Here's How To Disable Tivo's Automatic Remote Programming

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream 4K' started by ptcfast2, May 12, 2020.

1. ptcfast2

ptcfast2 Member

May 10, 2020
    First off, it's silly that I even had to do this. But I was determined enough to figure out what was causing this, and luckily I had success after some trial and error.

To override (disable) Tivo's automatic remote programming so you can use your own code do the following:
    1. Enable Developer Mode by going to Device Preferences --> About --> Build and click it a few times until it tells you that you are a "Developer".
    2. Then go to Device Preferences --> Developer Options--> USB Debugging and enable this option.
    3. Go to Network & Internet --> Available Networks and click your connected WiFi network to see what your Stream's IP address currently is.
    4. Download and install adblink
    5. In adblink enter your Stream's IP address in the "Ad Hoc IP" field.
    6. Click "Connect". You'll be prompted to accept the connection on the Stream itself - accept it and also remember the device if prompted.
    7. Once adblink reports that you are connected click "ADB Shell"
    8. Copy and paste the following commands in the terminal window:
      Code:
      pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.uei.uas.tivo
      reboot
    9. Once the Stream has booted, put the remote back in pairing mode by holding the Tivo + Back buttons for a few seconds.
    10. Once you have done this engage in a code search via this guide on Tivo's website or enter the codes from the attached images on this post.
    11. If you find a code that works (you can also enter codes manually) press the center select button to save it if you're doing a code search. If you enter a code manually it will automatically save.
    CEC Bonus Fix
    You can run this command to access the CEC menu to turn off CEC entirely and prevent your Tivo from waking stuff up:
    Code:
    am start -n com.droidlogic.tv.settings/com.droidlogic.tv.settings.HdmiCecActivity

4107888-0.png 4107888-1.png

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Thanks! This needs to be a sticky!

ptcfast2 likes this.
  3. ptcfast2

ptcfast2 Member

May 10, 2020
    I've spent more time than I'd like to admit trying to figure this out... :(

mikepinz, Fiercebeak and Noelmel like this.
  4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Agreed

5. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It's an awesome find, thanks

ptcfast2 likes this.
  6. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Should the remote stop doing anything as far as power, volume, input after step eight?

7. ptcfast2

ptcfast2 Member

May 10, 2020
    It will if there's still a code being fed to it. It's important to make sure the Stream completely reboots and that you force the remote to re-pair to the Stream.

cherry ghost likes this.
  8. Narkul

Narkul Active Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Great news. I'd like to add that the code search instructions for A/V receivers does not work with the Tivo+mute>red light then enter 1999 instructions, but will work with the same procedure if you substitute the volume up button for the mute button.

mikepinz, Dazed44 and cherry ghost like this.
  9. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I tried code search for the Input button and it didn't work. As soon as you hit 0999 the light just shuts off.

10. Narkul

Narkul Active Member

Nov 7, 2004
    That's what happened when I tried the A/V code search. I guess it's possible that the remote only has codes for TV power and inputs which would be a bad oversight, yet not surprising.

11. ptcfast2

ptcfast2 Member

May 10, 2020
    Probably. I think it definitely could be provided in a future firmware update - the remote is fully capable of it.

I think they messed up big time by not actually allow the user to confirm their remote works with what the Stream "thinks" it discovered. Like, during the setup process it seems pretty trivial to present a screen that asks the user to test their remote after it found a code it thinks works. State what it found on the screen "I'm connected to a Samsung TV and I also see a Soundbar! Is your remote working to control those right now?"

If it didn't find a code, let the user know and let them do the manual code search. Or if it did, but it's wrong, present the user with options to try another code or manually search for one. They didn't do that, and it really degrades the user experience.

I WANT to use the device, so like, preventing me from doing so properly just hurts the product's reputation and causes a frustrated consumer.

mikepinz and MichaelCoffin like this.
  12. cherry ghost

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    I got power working on my TV and volume/mute on my receiver. I’d like to get power working on my receiver also like my Roamio remote does. Input on my receiver would be nice but that’s not a big deal.

ptcfast2 likes this.
  13. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The original TiVo remote allows this by having all the TV codes start with 0 and all the AV codes start with 1. It allows you to store one 0 code and one 1 code on the power button. If you're using the search then I think you need to use 1999 for the AV receiver.

14. Dazed44

Dazed44 New Member

May 11, 2020
    Thank you so much for that. I've been fighting this for several days and finally got it. Never would've tried the volume up button. Thank you

15. ptcfast2

ptcfast2 Member

May 10, 2020
    I managed to find the code list for this remote. I've also added an additional instruction to disable Tivo's Remote OTA Updater to hopefully prevent Tivo from messing with your remote once you get it all sorted and programmed.

I've added the updates to the first post.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    Dazed44 likes this.
  16. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I guess I don't understand the instructions and doing something wrong. It seems no matter what 4 digit code for my TV, even codes for a different TV, it doesn't change anything. I was trying to cycle through different codes for "Input" button (TiVo+Input button then enter 4 digit code) to see if I could find one that toggles inputs instead of bringing up TV menu to select. But whatever I entered no change in behavior. So then I went back to TiVo+Power button and started entering bogus 4 digit numbers just to see if it was even taking, and it does not seem to be. I've done the adblink disable + reboot section.

Maybe the part I'm confused about is do you have to enter re-pair mode (TiVo+Back) before you can test the 4 digit code you entered during IR programming?

17. cherry ghost

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    With the original instructions, I ended up doing the re-pair immediately after the reboot. I then tested power, volume/mute, input to make sure they were no longer controlling anything. Once confirmed, I used the 0999/1999 code searches.

I still want to get input to control my receiver rather than my TV. Hopefully the new instructions can help with that.

18. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Thanks. Just tried and now my code changes are taking, so yes looks like re-pair with TiVo+Back is required before trying to re-program IR codes. Unfortunately couldn't find a TV Input code to direct toggle inputs, there are 2 codes that do something and both just bring up the menu on the TV to select input.

cherry ghost likes this.
  19. cybergrimes

cybergrimes Legend

Jun 14, 2015
    Minnesota
    Finally got this to work but turned out a bit different for me, my remote never unpaired after removing the packages. I had to go into system menu and unpair the remote, couldn't get it to let go of the original programming until I did that. I was really banging my head why the programming wouldn't change. Now it's all set to control power/input on TV, volume on Sonos Playbase. None of which would be an issue if Toshiba TV let internal speakers be disabled. Thanks for sharing this OP!

cherry ghost likes this.
  20. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Thanks... this worked for me with regards to being able to turn off CEC. My remote pairing is actually fine the way it is, so I didn't even get into that part.