High Pitch Whine from Power Supply

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jubrand, Oct 3, 2007.

1. jubrand

jubrand Temporarily Stairs

May 11, 2002
    Chicago
    My drive just went on my series 2, and I replaced it with a new one. Ever since I turned it back on, a very high pitched, annoying whine (like when a TV is on, but the sound is turned off, but way worse) has been coming from the power supply, as far as I can tell.

Is there anything I can do about this? Can the power supply be replaced if it's defective?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Are you sure it's the power supply? Much more likely to be the new hard drive, or internal fan.

3. chip_r

chip_r Member

Apr 27, 2006
    Southeast PA
    As suggested, you may want to make sure it's not the fan or drive itself.

If you've removed the top with the box running and still hear it from the supply (don't stick your ear too close :) ) then it could indeed be the switching supply.

It's possible the change in electrical load from the new drive is bringing out a flaw that was always there. I've heard switchers before and they can be annoying.

You may want to check out weakeness.com as they carry replacment supplies for a number of models. Just be careful, unplug the unit, and wait about 5-10 minutes before handing the supply.

4. jubrand

jubrand Temporarily Stairs

May 11, 2002
    Chicago
    I'm positive it's the power supply. I opened it up and listened closely. I'm going to see if I can deal with it or if it tapers off. Otherwise I'll try weaknees. Thanks!

5. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I had a power supply do the same thing on my first Tivo. Luckely when I bought it at Best Buy I paid for the extended warrenty. It started doing it 6 months after the original warrenty ran out. I took it back to Best buy they checked it out and said the power supply was bad. They gave me a gift card fot the amount I paid for the unit and they kept the Tivo. I walked back to their TV department and bought a new one using the gift card to pay for it. I didnt realise til I got to the register that there was a $150 rebate on the new one. The extended warrenty really paid off for me.