1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey Tivo surfers....

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by GardenBear, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Feb 9, 2018 #1 of 17
    GardenBear

GardenBear New Member

Feb 9, 2018
    New owner of a great deal on EBay, anyway to the point in question; Machine I have: TIVO BOLT less than a year old New out of the box! Everything working awesome, fast and no issues.
    Is it possible to place a "High Bandwidth RF Switch" in line between Providers RF Feed & OTA RF High Bandwith feed to do a serious test of OTA Recording, and flip back to CABLE FEED for Cable subscribed channels, maintaining signal and program guide integrity, after switching?
    Would like to be able to do this via a 2 way coaxial switch! I bought one today, will be trying this out this week. What I guess I am curious of if when you swith to Antenna, would I previously have to reset up the program guide? For antenna and cable? Or would it load the new channels automatically, and pop up as ANT on the program guide after reconnecting?

2. Feb 9, 2018 #2 of 17
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    No. When the TiVo is installed you get asked for OTA or cable. There hasn't been a choice of both for years. The guide is dependent on the selection also.

However, you can feed the OTA signal into your TV. Feed the cable configured TiVo to your TV with a different input. A TiVo remote can control the Input button on some televisions.

One more point. TiVo uses the same guide database as tvguide.com so you can use your zipcode and provider to check the lineup.

Finally, some cable companies do mess with their broadcast network feeds. Some do not.

3. Feb 9, 2018 #3 of 17
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    IIRC there is some trick you can use to get it to allow you to pick both. Search in the Bolt forum. I'm pretty sure HarperVision is the one that figured it out so look for his posts. (not sure if it was it's own thread, or in another thread)

4. Feb 9, 2018 #4 of 17
    eherberg

eherberg Active Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Note for some users, there may be differences. When I first moved to my area, none of the Canadian channels I could receive were available in the listings. TiVo was considering my area to be one about 200 miles to the south. I created a lineup change form - but instead of actually adding/removing channels, Rovi simply moved the 300-mile radius it was using for my channels north and east ... but it didn't actually remove the channels from the area 200 miles to the south and west. So now on the TiVo for my area it actually contains channels from 2 different areas -- while TVGuide shows only the new 'moved' area. My channel list actually has 96 extra channels listed that are not possible to receive OTA ... some of them literally 300 miles away.

5. Feb 9, 2018 #5 of 17
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    No more than a zillion. :)

6. Feb 9, 2018 #6 of 17
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I was thinking that, as well. Hopefully the trick survived the recent HD UI and Hydra updates.

7. Feb 9, 2018 #7 of 17
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  8. Feb 9, 2018 #8 of 17
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  9. GardenBear

GardenBear New Member

Feb 9, 2018
    REPLY:
    Actually dear, you are wrong! The 4K Ultra machine TiVo Bolt; does ask you if you want cable and antenna, however it is a bit tricky! Here is the set up;
    1. First make all connections including cable card inserted, and proceed with cable card set up, VERY IMPORTANT: "Before anything call your Cable Provider and have them activate that card after pairing machine to provider (cable company), and when your done following the steps on screen to set up via cable card, and everything is ready to go, as well as you getting Cable Signal or channels, (BUY A CABLE ANTENNA SWITCH) after setting up and getting your cable going, rerun the guided set up as you did with the cable card from the beginning, however, make sure yoou have the splitter and switch inline, as Antenna goes to one side of switch, and cable goes to the other side, and destination port of switch to DVR or TiVo antenna/cable connection.
    Switch to antenna feed rerun setup of GUIDED SETUP for CABLE AND ANTENNA, this will take about 30 minutes, it will NOT MESS with cable set up procedure that you just went through, it will however add your local antenna broadcast channels to your machine, in addition to the cable channels it recieved during cable set up!!! Viola!!! Personally we record a lot of shows, so we only have broadcast piped through the rest of the house, as well as split behind our main media center with a powered HD Antenna with a rotator on it, once you have the average of reception of your favorite channels dialed in on your TV, recomend leaving it there!
    Then...restart only after yoou do set up twice! One for cable setup, then restart and do the OTA set up including cable, as you will see when you start to rerun guided setup it will give you the option to run both, anyway.....restart after all aplications are run and your set up on both, you will see all broadcast channels OTA and cable SD & HD channels on channel list! Word of caution, when setting up record lists, make sure you have the A/B switch on cable! All channel guides sent from TIVO are sent through the internet! Make sure your ethernet is connected to get proper setup of channel guide, during antenna, and cable set up!

I have the box set up like this now and is working flawlessly! If you switch to antenna, make sure to do a quick restart! Tends to act with the channel guide better for whichever OTA, or CABLE selection you choose.

Also just ordered the VOICE REMOTE for my unit! Check out Amazon if you want the voice remote for your Tivo! 39.00

JoeKustra likes this.
  10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Amazing. I am impressed. But to me, it sounds like work.

11. GardenBear

GardenBear New Member

Feb 9, 2018
    2/12/2018
    All set up and working flawlessly, cant wait to get the TIVO VOice Remote, I ordered from Amazon! 39.99
    The 4K Ultra Tivo is an awesome machine, wheter you choose to set it up Antenna to record all your local happenings, as well as network broadcst programs, or via cable card and your provider, or both(see my reply post below for this aplication) This machine makes CONTOUR look like a turtle crossing a busy hwy! Its fast reliable, and if you bite the bullet and spend 149.00 or 549.00 for lifetime or annual service,
    NO MORE RENTAL except for the 2.99 mo. for the cable card! We were paying almost 700.00 a year in rental for the DVR COX provided, and another 8.50 a month for the channel guide COX sends down the pipe! ya....
    Buh BYE Contour! We OWN OUR MACHINE NOW

12. GardenBear

GardenBear New Member

Feb 9, 2018
    Nahhhhhh...just tech set ups as you go, once you do this you'll never get a rental DVR ever again! And TIVO takes care of all service with their lifetime contract! or Annual contract for 150 bucks (LT 549.00)
    Yes...a bit to bite off at first, but speed, accuracy, and quality is the end result for life on a cable or OTA system!

13. GardenBear

GardenBear New Member

Feb 9, 2018
    That is correct....
    But first...run cable setup with cable card....get all tweaked!
    Then...rerun guided set up again, with antenna hooked up, and choose CABLE - ANTENNA This time, and follow onscreen set up as you did with cable card! IT WORKS!

The tricky thing I had issues with; was the provider activating the cable card initially, fortunately the tech from TIVO said to tell the cable provider on the phone that they have to keep hitting the Activate button on their end 3 or 4 times for the card to take hold in the machine! Remember; your asking 3 or four different manufacturers codes to talk to each other and make a handshake!! It will work!!!

dlfl likes this.
  14. GardenBear

GardenBear New Member

Feb 9, 2018
    Actually....depends on your p
    rovider; IT WILL NOT WORK WITHOUT TUNING ADAP with COX Comm. if you disconnect tuning adapter after setup, you will only recieve cable channels that are not encrypted through the card! However you are right with some providers depending on what filter strategies they are using

15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What's a "quick restart"?

16. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    That's an entirely different issue.

Obviously the trick would not somehow obviate the need for a tuning adapter in an SDV environment. But a tuning adapter would not be needed to enable the dual lineup, just to properly tune SDV channels when switched to the cable feed.

But a tuning adapter and MoCA connectivity would make for a more interesting coax setup when using an A/B switch.

17. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    As I posted in a different thread: what about a Mini?