Help with wireless adapter

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Sandlapper, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Sandlapper

Sandlapper New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Can someone show me a wireless adapter at circuitcity.com that's guaranteed to work??? I have something that I can exchange there for one, but I've bought 2 that don't seem to work.

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    See the list at tivo.com/adapters.
    Print it out and take with.

3. Sandlapper

Sandlapper New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I did, and they're all CLOSE but not the exact ones. Like for instance the latest one I bought was the D-Link DWLG-122 while the one on Tivo is just DWL-122. :(

For instance look at this:

NETGEAR WG111, WG111NA, or WG111RVNA --Only adapters starting with serial numbers WG72 or 130. (TiVo Software Version 7.1 or later required)

This shouldn't be this complicated!!!

4. mbrown118

mbrown118 New Member

Nov 23, 2005
    Brunswick...
    Hey people,
    Since we're on this topic, I have a stupid question..... what exactly can Tivo do if you plug a D-Link wireless "thing" into it??
    I ask because my house does have Wi-fi in it (used for laptop connectivity), and I assume that Tivo could probably benefit from the same technology but, I guess my first question is, could Tivo utilize the Wi-fi signal if I plugged one of those "Wi-fi receiver-plug-things" in it?
    If it can utilize the Wi-fi signal then, what would it do with it? I mean, can it use that signal to update itself? and would I be able to use "Tivo To Go" features, or watch my recorded programs on my PC.....? What would be the benefits?

Thanks,

Michael

5. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    Well Michael, there are many advantages to hooking your TiVo up to your home network.

1. Program Guide downloads are done over the internet, and are much faster than over dialup. Your phone line will no longer be tied up, although TiVo's calls are usually in the middle of the night when you're least likely to use the phone.

2. If you are away from home and realize you want to record something, by using a home network the "window" which TiVo needs in order to download the request is less than with a conventional phone line. While I haven't done this, I know of people who have scheduled their TiVo to record a program via the Online Scheduling website with barely an hour's notice; with dialup, the Online Scheduling website will warn you if you try to schedule a program with less than 36 hours notice.

3. If you have more than one Series 2 TiVo, you can request a program from one to be sent to the other for viewing. You can also send it to your computer for viewing or burning onto DVD.

4. Your TiVo doesn't have to be near a phone jack.

These are the most common advantages, I'm sure others will have more to add.

The disadvantages of home networking:

1. More complex setup, especially if you are using encrypted wireless. With phone you plug into the nearest phone jack and you're set.
    2. More costly, due having purchase adapters, cables, etc. All TiVo's come from the factory with a phone cord already included.
    3. You need to leave your router on at all times in order to take full advantage of Online Scheduling and so that the TiVo can download the data it needs.

6. Tracy RainH2o

Tracy RainH2o Photo Man

Nov 17, 2005
    Georgia
  7. mbrown118

mbrown118 New Member

Nov 23, 2005
    Brunswick...
    RonDawg, thanks a lot for the advantages & disadvatages of wireless networking. Sounds like I'll save a few aspirins if I just leave it wired. ;)

Peace from Cleveland,

Michael

8. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    The advantages and disadvantages I speak of apply to both wired and wireless home networking, unless specified.

You can still hook up your TiVo to your home network using the WIRED method if you're willing to run CAT-5 cable all over the place. An alternative is to use a Powerline networking adapter such as the NetGear XE120.

Wireless is definitely more complex and less reliable than wired. I cannot get WiFi to work properly at my house, so that's why I'm using Powerline networking.