1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Wireless N adapter configuration for S3

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Edge x 4, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Edge x 4

Edge x 4 Member

Jul 14, 2018
    I recently purchased a FreedomPop Supernova 655 hotspot to replace my soon-to-stop dialup connection on my Series 3 HD. For some reason my Tivo Wireless N adapter will not connect to the hotspot (connection failed message). It sees the hotspot fine, but connection fails. My passphrase is correct so it must be something else that's not set correctly. Does anyone have experience setting up an N adapter with FreedomPop? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Active Member

Dec 20, 2012
    The Valley...
    After you plugged in the N adapter did you reboot the Tivo? I've seen through experience that if you add the wireless adapter and dont do a reboot it [usually doesnt work. It may "see" the internet but wont connect.

You can just unplug the Tivo but a simple restart (via the menus) works just fine.

3. Edge x 4

Edge x 4 Member

Jul 14, 2018
    My problem at this point is with configuring the N adapter to the the FreedomPop hotspot on my laptop via ehternet. I'm not connecting the N to the Tivo at all yet, according to the installation instructions for the N adapter. I'm thinking this may be a FreedonPop issue.

4. unclehonkey

Dec 20, 2012
    The Valley...
    wait huh?

You take the N adapter and plug it into the back of the Series 3...the USB port. Then reboot the Tivo and go into the settings to switch it to wireless. It will find your wireless hotspot (and any other Wireless networks in the vicinity). Select that and enter your password and it should be fine.

5. unclehonkey

Dec 20, 2012
    The Valley...
    1. Hook N adapter to USB port as shown in below pic and unhook phone line
    2. Reboot Tivo
    3. Once its back up and running go into messages & setup, then settings, phone and network
    4. select change network settings
    5. Follow the rest. It will try and find any wireless networks in your area. When it shows the hotspot select it and enter password if you have one. It should do the rest and say its been setup.

TIVO3-back.jpg

It should look like this (yes my wireless name is MyInternetDammit. I use to live in a big apartment complex and wanted to make sure NOBODY attempted to hook onto my internet) :)
    IMG_20180914_144752_300.jpg

I have a Series 3 (well its called a TivoHD...I think the Series 3 has the cool OLED display on the unit)

6. Edge x 4

Edge x 4 Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Thank you. But my N adapter has an ethernet cable, not USB. Will this still work the same way?

7. unclehonkey

Dec 20, 2012
    The Valley...
  8. Edge x 4

Edge x 4 Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Yes, that's it exactly. It says I need to connect it to my laptop first, via ethernet, and configure it to my hotspot (FreedomPop). That's where my problem starts. The connection keeps failing. But, I'm following your instruction right now, rebooting the S3 with the N plugged in. Maybe it will work. Please standby...

9. unclehonkey

Dec 20, 2012
    The Valley...
    After doing some looking I see the N adapter is the "newer" one and does use ethernet. So I guess best thing to do is follow the link I posted above

10. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If I may. If your laptop has WiFi, connect it to the hotspot first. That will let you know that the hotspot is working. Then disable the wireless on your laptop, connect the wireless N and follow the instructions in the link. If I remember, there is no "modify" mode. You have to start from scratch each time.

krkaufman likes this.
  11. Edge x 4

Edge x 4 Member

Jul 14, 2018
    That's what I've been doing. It's not working. The connection
    Did that. Here's three screenshots. #1 Setup Wizard sees the hotspot. #2 Failed to connect. #3 Failed the manual connect. The password is correct. Could there something in the hotspot configuration that is preventing connection (See #4)?

Attached Files:

12. unclehonkey

Dec 20, 2012
    The Valley...
    This may sound dumb but you are using the right password?

13. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'm sorry, I don't have your hardware. I've never used a hotspot. My feedback isn't very useful.

In keeping with the previous post, can you disable security as a test?

14. Edge x 4

Edge x 4 Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Yes.

15. Edge x 4

Edge x 4 Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Tried that. Failed.

JoeKustra likes this.
  16. unclehonkey

Dec 20, 2012
    The Valley...
    so if you put the security mode as NONE what happens? Still fails?

This is new to me as all I've ever used are Wireless G adapters. Plug them into the Tivo, reboot it, set up to wireless and done.

17. Edge x 4

Edge x 4 Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Failed with security set to NONE. I'm trying a factory reset on the N and the hotspot to see if that changes anything. tbc...

18. Edge x 4

Edge x 4 Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Factory resets made no difference. Failed again. I put in emails to Tivo support and FreedomPop support. We'll see what they think. I guess if all else fails I can buy a Wireless G and try again.

unclehonkey likes this.
  19. unclehonkey

Dec 20, 2012
    The Valley...
    Any update?

20. Edge x 4

Edge x 4 Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Thank you for asking. I bought a used G on ebay and I will get it tomorrow. I'll fire it up and update then. Still can't get the N to work with the FreedomPop hotspot. I heard nothing from FreedomPop CS after several days of waiting, and I also put in a request to Tivo CS and got the same instructions I already had. I appreciate you're willingness to help, especially in light of the lack of help from the co's involved.