HIGH DEFINATION OTAs

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by redskinscott, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Dec 1, 2006 #1 of 13
    redskinscott

redskinscott New Member

Dec 1, 2006

Advertisements

I have the Directv DVR Plus and the 5lnb dish. I was misinformed when i moved, i was told when i get the 5lnb dish, that it would offer High Defination to all My High Defination Tv's. So when i moved, i left my OTA at my old house. Well i got the new Dish installed and when i went to watch local HD on my Upstairs tv that did not the DVRPLUS Receiver, it did not work. I called Directv and they advised me i would need an OTA. that with all the other problems i had in the past, they setup for the Tech to come out next week and install an OTA high def antenna. They even credited me Monies to go buy one.

My questions are these.

1. There are several typed of High Def OTA out there, some are flat, some branch out, some look like a laser gun etc. I dont know which would be the best.

2. Once he hooks up the high Def Antenna, will it be for one tv only, in other words will he run a seperate line from the Antenna to that one tv, or put it in an multiswich so it will work on all high Def tv's in the house.

Thank you!

2. Dec 1, 2006 #2 of 13
    PhysicalPresence

PhysicalPresence Member

Jun 24, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    If you're using the 5 LNB dish and Directv's new DVR, you can't diplex the OTA signal on the same line through a multiswitch. You have to run a separate line from the antenna to each room. You can use a splitter if you want. You just can't combine the satellite line and the OTA line together through a multiswitch because of interference with the new mpeg4 satellites.

3. Dec 1, 2006 #3 of 13
    TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    1. Start at antennaweb.org for info on your particular location. Then go to hdtvprimer.com for loads of info on antennae. The CM4228, DB8, Winegard SquareShooter, Zenith Silver Sensor seem to be the best of the bunch.

2. Distribution of OTA is very much like distribution of any RF signal. You can use splitters and amps in very much the same kind of architecture as has been used for decades. You can take a single source and distribute it to any number of 8VSB DT tuners, whether in a TV or in a PVR or STB. OTA distribution usually runs in parallel to sat signal distribution, but there are some instances where it can be combined using diplexors and/or a sat multiswitch.

These are all very broad subjects, and some research is probably in order. Searching this forum could be a reservoir of info for you. Folks here on the forum can help with specific questions as well. As you learn more, post back for more specific help.

4. Dec 1, 2006 #4 of 13
    ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    And since you have an HR20...

You will find more discussion on that product.... www.dbstalk.com

5. Dec 1, 2006 #5 of 13
    SuperWade2

SuperWade2 New Member

Apr 11, 2003

Advertisements

Not to Hijack, but I'm moving in 2 weeks, called the D*TV movers connection people and was told the same thing... I asked 2 or 3 times and he assured me that I would not need my HD OTA Antenna and it would be all taken care of with the 5 LNB Dish.

I'm taking my HR10-250 with me to the new place, and am in a small market where I'm sure the locals are not yet

So reading this thread, would the recommendation be to take my HD OTA with me and have the Installer hook my HR10-250 with the 5 LNB dish and OTA the same as my 3 LNB is now (that I'm leaving at my old place)?

Thanks
    Wade

6. Dec 1, 2006 #6 of 13
    ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    With an HR10-250... the ONLY way to get HD Locals is with an antenna.
    Unless you are moving to LA or NY

The 5LNB does not have OTA built into it, nor will it be able to give you your HD Locals.

I fyou ar emoving to an area that is HD Local ready, then you will need an MPEG-4 receiver. The HR20 (DVR) or the H20 (non-dvr)

And given the current issues with Distants.... Waivers are going to be VERY difficult to get going forward.

7. Dec 2, 2006 #7 of 13
    Runch Machine

Runch Machine Active Member

Feb 7, 2002
    Minneapolis
    I always tell people to use an over the air TV antenna to pick up the local channels if they can. You get the best picture and the most reliable signal. You also get all your local channels, not just the 4 that Directv provides in MPEG4. Best of all, no rain fade. No matter how hard it rains or snows I never lose my local channels.

For most people, over the air reception is much easier than it used to be. Since the signal is digital, you just need enough signal to get a perfect picture. Before digital reception I has a large Channel Master TV antenna on my roof to get perfact analog reception. Now I just have an antenna in my garage attic and get perfect digital reception. The roof top antenna has been removed. I could even use a Silver Sensor set top antenna if I wanted to, but the attic antenna is 100% reliable and the indoor antenna wasn't, though it was close.

8. Dec 3, 2006 #8 of 13
    dishrich

dishrich Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    I agree, except that the HR20 does NOT have the OTA tuners activated yet, so the OTA is USELESS on that box right now. (& WHO knows when it will be activated... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )

9. Dec 3, 2006 #9 of 13
    ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...

Oooh Oooh I Do I Do!!!

;)

10. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    1) Don't listen the CSR's, they are clueless. Simply go to the DirecTV website and put in your zip code to see for sure.

2) You need an H20 or HR20 receiver to get HD locals from the sats.

11. twaller

twaller New Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Earl,
    Why do you continue to tease us like this.............spill!

12. jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf New Member

May 21, 2004
    That's just cruel... :eek:

13. dishrich

dishrich Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    UNTIL they ARE actually activated AND PROPERLY working, it doesn't matter - it's as good as them NOT being there anyway... :p :rolleyes: