help with weird tivo desktop problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by linuxrlz, Jan 18, 2006.

1. linuxrlz

linuxrlz New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    So. Cal.
    I have three tivos at home and the latest desktop software on my windows xp pro machine. One tivo has a problem with the desktop software. I can see all three tivos from the desktop, but can only transfer from two of them to the pc. the third tivo can see the pc and can transfer video, photos and mp3s from the pc. i get the error that tivo desktop was unable to contact the third DVR and can not see the shows on it.
    I can see and download the the third tivo shows on one of the other tivo's that I have tested. I haven't tested the other.
    I can provide ethereal captures of the transaction if anyone wants to see what is happening.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. Andrewp75

Andrewp75 New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Washington DC
    I am having this same problem, did you ever find a solution??

A

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You probably just need to clear the TiVo Desktop cache on your computer. Just go to....

C:\Documents and Settings\XXXXX\Local Settings\Application Data\TiVo Desktop\Cache (replace XXXXX with your XP username)

and delete everything in that folder.

If that doesn't work try this...

Exit the TiVo Desktop. Type ctl-alt-del and bring up the Task Manager. Click on the Processes tab, then click on the Image Name column to alphabetize the list. Find the TiVoTransfer service and kill it.

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\XXXXX\Local Settings\Application Data\TiVo Desktop (Replace the XXXXX with your XP username). Find the TiVoTransfer.dat file and delete it. Restart the TiVo Desktop; that will also restart the TiVoTransfer service.

Dan

4. linuxrlz

linuxrlz New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    So. Cal.
    Not yet.

I have verified that the https service is NOT running on that tivo, so that may be a problem. I have reset and restarted and unplugged/plugged in the tivo multiple times and the https service does NOT start. Could be I damaged something when I upgraded from 80GB to 160GB disk. Everything else seems to work find and the software has updated successfully several times.

5. linuxrlz

linuxrlz New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    So. Cal.
    Dan, thanks much for your suggestions, but "no joy". Desktop fails to connect to that tivo. Other tivo's connect fine to it and it sees the two other tivos and the desktop. I did a port scan on the box and port 443 was shut down on that box and up on he other two.

6. AV_Novice

AV_Novice New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Northern...
    Did you keep the 80GB drive intact? Can you just swap it back in and see if everything starts working normally?

7. linuxrlz

linuxrlz New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    So. Cal.
    Excellent suggestion, thanx! I did think of it before, but wanted to see if anyone had a simple solution without my having to screw around with the hardware again. Plus, my software has been upgraded by TiVo and I didn't know what effect that would have if I swapped the old drive in again with the older software. Would that screw up TiVo's bookkeeping? I have had a bad history with TiVo about this machine - it's the fourth replacement.