High Temperature on Bolt+

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by HighTechMN, Sep 29, 2016.

1. HighTechMN

HighTechMN New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Minneapolis, MN

Advertisements

Apologies if this question has been answered elsewhere. I've found some general discussions that touched on the topic of heat. Several have reported ODT on their Bolts around 60 +/-. However, I installed a Bolt+ last week and ODT is measuring 68-71 on an open shelf. Low 60's in standby mode. Any thoughts on whether I should be concerned about this?

P.S. I contacted TiVo and they were not able to provide the normal operating temperature range. They simply said that the unit will shut down if the temperature gets too hot. I'd rather not test that out!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  2. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    The temperatures of the Bolt line aren't great, but it is a normal temp for the Bolt+.

3. photoflow

photoflow New Member

Apr 17, 2017
    Hello-

I'm new to the TiVo community as I just purchased a TiVo Bolt+. Along the lines of this thread topic, I also see the ODT consistently hovering around 69. At 69 the Bolt+ unit seems to be functioning normally, but it seems very hot to the touch on top of the unit, maybe just in front or close to where the cable coax input is located. Is this normal or should I be concerned? Appreciate any feedback from other TiVo Bolt+ owners. Thanks in advance!!!

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    While I don't have a Bolt+, those numbers seem high. If possible, I would unplug the box for several hours. Then apply power and quickly check the ODT. It should give you a baseline of what it thinks room temperature should be. I'm wondering if the sensor is wrong. It seems all TiVo units read high. Or they warm up really really fast. :)

5. photoflow

photoflow New Member

Apr 17, 2017

Advertisements

The number seems a little high to me as well, but an ODT reading of 69 is consistent with the Bolt+ experience from the original poster of this forum thread. I did try to unplug the unit for a while, then plugged back in, but again same results with ODT of 69. Maybe this is a common ODT reading for those with Bolt+ units. Happy to hear more from other Bolt+ owners.

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I wouldn't lose sleep over this. I give equal probability to poor sensor placement vs. poor conversion, calculation and/or display. I just applied power to my Premiere and it indicates 33C, or 91F, and my room is 71F.

7. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Time to make fried eggs . . . . ;)

8. Chimaera43

Chimaera43 New Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Some folks, including me, were able to reduce ODT a few degrees by placing a USB powered laptop cooler under their TiVo Bolt/Bolt+.