High pitched "whine" - from second Brand New TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by wackychimp, Nov 15, 2005.

1. wackychimp

wackychimp New Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Ok we got our first TiVo last week. ;) A brand new 40hr unit and it emitted a high pitched "whine" from the box (not through the TV speakers) that was audible even with the TV sound on. I was confident that it was not the fan but suspected is was the hard drive about to fail.

We took it back to Best Buy and got a new one with out much hassle. The second unit does the exact same thing.

I saw another posting on here about it possibly being a crossed wire or power strip issue but I took it and plugged it in to an outlet with nothing else on the same outlet (in another room) and it makes the same noise.

The most annoying thing is that it does it 24/7 and any time you walk into the living room you hear it.

So am I just getting faulty TiVos or is there something else I can try?

2. thezoo

thezoo New Member

Oct 26, 2003

might be the hard drive. Im just guessing tho.

take it back and try a different store.

--Bill

3. joshdev

joshdev JoshDev

Oct 28, 2005
    My one Tivo makes a bit of a whine too. For me, I think it has to do with extra vibrations the unit is putting off. I found that by cutting a few small squares from the styrofoam packaging the tivo came in, and setting them underneath each corner of the Tivo, that it cut out a lot of the noise. It doesn't look as nice, but its worth the peace and quiet.

--Josh

4. JoEbY

JoEbY New Member

Jan 1, 2005
    This story sounds exactly like mine. I got an 80-hour Series 2 TiVo DVR for Christmas 2004, and it's perfectly quiet. There's just a soft, pleasant blowing sound from the fan.

For Christmas this year, we got a second TiVo DVR for our bedroom, this time a 40-hour one. Immediately when I plugged it in, I heard a high-pitched whine reminiscent of a spinning hard drive (you could even appreciate the acceleration of it on power-up). The toothpick test confirmed it was not the fan, and it's clearly not case vibration. My wife started getting headaches and couldn't sleep within the first 2 nights. I returned it to Best Buy, exchanged it for another one, and the Geek Squad guys let me unpack it and plug in right there. It made the same exact noise, so I returned it on the spot.

I called TiVo Customer Support today. The earnest but clearly inexperienced tech understood my problem and assured me that it must have simply been my bad luck to get two noisy ones in a row.

I'm not sure I believe him. Does anyone know if there is a known difference between the hard drive noise between 80-hour and 40-hour DVRs?

5. MokTask

MokTask New Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Doing diligent searching of the forums here, found the other thread at : /showthread.php?t=280032 (I can't post urls yet...)

Where I'll paste the same text here, because I think this is very important. Now that I think about it may be HD noise I hear, sounds like it is on a constant "spin-up" cycle. If that is the true case, I'm planning on replacing the HD anyway, maybe that would take care of it?

Sounds like if I return/exchange it, I'm going to have the same exact problem, as others are saying that duplicate units do the same thing.

Mok

6. ratell

ratell New Member

Jan 19, 2006
    We had a 40 hour unit that also had a high-pitched whine. After a long time on the phone with Tivo that agreed to exchange it. The new unit doesn't have the high-pitched whine.

If it matters we also got our original unit from Best Buy

7. unixboymd

unixboymd UNIXBOYMD

Mar 23, 2005
    MD / DC Metro
    My new Tivo (series 2) that I recieved for Christmas (from Best Buy) has the same high pitched whine. At first I thought it was just me. But then I listened to the other 2 tivos (both series 2) that we own and neither of them has any noise coming from them.