Here's a good question...Nobody Cares About (ANY) Updates Anymore???

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by samccfl99, Sep 20, 2018.

1. samccfl99

samccfl99 I Am Sometimes Vocal

Sep 7, 2013
    coconut...

Advertisements

Even HYDRA???

Or how crappy some of the Guide Data is lately
    OR
    How many programs that Usually have SKIP, DON'T....

The Forum has been so boring lately!

DISCUSS........

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Sam, while I do feel we should have seen updates for some of the more irritating bugs by now, the forum has been far from boring. Every time TiVo has a sale, upgrade or trade-in offer we get a lot of new member with new problems. Some are easy, some not so much. Patience. :)

Now, if you want to perform a public service, how about giving some of your colorful advice to the bashers, trolls, and "TiVo is dead" threads?

BTW, the guide has been crappy for two years. :rolleyes:

wish_bgr, unclehonkey and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  3. gigaquad

gigaquad Tivo Image Master

Oct 25, 2004
    I think, along with several others, that we kinda got left behind when Hydra was released. Bugs are par for the course.

4. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    I agree about the lack of updates to Hydra. It’s been out almost a year and hardly anything has changed.

Maybe they are working on other initiatives, but hopefully there is a nice Fall Update due soon.

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada

Advertisements

I wonder what the numbers are on how many users actually upgraded to Hydra and didn't revert? I assume people who buy Vox units, and don't know there is a revert option, just live with it. But for people who are use to the old UI I'm betting the revert rate is pretty high. Hydra is a pretty big departure from the previous UI and still missing some key features people are accustomed to using.

6. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Just swimming along with my TiVo Bolt and Roamio boxes in unHydrated states, time-shifting and SkipMode'ing and QuickMode'ing along . . . . My biggest issue being when a local OTA station does something to its antenna or signal and I need to find a new, delicate signal balance between stations for my tabletop OTA antenna.

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I switched to an attic mount antenna last year and it's fixed this issue. I now get all the channels without having to futz with the rabbit ear style one I was using before.

Mikeguy likes this.
  8. LYKUNO

LYKUNO Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Ohio
    Last Friday (9-14) I switched our TV service from legacy Time Warner Cable to Spectrum Cable. The following day, after digesting the changes in channel numbering between TWC and Spectrum, we discovered that there were a total 4 incorrect channel assignments and 7 channels that were not in the guide. I submitted a "Report a Lineup Issue" online form on Monday 9-17, and as of this afternoon (9-20), all the changes I requested were corrected. I'd call that excellent service by the TiVo Support Team and kudos for their efforts to get our TiVo Guide accurate!

cwerdna, HerronScott, tim1724 and 5 others like this.
  9. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    The channel numbers actually changed when you switched from a L-TWC plan to a Spectrum plan? I've never heard of this happening before. When I switched over, no channel numbers changed.

10. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I keep telling people this. Don't call in, use the form. It invariably works. If you call in you are dependent on the CSR writing things down correctly and then handing it off in some manner to the people who make the changes.

11. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I wish that they would amend the form: if your issue doesn't fit into TiVo's neat little boxes, you have to get creative and hope it works. E.g. there is no box for OTA as vs. cable programming issues.

tim1724 and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  12. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    The firm has worked great for me. Fios has been making a ton of additions and local subs have been changing and TiVo has kept up on the updates within days of submittal.

If something doesnt quite fit, just put it in the comments. Still works better than phone calls.

13. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Bugs? I haven’t run into any bugs. Hydra is working as designed. Updates may bring changes but it is working well for what it was spec’d to do.

aaronwt likes this.
  14. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    They could improve the remote's diagnostics.

15. mahermusic

mahermusic Deadlines Amuse Me

Mar 11, 2003
    U.S.A.
    That's not a good question at all.... it's barely a question!

16. LYKUNO

LYKUNO Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Ohio
    Yes, nearly all the channels (that we regularly watch) were on our TWC High Definition channel list. These channels had 4-digit channel numbers, e.g., 1002 through 1642. Spectrum in our area (Canton Ohio) switched to all digital earlier this year. Their (and legacy TWC) customers who had their TVs connected directly to a coax wall jack were required to get Spectrum 101-T digital adaptors to enable them to continue using their TVs. These adaptors are mini set top boxes (without DVR capability) that Spectrum (and TWC) both offer. The first one (for a single TV) is provided free for a period of one year. For every additional TV the customer has, the customer has to pay $11.75/month (under the TWC billing plan), according to my neighbor who is still using Legacy TWC cable TV service.

In my household, we have 2 Roamios and a TiVo Mini, so only had 2 cable cards ($2.50/month) and 2 Cisco Tuning Adaptors (no monthly charge) from Time Warner. We were also getting TWC 30Mb/5Mb Internet service, using our own Motorola Surfboard cable modem. When we decided to switch to the Spectrum Silver option, with the additional option of their "Digi-Tier 2 channels" we had a Spectrum Channel Listing for our service area, and could see that almost every channel in our new service had either single digit channel numbers (mainly for local stations and PBS, NBC, ABC, CBS, local Fox stations), double-digits, with a few other channels that were 3-digits (e.g., Military History, Science Channel, Destination America, etc).

There is only one channel that carried over from our old TWC plan to our new Spectrum plan that retained the same 4-digit channel number: Velocity with channel number 1144. Also, the premium Showtime channels we had with TWC (channels 1642 through 1645) are now assigned as channels 642 through 649 on Spectrum.

What's really interesting is that many of the single and 2-digit channel numbers have the very same numbers that the channels had back in the old analog TV days before we had HD channels and TiVo (back in the 90's and early 2000's). My wife has the uncanny ability to remember what the channel numbers are for the programs we watch; I on the other hand had to create a cheat sheet to use until I can get the new channel assignments memorized.

Lastly, as part of this changeover to Spectrum, our internet service speed changed from 30Mb/5Mb to 100Mb/10Mb, using our own Surfboard 6183 cable modem. There was no need to have any truck rolls, tech visits, etc. for either the internet or TV service upgrades. And despite the increase in the number of channels (including the addition of HBO and Cinemax) and the internet speed upgrade, our monthly bill only went up by ~$10 over our TWC bill. Oh, and the cost of the cable cards went down from $2.50/month each, to $2.00/month each.

We're glad we made the change now, especially since our TWC bundled plans and promos were going to expire in the not-too-distant future.

All that said, if you review the online Spectrum Cable Channel Lineup for your area, you'll be able to discern whether the channel numbers will change from a Legacy TWC plan to a Spectrum plan.

17. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    I know it well, the seasonal realignment. Mainly effects UHF stations, hi vhf stations not so much so much. Winds, new leaves on the trees, and the atmospheric changes that roll in with the summer. Sometimes just a little tweaking makes a difference between I've got signal vs. the mulipath gods are angry.:eek:

Mikeguy likes this.
  18. samccfl99

samccfl99 I Am Sometimes Vocal

Sep 7, 2013
    coconut...
    JOE!!! Wow, I made this thread 8 days ago and have not been here since? LOL.

I see another useless Hydra is coming out soon. Oh well. TE3 forever then! Guess I will just have to live forever with the audio cut out going in and out of TC. Been that way for 6 years, of course it got a bit better sometime a few years ago.

I don't have a pot to piss in, so only my LS 3tb Roamio Pro and 2tb XL4, both over 90% for me (the news is killing my hard drives...LOL).

OH, TIVO, INC... There's your color Joe...:D:D:D

Blue for Blue Wave 2018!!!!!

MacBrian likes this.
  19. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Well, what do you know? Although I was a bit skeptical as to a "seasonal realignment," things have settled down and now all channels are receiving signal as before (during the "seasonal realignment" period, a few always were off--move the antenna an inch to the left, I would receive channels a, b, and c but have issues with channels x, y, and z, move the antenna an inch to the right, I would have issues with channels a, b, and c but receive channels x, y, and z). :)

20. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It has been a very long time since I have experienced that odd audio cutout. It could be related to my housekeeping. On the last day of each month I power off EVERYTHING. I do some dusting and reconnect all my HDMI connections. Tomorrow is my reboot day. With everything on a UPS the whole process takes under 30 minutes. I'd post the equipment count, but being single it would sound like I have too much stuff.

I remember the update when the audio dropouts were reduced. I give you credit for that.