Heroes 11-10-2008

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by wmcbrine, Nov 11, 2008.

1. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003

Advertisements

No thread yet?

This was a pretty good episode, and it answered some long-standing questions... although again, I feel like some of them should've been answered sooner.

I LOLed at the shout-out to "Prison Break" -- "What happened to Scofield?".

The part that made the least sense to me was that Elle appeared completely sane at the time of the flashbacks, instead of the psycho she was when she was introduced last year. I thought it was established that she'd been borderline crazy since she was a child.

2. pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    you really thought it was a good episode? i thought it was one of the more boring ones of the season.

when do the new producers take over :)

3. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    No, pretty good. :) I guess mostly I was just pleased to see things that had only been hinted at since the beginning. Some of it was clearly retcon, though.

4. Shakhari

Shakhari Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2005
    It was nice seeing all the tie-ins to the first season, although the trainwreck in the small Texas town, where Meredith's long lost daughter just happened to be hidden, was quite a coincidence.

The only part that bugged me was, why did Arthur find it necessary to order a hit to stop the investigation, when he has the power to impose his will on others?

5. atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles

Advertisements

Yikes! That's a good point. If he could control Mamma Petrelli, why not do the same to Nathan?

And I agree, Elle was quite sane (and likable). I, too, think she should have been psycho like we saw her in earlier episodes.

And then there's HRG...all gung-ho to have Sylar start killing people but then we know he later ends up hating him for being a psycho killer. Confusing. Did he ever say "I started this, so I'm going to finish this" when referring to his hunt for Sylar?

At any rate, I did like this episode. Not sure why after my comments above, but I'm still not hating it as much as I did previously.

BTW, are we talking about the same show? The show I watched tonight was called "Villains." What is this "Heroes" that you speak of. ;)

6. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I'm still liking it, but this episode while nicely trying to get them back on track also has too much of them just making it up as they go.

I really feel that it feels like there's no bible for this show, just a short outline, and while most shows would build the bible up in season one, Heroes never took notes, and they're just watching season one on DVD and making up backstory now for it.

Diane

7. yaddayaddayadda

yaddayaddayadda New Member

Apr 8, 2003
    Fort Mill, SC
    I thought it was an incredibly boring episode.

8. Magister

Magister Fat, Dumb and Happy

Oct 17, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    For almost all the heros they found thier powers during extremely stressful events. And they initially have no control of thier powers. So actually, that fits in quite well with the established canon.

9. WinBear

WinBear Konner Kringle

Aug 24, 2000
    Carrollton,...
    This wasn't Heroes, this was Villains according to the opening credits.

I liked the subtle Invisible Man reference by Meredith's idiot brother. To me, that was the biggest retcon, putting Elle with Noah when it should have been the Haitian or Claude Raines. I liked the way they put Thompson (Eric Roberts) with Meredith and causing the train wreck Claire saw in the pilot.

In the previews
    they make reference to the eclipse activating the new generation's powers and that it is coming back around. That ought to enlightening since they haven't really been very clear on that before.

10. Shakhari

Shakhari Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2005
    It already was established canon ... the scenes of Nathan floating away during the attempted hit were taken from the Six Months Ago flashback episode of season one.

11. kjnorman

kjnorman Enjoying being a Dad

Jun 21, 2002
    Chicagoland
    It was interesting in that it introduced us to how the stories have been set up, but overall I was pretty bored with this episode.

I'm very close to not caring if I never see the show again.

12. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    I love the smell of retcon in the morning:
    1. Elle and Noah pushing Sylar to be a villain.
    2. Arthur Petrelli's heart attack was poisoning.
    3. Arthur Petrelli ordering the hit instead of Linderman.
    4. Meredith causing the fire that was shown in the first season.

The episode also raised a number of questions. It shows that Arthur's power was basically the same as the Parkman family's power. How can that be if had not yet absorbed Parkman's Dad's power yet?

13. bobcarn

bobcarn Birthday Hug Monkey TCF Club

Nov 18, 2001
    Trenton,...
    I wasn't crazy about last nights episode. The writers seem to have an obsession with shaking things up as being key to good storytelling. The problem with that is that you never get to know your characters. Sylar is evil. Hey, guess what? He's not evil, he's just an addict. HRG is bad. HRG is good. HRG is bad. Linderman is bad. Linderman is good. How can you have feelings for a character if you don't know from one week to the next who he is?

Besides that, the episode was only mildly interesting. It filled in some holes, but they weren't really pressing issues anyway.

As for the present storyline..... Either Ando steps in and stops papa Petrelli, or something happens before he can drain Hiro of his powers. If he does manage to get his powers, something will happen where he dies or something and all powers are returned to their owners. I'm ticked off a bit that the African seer is killed, he was a nice character and now he's dead.

It was a nice touch that Meredith caused the train wreck that Claire first used her powers for good in.

I wonder if they'll give at least some explanation of the upcoming eclipse?

14. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    I'm still waiting for more on Uluru, though I guess that ball was dropped a long time ago and will never be seen again.

15. uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South
    I liked it. :)

But there's just way too much unbelievable stuff. I try to suspend belief, but it's gotten too hard.

Elle and Sylar ate 3/4ths of that peach pie?!?

C'mon, Elle being all twiggy skinny no way she eats more than one piece. That means Sylar had 5 pieces?

No way.

Boo. Hiss.

16. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Maybe she excused herself to "go to the bathroom" between slices...

Leading to a "very special episode" in Heroes' future! :D

17. unicorngoddess

unicorngoddess Wooooonicorngodess

Nov 19, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Maybe she can "shock" her metabolisim into burning off every calorie she consumes.

I liked the episode...I liked how everything tied together. And Mamma Petrelli actually seemed like a loving, caring mother!

Could've maybe used some Sulu though.

18. TR7spyder

TR7spyder New Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Mass
    Or better yet, she NEEDS the calories to generate electrical power.

I also thought that she was too sane and likable...

19. uncdrew

uncdrew Annie 2.0

Aug 6, 2002
    Down South
    Interesting pie thoughts. Thanks. :up:

Seems that Elle's enough of a hottie that Sylar wouldn't care if she wolfed down 4 pieces of pie.

Hell, even if I didn't notice I certainly would let it slide. So my hottie can eat a lot. Wanna fight about it?

20. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    Her power should draw a lot of... power. It would make sense if she had to consume a lot of food to use it. But, the show pretty much ignores this kind of issue.

Maybe Nathan is immune? In fact, maybe that's his natural power (since flying was added on). Although that doesn't fit well with him seeing the ghost of Linderman...