Hey Tivo!! All that Money I pay you no Alerts that the Game might delay recordings!!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by audvidman, Oct 11, 2011.

1. audvidman

audvidman New Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Hey Tivo!! All that Money I pay you, no Alerts that the Game might delay some recordings!! Like Tera Nova & House? Why do we pay you a hefty fee for all that fancy programming you deliver to us.

2. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Lukily I was watching the game - so I noticed it went 11 innings!

I am trying to figure out how a TiVo would know about the delay in order to register a warning like that.

It is not tracking the actual start and end times of each show - so there is no way for the TiVo to notice that a live program has gone over. TiVo does ask you if you want to pad extra time to a live event during scheduling.

Interesting thought - I am just not sure how they would do it...

3. jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    If you're an Amazing Race fan, then you should have already padded your Amazing Race SP for an additional hour minimum. Even then you have to monitor to make sure. I've really come to hate Sunday nights and 60 Minutes.

4. andyw715

andyw715 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    I pad house an hour. Had about 12 min to spare last night :)

Unless the guide data gets updated, and then the tivo gets the updated data and updates its internal data; automated correction won't happen.

Just have to remember during sports seasons (sun for football, prime time fall for baseball, etc) to pad.

5. merowe

merowe New Member

Jan 6, 2002
    I actually think it could be easy for tivo to warn.. They can't auto-compensate, since they don't know how long the delay will be, but they can definitely warn. How? Well, Tivo knows the difference between live events and non-live ones, right? At least, I've see warning on live events. All they need to do is check the previous 2-3 shows (that can be tweaked) and, if they are live events, warn for the current recording..

Of course, how what they do for a season pass recording is another question - send the user a message?

I actually think this is a great idea, by the way..

6. andyw715

andyw715 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Yeah 60 Min just needs to be preempted. Does anyone watch that show?

7. cowboys2002

cowboys2002 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Cypress, TX
    Yes, or it wouldn't still be on the air. :D

8. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    They know that the guide data says that a preceding show is a live event.
    They do not know if the live event is delayed or not...

When you create an SP there may be no live event in the schedule - so they would have to send you an update that "a live event proceeds one of your recordings, would you like to pad time" That would be possible, but I am not sure how effective.

9. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Subscribe to this thread Urgent Pad Recording Alerts (EAST). I received an e-mail about the overrun and was able to make the necessary adjustments.
    Please Do not post anything except recording Alerts in that thread.

10. jeff92k7

jeff92k7 Annoyed with trolls

Jan 18, 2006
    on planet earth
    I don't know, since I didn't start watching the game until nearly the end, but does anyone know if it was even in the guide at all? I know it was rained out from Sunday (Saturday?) so it may not have even been listed in Monday's guide.

I've run into this before with sporting events being rained out. The rescheduled time (usually the following day) is rarely in the guide. If I want to see the game/race/etc, I have to make a manual recording for the channel/time.

Jeff

11. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Ditto. I was royally pissed when they moved The Good Wife to Sundays for that very reason. I stopped watching Cold Case because of game overruns. You'd think the geniuses at CBS would have figured out a way to revise their Sunday night schedule to work around the NFL. I mean, if Fox can do it...:rolleyes:

FWIW, I pad all recordings on Sunday night by 60 minutes. Last week's showing of The Good Wife started 45 minutes late so I was still able to catch the whole show. I haven't checked Terra Nova or House to see if they got cut off, but it sounds like that's the case. Thank goodness for b-torrents!;)

12. merowe

merowe New Member

Jan 6, 2002
    That doesn't matter, though, right? Just warn the user that it's possible it may be delayed - not that it will... That would be enough for me to pad. It would be cool if they mentioned what that live event was as well...

13. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
  14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    from what they said on the news, the reason it was delayed so long was because of a rain delay. If there had not been a rain delay, the National programming would have started on time even with the extra innings.

This is one reason i don't like this time of year and Fox programming. I have to remember to pad my shows at least an hour when there is a baseball game on earlier that evening. Luckily one hour was enough. Normally that is more than enough but the combination of extra innings and a rain delay cut it close.

15. digitalfirefly

digitalfirefly Member

Apr 15, 2005
    Crap, was Terra Nova pushed back last night because of baseball?

16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Yes, way back. Around 52 minutes.

17. LoREvanescence

LoREvanescence Always Autocorrected

Jun 19, 2007
    Salem, MA
    my thoughts are the only way a tivo could ever know something like this is if the station put out data of what program is on. Then if the tivo could be made to recognize this program data, and if it didn't match up with the tivo guide hold off and wait for the program info from the channel to say that this show is on.

but if that were the case, we would probably have a lot of botched recordings, more then it saves. And it would require more then just tivo.

18. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Tivo does NOT deliver any programming at all.

19. Scyber

Scyber Former ReplayTV User

Apr 25, 2002
    This is a good example of where Hulu+ can come in handy. Only of those shows are on Hulu+ of course (Terra Nova and House both are).

20. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Terra Nova is available on free Hulu. ;)
    (SD not HD)