High Pitched Noise

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by travel25, Jan 3, 2006.

1. travel25

travel25 New Member

Jan 3, 2006

Advertisements

Hi - new TiVo user, just had it about a week now. And I'm hearing a high pitched noise, sounds like a cooling fan running, similar to a computer. Is it like that on all TiVos? It's not incredibly loud, but enough that I hear it when I walk by the unit. Any thoughts? It's a little annoying.

2. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    There is a cooling fan in there just like in many computers but it should not be noisy. Is your unit still under warranty? If not, the fans can easily be replaced if you don't mind opening it up.

3. JoEbY

JoEbY New Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Is it a 40-hour Series 2? I honestly think the latest 40-hour ones all have this problem. I haven't bought an 80-hour one to find out because I'd rather not spend the extra $100.

4. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    The 80-hour has everything the same except for the hard drive.

I wonder why someone would think the 40-hour ones all have this problem.
    :confused:

5. MokTask

MokTask New Member

Jan 12, 2006

Advertisements

My brand new 540040 has the same "problem". A high-pitched whine, very annoying. If it were in my bedroom, it wouldn't be there long.

I'm thinking about cracking it open to see if it /is/ the fan, and replace it myself, but I'm going to spend some time listening to it first, just to make sure. hate to void the warantee for something that isn't making the noise.

Sounds like the hard-drive is in a constant high-spin. First night it was hooked up, my wife said it sounded like a VCR recording, they "type" of sound.

If other people are noticing it, have they "fixed" it by replacing the fan? Are other stock units not experiencing the noise?

I'd really like to know. I have no qualms about taking it back to CC for an exchange, I haven't sent in the rebate form yet.....

Mok

6. JoEbY

JoEbY New Member

Jan 1, 2005
    I think all 40-hour ones have this problem because I have an 80-hour one that doesn't make noise, and have returned two 40-hour ones that did. Also, it is the hard drive making the noise, not the fan. If the only difference between the two is the hard drive, that makes it even more plausible.

7. JoEbY

JoEbY New Member

Jan 1, 2005
    You don't have to open it or void the warranty. Just put a toothpick in the fan before you plug it in and hold the fan so it can't spin. Power it up and see if the noise appears. That's how I determined for sure it was the hard drive and not the fan.

8. MokTask

MokTask New Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Well, I forgot I replied to this thread a while back.

I went ahead and upgraded my Tivo to a 250gig hard-drive.

The second I had both drives on the test PC for the copy-over (saved everything from my original 40gig) I KNEW the sound was the hard drive. Power that thing up, and there was the whine.

Needless to say, not only do I now have HUGE storage space compared to the 40hours at basic (something like 81 hours on Best now) but the high-pitched whine is gone.

Good thing I am saving that original 40gig hard-drive for backup purposes in case the 250gig bites it, because I know I wouldn't be using it in any other hardware, ever. It is /that/ annoying.