High pitched sound - won't power up...

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by kkoh, Sep 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. kkoh

kkoh Member

Mar 31, 2017
    oHIo

Advertisements

I recently noticed a high pitched sound in my living room and when my kids tried to turn on my TCD652160 there was nothing... I power cycled it and nothing. Being a sysadmin my first thought was "Oh no, hard drive failure" so I rushed here to get an image. While waiting for a reply to the request I took the old girl apart, coughed through a decade of nasty hairballs and dust mites, and pulled the drive in preparation for a new one...

On a whim, and because I assumed the drive was already too damaged to salvage I plugged it into my HDD-to-USB bridge and low and behold, no high pitched noise - just the normal sound of drive spin-up (DOH)! So I plugged in the TiVo and hear the sound. It's not coming from the fan so I have to guess it's the power supply. All of the caps look good though.

Before I order a replacement and in the meantime put a newer drive in, is there any other thing this noise could be coming from? How would I test to ensure it's the power supply?

Thanks,
    kk

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Power supply issues are common with the old Series 3. Mostly the capacitors need to be replaced.

sliderbob likes this.
  3. kkoh

kkoh Member

Mar 31, 2017
    oHIo
    Ok... I wasn't ready to try the "fun" of soldering seeing as how I haven't tinkered with it in a decade or two... bought a replacement one on ebay and will try the swap when it get's here. I'm wondering if the high pitched scream could come from something else? I had the hard drive removed upon last test and the fan was spinning fine and to my ear the wound wasn't coming from a fan bearing... nothing else in there left could really make the sound I suppose.

4. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
  5. kkoh

kkoh Member

Mar 31, 2017
    oHIo

Advertisements

Well the eBay item I bought on Saturday somehow magically was in the mailbox this morning. That's FAST. I plugged it in and no high pitched noise... WIN!

:)

fcfc2 likes this.
  6. kkoh

kkoh Member

Mar 31, 2017
    oHIo
    ...and just put it all back together with upgraded drive and I see those little antenna smiling at me :D

7. Luke M

Luke M Member

Nov 5, 2002
    So what was the problem? Power supply?

8. kkoh

kkoh Member

Mar 31, 2017
    oHIo
    Yeah I'd say it's definitive because:

1> I was able to expand to 500G from my original drive while I waited for the part
    2> The high pitched sound still occurred after power up with the HD removed
    3> The new power supply I put in made the sound go away and my (now 70 hour) TiVo is back in business

ThAbtO likes this.