Hi-Def And Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by smartypants2300, Jul 11, 2007.

1. smartypants2300

smartypants2300 New Member

May 17, 2007

Advertisements

I have a Series2 DT and we just bought a new Hi-Def TV, we're getting Digital TV with HD service. Since my Tivo doesn't have HDMI or Component cable compatibilty, I will be using S-Video for my video connection. I'm aware that S-Video is for analog transmission and it can degrade my HD signal. Is anyone else in this situation? If so, how much does the S-Video degrade the signal?

Thanks!

2. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    Your DT TiVo will NOT record or pass an HD signal.

3. rambler

rambler Member

Dec 3, 2005
    Can I send a HD bittorent avi file back to my s2 tivo (after convert it to mpg or whatever)?

4. smartypants2300

May 17, 2007
    So the tivo wont allow HD to pass through it, I won't be watching HD on my TV, Is that correct?

5. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002

Advertisements

Yup.

You will have to convert it to an SD resolution in mpeg2 (ie. 720x480) at a bit rate up to 8mbps.

6. Dajad

Dajad Active Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Toronto
    You'll be able to watch HD live directly to your HD TV from whatever new digital settop you receive. But, no, you can't pump HD into an Series 2. But many HD settop boxes can ALSO output HD in SD over s-video that TiVo CAN record and, of course, TiVo can record every other non-HD channel your box/cableco provides.

You'll want a Series 3 if you want to record true HD from your cable company on a TiVo and play it back on your HD TV.

By the way, SD digital TV can look absolutely gorgeous. There are several movie channels provided to me via digital TV provided to me by Rogers. I record this on my S2 and play it back on my 42" HD plasma display and it looks about as good as DVD. My plasma does do some upscaling/line doubling or whatever so your mileage will vary by the quality of the SD-signal provided by your carrier and the quality of your HD rig.

...Dale

7. HDTiVo

Nov 27, 2002
    I've had STBs that I could not get to output both HD & SD at the same time.

8. smartypants2300

May 17, 2007
    How do I set-up my tivo with Digital Cable, Series2 DT, DVD Player, and of course the TV?

9. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    you will need a HD receiver to hook straight to the TV.
    You will need a digital Set top box to hook to the DT TiVo if you want to record digital channels in an SD format.

since you can not record HD then my advice is toi get two boxes so you can watch the HD live. perhaps even make the HD receiver a cable company DVR so you can record it.

give the type of inputs available on the TV and perhaps someone will give you a complete rundown on best way to hook up everything

10. Dajad

Dajad Active Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Toronto
    Hence my use of the word "many" rather than "all" in the sentence 2 sentences after the one you quoted! :)

11. HDTiVo

Nov 27, 2002
    That's a statement about something different. You were saying he can watch HD live from any box, but there are boxes that can't put out HD and SD at the same time, which is what he'd have to be doing since he's using it with the DT, unless you think he's intending to disable the output to the DT for the period he's watching HD live - an exercise which would be rather cumbersome.

12. Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme Contra sceleris

Mar 29, 2005
    The easiest way to do this is to use pyTivo to do the conversion on the fly. It converts and performs the transfer at the same time so you don't have the mpeg2 file sitting around taking up space. PyTivo will convert a huge number of different formats into something your S2 will eat. You can keep them in efficient Divx, mp4, wmv, avi or whatever so you won't have to waste space on the mpeg2.

It also works displaying hidef onto the S3- something I verified when a glitch allowed me to do TivoBack for about a week.

13. Dajad

Dajad Active Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Toronto
    No, I said:

"You'll be able to watch HD live directly to your HD TV from whatever new digital settop you receive"​

Nothing in that statement implies the TiVo S2 can record HD.

Re-read what I wrote. He CAN watch HD from any settop DIRECTLY to his TV - without TiVo intervening and MANY (implicit in the word MANY is that not all can) boxes will also output HD programming in SD format that can be recorded on the TiVo. Perhaps I wasn't as clear as I could have been but nothing I said was inaccurate.

The reason I can say what I said is that this is EXACTLY how I used my Rogers supplied HD-settop with my TiVo Series 1 before I purchased an S3 and tossed the crappy 8300HD back to Rogers!

Now, your ADDITIONAL point is well taken that IF he is watching an HD channel and the TiVo wants to record another channel, he'll be faced with the choice. Keep watching the HD channel on his TV OR let TiVo change the channel to record something else. That is a kludgy element to this particular hookup. You can't keep watching an HD program directly on your TV if TiVo is chaning the channel to record something else. There is only one channel that can be output from the settop at a time.

...Dale

14. Dajad

Dajad Active Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Toronto
    While TiVo.Net and PyTiVo and galleon do all work, I think for most users it will be easier to use a tool like Mpeg Streamclip to convert their media first and then put that in the TiVo Desktop directory. For most people PyTiVo, Galleon and the like are difficult to install and setup. I think conversion tools are (or should be) easier to install and setup for the average user. Admittedly there is a bit of a fidelity loss owing to the multiple conversions. But, if you do as I am doing, convert everything to H.264 so that all content is ready for when the S3 can playback H.264 natively through TiVo Desktop, this should yield the optimal fidelity and speed when transferring to the S3 - without the need to the convert to the much larger and slower transferring Mpeg2 files.

...Dale

15. HDTiVo

Nov 27, 2002
    You are not following what I am saying. There are settops that can not simultaneously output HD and SD. There it is not a matter of changing channels, but changing the entire setup of the STB to go back and forth.

In addition I'll mention you are furthermore inaccurate because not every digital STB even does HD, so neither whatever nor any is accurate.

16. Dajad

Dajad Active Member

Oct 7, 1999
    Toronto
    Wow ... I can't believe this is continuing. I fully understand what YOU are saying. I understand that some settops cannot simultaneously output HD and SD! As I said in my original post "MANY" can (with the implication that not all can).

I took exception to your implying that anything I said in my original post was wrong.

Since we are ONLY talking about HD STB's in this thread the fact that SD settops can't handle HD is wholly irrelevant.

Sheesh!

...Dale

17. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    HDTivo?

Dajad is right.

He never said ALL digital cable boxes can output in different formats at the same time.

Also, this was a discussion of DIGITAL boxes, not ALL cable boxes.

It's YOU that's not following what HE has said. (And it was said pretty plainly to begin with. Go back and re-read the thread. I think you'll see.)

18. glennoch

glennoch New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    I have followed various threads which have educated me on key ssues-- but none have addressed this issue:

If I connect a series 2 TIVO to my FIOS Motorola HD recordable box with the required IR blaster, and TIVO is recording and someone uses the FIOS remote to change the channel and watch something different, that will terminate the recording-- right? Any way around that? The same would happen with a regular TIVO set-up, except in that case TIVO would warn you. In my scenario the TIVO interface would not even be on the TV screen.

One solution may be to rent ($5/month) a 2nd non-HD, non-recordable FIOS box, signal split to the two FIOS boxes and dedicate the non-HD to TIVO. That way I can use all the limited space on the recordable box for HD and the TIVO for non-HD recordings. I assume I can shield the IR connection on box 2 from all input except the TIVO IR blaster.

Any flaws in this approach or better ideas ?

19. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Welcome! Your second solution is the answer.

DVR's belong in parallel, not series.

20. antpeople

antpeople New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    phoenix
    Sorry if this isn't along the same lines....but I am OK, not great with setting up my stuff.

Ok my set up...looking for help to program remote.

I have a Sharp LCD - it has 5 inputs. I have a Humax DVD Tivo. I just got a Direct TV HD box. Can I program my tivo remote to work them all? I do understand that my Tivo will not record in HD, but I should be able to watch live tv in HD. I believe it is now set up on HMDI for channel changing.

I can't seem to get my TIVO to work on any input.

Can anyone help? And, as you can I tell I am not too high-tech savvy!!

Thanks - julie