Help with wireless setup: Toshiba + Netgear

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by omahasubaru, Jan 5, 2006.

1. omahasubaru

omahasubaru New Member

Jan 5, 2006
    Gretna, NE
    First off I have read this post thoroughly: Read this if you want to use your Series2 DVR with a wireless adapter
    I recently moved and decide to drop my land line phone and stay with cellular only. However after moving I did go through the usual guided setup with a LAN line at the new location before dropping phone service and the second call with latest software update. I purchased a supported adapter and router and got everything up and going, but no luck at all. I have called Toshiba & TiVo and both send me to the other person and no one has been able to help, even with having all the info ready. I have verified that my wireless router is working properly and that one can connect to the internet via the network adapter with a computer.

What I need is assistance in trying to figure out what is wrong and why my TiVo won’t recognize this connection.

I have tried both restarting the Unit with the adapter in, and re-starting it and then putting in the adapter. The adapter doesn't power on at all or anything once I plug it into my TiVo. What’s odd
    Is that when I follow the Configuring My DVR to Connect to My Wireless Network directions, I’m done at the first step.

It says to: “Go to TiVo Central by pressing the TiVo button on your remote control; then select Messages and Settings, then Settings; then Phone & Network

When I go there I only get the Phone option no Network which has me very concerned.

I do get the little star line noting 'more info on using your TiVo on a wireless network', but no network option specifically.

My adapter is on that list!

Here is some basic info:

TiVo DVR: Toshiba SD-H400
    DVD Drive Firmware version 1.300
    Platform: Series2
    Software version: 7.1b-01-2-264
    Service Number: 264-0000-F024-9200
    Account Status: 17: TiVo Basic (FT Possible)
    Tivo Service Level: M:-
    TiVoToGo: i,i,i
    Wireless Adapter: NETGEAR WG111 USB 2.0
    Wireless Router: NETGEAR WGR614 IEEE 802.3, IEEE 802.11b/g
    Computer OS: Windows XP Professional
    Firewall: Zone Alarm

No Media Access Key listed on my machine as I don't have Full service TiVo.

I’m hoping I don’t have to upgrade to full TiVo service in order to receive this feature, but neither TiVo nor Toshiba were able to help me or answer my questions.

I’m pleading to you all for assistance in getting my TiVo going. My clock on my TiVo is now 15 minutes fast and I cannot ‘pick programs to record’ as I have no more guide info left. I really want to enjoy TiVo like I did before and although not wanting to do so currently, do plan to upgrade to full TiVo service once I can get it back working ‘Basic’ again.

Let me know what additional info is needed for help in solving my situation.

Cheers,

Jon

2. omahasubaru

omahasubaru New Member

Jan 5, 2006
    Gretna, NE
    Updated my info to be more accurate and specific.

Can someone help me?

3. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Can you use the USB adapter with a computer? You said it doesn't power on when plugged into the TiVo. Did you try both USB ports on the SD-H400?

4. Shawn95GT

Shawn95GT Tivo, in HD!

Oct 7, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    What is the serial number of your adaptor? Did you notice the limitation showing that only specific serial numbers will work?

This info is at:

http://www.tivo.com/adapters/

You'll also notice that Tivo has released their own wireless adaptor for use with S2 Tivos.

The hard wired adaptors work 'immediately' with my 540 series Tivos. If hard wiring it is even remotely an option, I'd do it. Who am I kidding, I did it :). I used Netgear FA120 USB 2.0 adaptors.

5. omahasubaru

omahasubaru New Member

Jan 5, 2006
    Gretna, NE
    As stated, works with a computer.

Doesn't work on either port on the SD-H400.

6. omahasubaru

omahasubaru New Member

Jan 5, 2006
    Gretna, NE
    That appears to be my problem.

Just picked up a NIB correct version of eBay this afternoon.

Thanks for the help everyone... don't know how I missed the serial number bit when I was shopping. Of course buying from newegg, no way to tell what the serial number would have been.

I'll be sure and post an update once I have the new adapter and as to how/if it's working.

Cheers,

Jon