mile off open land, so I got the full blast of the wind right into the back of the dish (Based on the angles)

5. smassey321

smassey321 New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    How many coax do you need to run to the new dish? I need to pre-run some wire. thanks

6. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    4 but you may want a 5th, for a dedicated OTA signal