High Def Tivo Blanking out

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by MRPNANCE, Jun 26, 2006.

1. MRPNANCE

MRPNANCE New Member

Jan 30, 2003
    Upland, Ca

Advertisements

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry ...I need help here...

I have a new High Def TIVO and a new Panasonic Plasma TV....
    While watching the TV occasionaly the screen and sound just go blank...
    Is it my TIVO or my TV.. has anyone experienced this with the high def TIVO?

TIVO is connect to the TV via the high def cable.

thanks

2. rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    By "high def cable" do you mean component video cables or the HDMI cable? Is this a black screen or a grey screen? Is there any macro-blocking before it drops out or is it sudden? OTA or satellite channels? HD or SD channels? What's the signal strength of the channel where this is happening?

-Robert

3. tubsone

tubsone What?!?!??!

Apr 15, 2006
    L.A.
    I have the same set up. A HD tivo and a Pana Plasma. If you have it hooked with the HDMI,It could be that! The HD Tivo has been knew to have HDMI problems. But like Robert said where is it happening SD or HD channels? If it is happening on HD channels It happens from time to time and it's the T.V. stations not your TV. I have never had this problem with SD channels or while watching a DVD.A grey screen is no good....but a black screen with some audio drops while watching HD is usually the Network your getting your feed from or it could be a DirecTV issue i.e. bandwith and stuff. Technology is not and never will be perfect.

4. pizdat

pizdat New Member

Jun 26, 2006
    I also have the same set up and same problem. I thought that it was the panny but now am not so sure. I will keep an eye out for SD v. HD etc but I thought it was in both. I get a black screen when the drop off occurs and usually only for a few seconds.

5. tubsone

tubsone What?!?!??!

Apr 15, 2006
    L.A.

Advertisements

Watch a DVD and see if it still happens! I also have a direct from the wall Time Warner feed in my TV and watch it often and never has it ever happened while watching that feed.If you do have a bad HDMI card.....you will soon find out! But I think it's just the network's in HD. SD never any problems.

6. gunner1938

gunner1938 New Member

Feb 28, 2006
    I Also Have A 42" Hd Panasonic & Direct Tv Tivo. My Tv Also "blacks Out" From Time To Time For About 6-7 Seconds. I Believe It To Be Related To The Hdmi Cable Because When Hooked Up With The "regular Lines" This Does Not Happen. It Happens Most Often When First Turning On The Tv. Somedays It May Happen 3-4 Times & Other Days Just 1-2 Times.

The Gunner

7. MRPNANCE

MRPNANCE New Member

Jan 30, 2003
    Upland, Ca
    Thank You all for your reply.. yes it is with my HDMI cable and I believe it only happens with the HD channels.. but I hav enever really kept track..

The only other issue is I lost my sort feture for my guide...so I was thiking my uint went bad

8. Cudahy

Cudahy New Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Cudahy,...
    We've had a similar problem with our HitachiHDTV. It happens in both HD and SD but doesn't happen to the same Tivo feed to the nonHD tv when it's in SD. It also doesn't happen when a DVD is on. It's our 2nd HD250. We don't know whether we should replace the HDtivo again or the more expensive route of replacing the TV. Or just give up on HD for now and go back to a regular SD tivo.

9. tubsone

tubsone What?!?!??!

Apr 15, 2006
    L.A.

It has nothing to do with the TV.....If you get another TV it will happen again because it's a DirecTV issue or a network issue! HitachiHDTV,Panasonic it will still happen. When I'am in the T.V. forum talking about a show people always post about how many blackouts there was/audio drops and ABC or whoever sucks and everybody always say's it happened to them at the same time as well as myself. HDTV is still fairly new and Technology is not perfect!

That being said I am 100% sure it has never happened to me while watching SD..only HD. I don't have any answers for that.

10. gquiring

gquiring New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Matawan, NJ
    Tunsone is correct, I see countless posts of black screens on different TV's component or HDMI. I use component and get black screens all the time. I hope D* releases their new HD DVR soon, I want to retire my HR10-250 ASAP.

11. Budget_HT

Budget_HT Heavy User (of TiVo)

Jan 2, 2001
    Renton, WA
    I have 2 HR10-250 HD TiVo's. One is connected via HDMI to an LCD HD-ready TV. The other is connected via component video cables to an older HD-ready RPTV (CRT).

The only times I have ever seen black screens or other strange symptoms are:

1. On the HDMI set, at initial startup (i.e., first turning on the HDTV), I see a variety of odd things displayed which I assume to be the result of the TV and HD TiVo handshaking.

2. On both HD TiVo's, when I start to playback a recorded program, the audio and video start for a second or so, and then stop for a second or less, and then everything continues normally.

3. On both HD TiVo's, after a windstorm mal-adjusted my OTA outside antenna, I would get freezes, pixelation, macroblocking and some blackouts that seemed to follow the bad reception (OTA) pattern. Once I reset the antenna, the problems went away.

Perhaps I have just been lucky (knock on wood). BTW, one HD TiVo has been running here for 26 months (component video) and the other for 8 months (HDMI).

12. kbohip

kbohip New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Colorado...
    My HD Tivo does the same thing with my Hitachi HDTV. You know, I can't say for sure if it's just been while watching HD or not. It seems to me though that it does it in SD as well. I'd say it only drops out for 3-4 seconds. I'm hooked up via the HDMI cable and I'm sure this is the cause of the problems. I'm lucky that the HDMI works at all I guess! It only blacks out every couple of weeks so it's not enough to bother me. The joys of being an early adopter of new technology.

13. g0go15

g0go15 New Member

Apr 23, 2005
    It's only a second day that I’m using my new HDTivo with Hitachi HDS52 TV, and I’m not sure if it's normal, but when I switch the channels, (any combingation from HD to HD, and SD to HD, etc,) a gray screen appears instead of the programming for few seconds, long enough time to realize it's there. In addition to the gray screen when flipping channels, the tv also makes a 'crackling' sound. The tivo is hooked up with the HDMI cable. Is it normal, or is the Tivo broken?

14. kbohip

kbohip New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Colorado...
    That gray screen is quite normal. Mine has always done that, and I've just attributed it to the fact that the HR10 is so ungodly slow. I've never had a crackling sound though.

15. hildred

hildred New Member

Aug 30, 2003
    detroit mich
    yes my two directvtivo one is a hr10-250 and other is sd tivo both of them start to lock up i rebote them two time a week so what next

16. Cudahy

Cudahy New Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Cudahy,...
    I just replaced my HDtivo250 for the second time(1st one 7 months, the second one a year).
    Hopefully it will eliminate the reboots and freezeups. It's had no effect on the blackouts. Now I know that my 5 year old Hitachi just can't handle an HDtivo any longer.
    The one improvement - it now sets a todo recording in a second instead of a minute.

17. stiffi

stiffi New Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Charm City
    Just noticed this thread after 1 week with an H10-250.

I get drop outs (screen goes black and sound drops) probably once a day on the HD channels.

Has anybody found an answer for this? Is this just the way it is with the H10-250?