Help

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ajphilly, Feb 5, 2006.

1. ajphilly

ajphilly New Member

Feb 5, 2006

Advertisements

A couple of hours ago a posted a thread titled "Powering Up."

Last month, I was experiencing problems with my dual hard drive TIVO. The unit had a 60G original A drive and a 120G B drive (I added about 2 years ago). Last month, I replaced the A drive with a 80G drive. I copied the entire drive including all programs using the Hinsdale instructions.

I still experienced problems. Therefore, I decided to replace the 120G B drive with a 80G drive. First, I created a tivo.bak file on my computer. Then I connected both existing A drive and the new A drive and "restored and expanded" using the tivo.bak file. It appeared to be successful and reported that I would have 175 hours.

I put the drives back in the TIVO and could not get it past the Powering Up screen. I then realized that I the IDE cable was not connected to the motherboard. I fixed this. However, now the TIVO gets past the Powering up screen and moves to the Almost there screen and then reboots. It keeps doing this.

I removed the drives and redid the restore and expand. I rechecked the jumpers. I am unsure what is going wrong.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. punchinboy

punchinboy New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Looking forward to see what you get for suggestions. I have the same issue. See post "Tivo Keeps Restarting". I keep getting replace hard drive. Already have done it with an instacake cd for my unit. See post for details of my stages. I have gotten to different points of setup throughout.

Thanks and Regards,
    Rick

PS To answer AJ's question in next post and to give more info, yes I throught out the old drive, didn't know about this Tivo repair for $80

Also my system is a single drive and I have the same problem, so this may not be a dual drive issue.

I read on another forum a guy had this issue. He removed his cmos battery for 1 day and replaced it with new and this worked. He thinks it was a cmos and bios reload issue with the new drives. I am going to try this. I have removed my battery and will put a new one in when I get home from business trip later this week.

Thanks

3. ajphilly

ajphilly New Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Did you throw yours out? I hear that you can send it in to TIVO for $80 for them to fix. I think I might try to restore and expand to a single A drive, and put it in the TIVO and see if it works. Then try and add a B drive. Maybe having the two is screwing it up. The hard drives are new. I just opened the new B drive today. The other one is only one month old.

4. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    As I understand it, when you put in two drives, they become dependent on each other to work.

If one goes, it's possible just trying to put another in its place isn't enough for the remaining "partner" drive to work with the new one. Even trying to "clone" the image of the failed drive to the new one might not be enough. (Especially if the image includes whatever's damaged.)

There IS a way to "release" the other drive from its "marriage" to the dead drive, but I don't know what it is.

Once you've done that, no doubt you could then use the new drive with it and form a new "marriage" between the two of them.

5. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005

Advertisements

Please explain how you hooked up drives to computer and made your tivo.bak file. Generally you need to make your backup from only non-upgraded drives. Do you still have your original backup file somewhere? If so, use it and proceed as you have indicated one drive at a time. If not, see if you can download a fresh image from someone here on the forum (try PM to Stan Simmons).

6. ajphilly

ajphilly New Member

Feb 5, 2006
    When I backed up the original dual drives, I got warnings that the 120G drive was dying. I assume that when it made the backup, it did not copy properly.

I hooked them up according to the Hinsdale instructions.

hda c drive
    hdb original B 120G
    hdc original A 80G
    hdd cd drive

If I cannot find how do divorce the drives, I can always buy a backup file from instant cake.

7. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    As far as I know no Tivos ever came with dual drives from the factory so this is why you are having the problem. A drive can only be upgraded once and then it needs to be erased and started over from scratch. That is why you need a backup image from a non-upgraded original drive.

8. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Nice try.
    Several of the Philips SA S1 Tivos came with dual drives. Although since the OP says the Tivo had a 60GB original HD, it's probably a 140060 S2.
    The op said "The unit had a 60G original A drive and a 120G B drive" it's obvious that he used the term "original dual drives" to refer to them as opposed to the pair that he is currently trying to use.

An upgrade HD can be used to create a backup for another upgrade.