High Definition Tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jmjuergensen, Jan 8, 2006.

1. jmjuergensen

jmjuergensen New Member

Dec 27, 2005
    I've got a question I was hoping someone could help me out with. I recently purchased a new HDTV. I had been using Tivo on the new TV until I was able to get Comcast to come and hookup the new HD cable box so I could watch the HD channels. Well now that they hooked up the new cable box, I am not able to use Tivo anymore because of two reasons:

1) There are not anymore remaining input/output jacks available

2) If there were output jacks available, I'm not sure what hookup gets plugged into what hole since the colors are different (green & blue).

Is there some sort of thing I can buy to make my Tivo compatible with my new HDTV or am I just screwed? I can get an HD DVR from Comcast for $5.00/month, but I would rather just use Tivo, I like it much better.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

2. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Currently there's an HD TiVo for satellite and one for cable was seen at CES, but the problems you list are just lack of inputs and outputs which can be overcome with splitters and/or switches. Or, if the TV is very new, you could consider exchanging it for a model with a more reasonable number of inputs.

3. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    What brand and model HDTV do you have? I find it difficult to believe that any HDTV lacks appropriate inputs for connecting a TiVo.

4. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    You mean that your cable box has *no* red/white/yellow composite outputs? That would be exceedingly unusual.

5. thelastvoice

thelastvoice New Member

Feb 13, 2004
    Hollywood, CA
    My aunt has Comcast in Santa Fe, NM and that is the problem she has (along with the fact that there are no known codes that allow the TiVo to change channels on the box). They told her the only option for getting a different box was to upgrade to digital service, which she doesn't want to do, so she returned the TiVo.

Rob

6. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    This is confusing. She has a cable box with HD outs only, yet she has no digital service? I don't think so. Also, if she doesn't have digital service, did she consider connecting the TiVo directly using the built-in analog cable tuner?

7. thelastvoice

thelastvoice New Member

Feb 13, 2004
    Hollywood, CA
    Yeah, it is. After rereading, obviously ZikZak meant it would be exceedingly unusual for an HD box not to have red/white/yellow composite outputs. Sometimes I'm a little slow. :) My aunt just has an apparently ancient analog box with no red/white/yellow composite outputs.

Yeah, I suggested that to her, but she said if she couldn't record HBO (which is the only reason she has to have the box) then she didn't want the TiVo.

Rob

8. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The box will have S-vido, you can use that, and Y splitters each way for the audio.