help ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by seanwhite, Aug 15, 2007.

1. seanwhite

seanwhite New Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Ok... i think i broke it.
    Having read all about increasing hard drive space, cachecards, etc on this forum,i thought it cant be that difficult..... So bought a preconfigured 160gb hard drive off ebay,installed it and a cachecard,and now i have a green screen of death.SO... if anybody is local to warrington cheshire and can sort out my pile of self inflicted poo,I would be most grateful.
    Cheers :rolleyes:

2. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Did you make any changes to the drive before installing it?

3. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    Did you ask for your new hard drive to have the cachecard drivers loaded/installed?

Automan.

4. seanwhite

seanwhite New Member

Nov 24, 2003
    No the drive came without the cachecard driver,no other changes were made to the hard drive.Good news though,the chap i bought the HD off has offered to exchange it.Very kind.
    Meanwhile,i put my old drive back in and that works fine.

5. Pugwash

Pugwash New Member

May 23, 2003
    Spalding'ish
    Master jumper on the HD? I believe the TiVo needs to be told. It could even have been left on CS (Cable Select) which it won't like.

6. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    GSOD is due to drive corruption. Did the guy test this drive before sending it to you?

That's why some upgrade prices are higher....;)

7. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    I agree with Blindlemon. I've done some pretty dumb things to my Tivo drive and wasn't able cause a GSOD (while trying to get more swap). Even when my A drive was failing and the drive froze when writing the database I could reboot it and it would continue working. The only time I was able to get a GSOD was when I manually initiated it with mfsassert -please.

Perhaps you should ask for the money back, by a regular blank drive and an instantcake cd and still have money left over?

8. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    InstantCake doesn't work for UK machines.

There is a UK alternative, but forum rules prevent me from mentioning it! ;)

9. CarlWalters

CarlWalters Yo Ho TiVo!

Oct 17, 2001
    RG4,...
    apparently there's something called Hooch which is available from the nice lemony chap here :)

10. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Thanks Carl :)

11. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Sorry. I always forget I'm in the UK forum. Its the only place I can spend time with other S1 owners as everyone in the US has forgotten about them