Hesistant to buy a Tivo Premiere

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by wiseguy2006, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Nov 8, 2010 #1 of 19
    wiseguy2006

wiseguy2006 New Member

Nov 8, 2010

Advertisements

I am a long time Tivo subscriber. I have a Tivo HD and a Humax Tivo with DVD Recorder. I also used to have a series one Tivo.

I have been very hesitant on purchasing a Tivo Premiere. I have heard from many that it is way to slow and not impressive enough over the Tivo HD to spend two hundred bucks.

I tried a demo model of the premiere. The searching did seem pretty slow to me.....does anyone know is there going to be improvements to this over time or is this basically just how the product is going to remain?

2. Nov 8, 2010 #2 of 19
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    over time the product will change - likely at some point a feature will be premiere only. Likely apps that run via flash interface or if they do a new Netflix UI it may be for premiere only, etc...

That said I would not expect major differences even by end of next year - incremental change is what we are seeing from TiVo these days.

3. Nov 8, 2010 #3 of 19
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    If you use the SD interface the Tivo isn't as bad as it is when using the HD interface. Just think of the Premiere as a Series 3 Tivo and you will be all set....

4. Nov 8, 2010 #4 of 19
    digammatoo

digammatoo New Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Compared to the TiVo Series 1 that I upgraded from the TiVo Premier is lightening fast. The HD menu system is ok, it's a nice feature to have the playing window in the corner, but like most people have said if you don't really need the bells and whistles of the HD menus switch to the SD and speed is even better. But alas there are alot of bells and whistles.

5. Nov 8, 2010 #5 of 19
    janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN

Advertisements

I wouldn't give up an HD that was working OK for one, but if I needed an additional DVR, I'd buy one. In fact, I did. So far, everything's good.

6. Nov 8, 2010 #6 of 19
    wiseguy2006

wiseguy2006 New Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Ok sounds like I'm best to just stick with Tivo HD I have.....if I ever need to buy an additional DVR I'll think about the Premier. Thanks for the replys guys....

7. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I spent extended time using the Premier on display at Best Buy, and I must say that it really made me love my S3 OLED even more. The S4 has touchy remote and shockingly slow screen updates for the tile displays. Frustrating to use. Did I say I love my original S3?:). I also found the lack of the Picture in the corner in all screens except the first level VERY annoying as I am used to having while updating timers and other menu functions on my Dish DVR's.

Now, if the S4 could record more channels (at least one more would have been a mega-leap to make me buy), or even the picture in other screens while I check my Season Passes, Suggestions, Things to Do or equivalents, etc., but the Premier felt very much like the S3, HD, HDXL, but with the banner at top and new TiVo Central design. Did I mention that using the Premiere made me love my S3 even more?:).

8. stiffi

stiffi New Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Charm City
    If Tivo wants to sell more Premiere's they really should stop updating features for every other machine. Sure we would all complain about it, but it makes business sense.

This is exactly what Apple does. They set a time past which features are no longer available for legacy devices. For Mac computers with Power PC processors, Leopard is the Last OS they can use. For Iphones, only the Iphone 4 can use Facetime. Only the 3GS or later can use Voice control. The list goes on.

People just accept this. If you want the newest features, you have to buy the newest hardware.

9. lamotte

lamotte New Member

Oct 10, 2004
    northwest ohio
    just the opposite of the original poster found the offer for the premier for 19.95 on line and called right away and ordered it. even upgraded to the xl at that time. have love mine since its arrival approximately 8 weeks ago. only problem i have had was with time warner getting the cable card installed properly once that was done have been very pleased so far

10. Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    Even with the unfinished design and lack luster performance that's been reported, adding a third or fourth tuner would make it more compelling to me. I'd still be using it for analog though since TiVo has really dropped the ball with Digital, the CCI Byte, and MRV.

11. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I don't think TiVo dropped the ball with the CCI byte and the loss of MRV for some programs, the CCI byte is a legal requirement that TiVo could easily remove from all TiVos if they would not be breaking the law by doing so.

12. Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    You can't say they didn't see it coming. And based on that they have dropped the ball in introducing some type of solution. Like everything else TiVo they are moving too slowly to react to the market.

13. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I believe that the monthly plan offer is a good one, and that the S4 is good for those new to TiVo, but to many S3 owners, there just isn't a compelling reason to upgrade, while others upgraded and are satisfied.

14. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Please - they dropped the ball because they never implemented streaming to get MRV working again.

15. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Umm, that's _largely_ what they do?

Sure, I guess some of the stuff (Pandora) came to S3/TivoHD, but doesn't it work way better on the Premiere?

No single-M card support for S3.. etc.. (Yes, I know that's *supposedly* a hardware issue, but I don't think we've been told enough info to show that it is -- and I'm not meaning in a conspiracy theory kind of way.. I just think they maybe didn't want to do it, similar to not fixing the DST issue in a way other than the hack way it's fixed now.)

16. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    They would not be breaking any law whatsoever by doing so. There is absolutely no law requiring any device to honor CCI byte codes. They would be committing financial suicide, but no one could fine them, throw any of TiVo's people in jail. or successfully sue them.

17. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    It would be far, far less desirable to me, and I already am unable to recommend purchasing a Premier to anyone.

18. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I held off for the longest time in upgrading to a Premiere, and I'm traditionally an early-adopter. I'm marginally happy with the purchase, although I'm concerned at the lack of progress on the HDUI and the possibility that it is considered "complete" by Tivo.

It really depends if the money is burning a hole in your pocket. If it is, buy the new gadget. If it isn't then save your money for next year when the new gadget might have more meaningful features. There is no compelling "must-upgrade" reason at the moment.

19. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    If they would just finish the darn HD interface that they TOLD everyone it had when they released it, a bunch of folks would upgrade.

At this point, it starts to look like the HD interface is too diffecult or not possible to complete given the current hardware/software configuration and that Tivo may NEVER complete it on the Premier. If it was just minor fixes etc remaining, it would have been released long ago. We have not even seen leaks of any new screen shots in MONTHS. One really starts to think they have given up and are moving on.

Perhaps if they finally win the Dish lawsuit they will have the funds to build a Series 5 model that does both sat and cable and will have the HD interface. At this point, it starts to look like the Premier is going to be the runt stepchild of the Tivo family that never lived up to its billing.