High pitched sound, turning off Quickmode

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by drweb, Mar 14, 2018.

1. drweb

drweb TiVo User & Lover

Sep 17, 2008
    California
    Hi,
    Need a little help, puzzling sound problem. TiVo Bolt, and new SONY TV at Christmas. All good, except when I play in Quickmode and then use SELECT to turn it off, there a high-pitched sound, whine, or click, that comes in. Doesn't last long, but annoying (and to my wife!).
    See attached sound file, plays the sound towards the end.
    Any ideas? I reset the TV to the default sound settings, and it didn't go away.
    I don't know if it's the TiVo, the TV, the remote. I use the TiVo remote to control the tv, FYI.

Best,
    DrWeb

Attached Files:

2. jsessler

jsessler New Member

Dec 2, 2002
    The recent Sony firmware update caused a problem for Dolby Digital playback. They released a new firmware on Friday that fixes it.

aaronwt and drweb like this.
  3. drweb

drweb TiVo User & Lover

Sep 17, 2008
    California
    Wonderful news.. did I have to update settings on the TV to get it, or will it arrive automagically? :)

Thanks,
    DrWeb

4. tluxon

tluxon Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Kirkland, WA
    I get that same sound - not when turning Quickmode off - but when the Bolt finishes a show and is waiting for me to select Delete or Keep. Worse, though, is that the squeal continues until the selection is made or it times out, which can be 30 seconds or so. I actually didn't realize the sound was coming from the Sony TV (assumed it was the Bolt but didn't confirm it), but it makes sense because our other 2 Bolts are not making that sound. Hopefully the Sony TV will get the update soon.

5. drweb

drweb TiVo User & Lover

Sep 17, 2008
    California
    The TV has the latest software updates. And I still have the sound. It didn't fix it. :(
    Anyway to let them know it's still not working?
    Best,
    DrWeb

6. drweb

drweb TiVo User & Lover

Sep 17, 2008
    California
    Thanks, I hope so. See above notes in this thread. In TV Settings, it shows I have received all the updates from Sony. So, why isn't the sound working?
    Maybe I'll try and find SONY firmware on the Web, and let them know it's still not working correctly.
    Best,
    DrWeb

7. drweb

drweb TiVo User & Lover

Sep 17, 2008
    California
    Update: I may have fixed this, and the mistake I suppose was mine. I had gone into Settings > Audio & Video and setup Dolby there, thinking it was a good thing to enable. I changed it to standard (PCM), and the sound problem I had was gone. Perhaps this will help others. It was in the TiVo settings, not the Sony TV, it appears. In checking the firmware for the TV, I had the latest. And I found out my model, xbr-55x900E has a X1 processor, not the X1 Extreme that a firmware update setup Dolby Vision for models with the X1 Extreme processor. When I found that out, I went back to my devices and in checking TiVo sound settings, realized I had the Dolby setting on, in error. I don't have an external A/V setup, thus, that was not something I should have enabled. Closed case. :)
    Best,
    DrWeb

8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The sounds were caused when switching between Dolby and PCM. (It would happen even going through receiver.) Like when you go back into the menus from watching a show. I updated my 2015 Sony UHD TV last week and the new firmware corrected the issue. Switching to PCM was not a solution for me since it is taking the 5.1 signal and forcing it to a 2.0 signal. So audio wise that is not very good.

Also even with the TV, the Tv will do a better job with the 5.1 DD signal than the TiVo. Even my Tvs from many years ago handled 5.1 DD without any problem. Any TV that I've used Tv speakers with I've always sent DD from the TiVos. Since the 2.0 pcm from the TiVos seem to flatten the soundfield much more than sending 5.1 directly to the TV.

drweb likes this.
  9. drweb

drweb TiVo User & Lover

Sep 17, 2008
    California
    Thanks, good points. Glad it worked that way for you.