Help with Tive Remote and Sony A/V Receiver

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jkroll, Aug 30, 2007.

1. jkroll

jkroll New Member

Aug 30, 2007

Advertisements

I am so close to getting my remote set up that I can almost taste it!

I have a Sony TV and a Sony A/V Receiver (STR-DA5000ES). I got the TV button on my Tivo remote to work just fine and I found 4 codes that control the Volume and Mute on my Receiver. But none of the codes will allow the Power button to function with the receiver (it only works with the TV).

Here is the weird part... if I do the "1999" scan of A/V codes on the remote, I find a few codes that work (no surprise)... and before I press "enter" on the remote to lock the code--the power button turns the receiver on and off. But once I press "enter" and lock the code into the remote it stops providing the Power function to the Receiver and goes back to only working for the Tv (although the Volume and Mute continue to work on the Receiver.

Anyone seen this? Please help!

2. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    You have to program the power key separately from the volume & mute like so:

1. press and hold TIVO & TV POWER, enter the TV code, that gets you tv power

2. press and hold TIVO & MUTE, enter sony aud code, that gets you vol & mute

3, press and TIVO & TV POWER, enter the sony aud code again, that gets you aud receiver power.

3. jkroll

jkroll New Member

Aug 30, 2007
    Unbelievable! Thank you. That worked like a charm. Would you believe that I called Tivo twice and both time they had never heard of this and that feature does not exist. Each time I pointed them to their own support page where it says that it is supposed to work (but it doesn't tell you how to do it!).

Thanks!!!

4. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Not hard to believe at all!

5. chase_hyland

chase_hyland New Member

Feb 1, 2004
    New...

Advertisements

I have the Sony Receiver (STR-DE897) and none of the Sony Codes that are displayed under the "remote control" menu of Tivo will work. I desperately want my Tivo Remote to adjust volume/mute on my receiver. Any other codes? What is the "1999 scan"??

6. Edmund

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    A codesearch won't help, there in't a code for the factory default codeset the sony receivers uses. but it can be switched to the old codeset, one that matches all the sony code in the tivo remote, see this thread.

7. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Many of the Sony AV receivers have two sets of remote codes (AV1 and AV2). The TiVo remote only has the AV1 set. The receiver is defaulted to AV2. You need to set the receiver to use the AV1 set. See the link in Edmund's post.

8. mamosley

mamosley New Member

Apr 9, 2003
    So, no way for tivo to add the av2 codes? From the above post by the way I found out how to put my str-dg710 in av1 mode so I dont have to use the second remote to control volume and mute. The problem is the remote that came with my receiver cant be put in av1 mode and I cant use it to code learn on my logitech harmony remote. So to switch over to game or dvd input I have to do it manually which is not much of a big deal but then I have to use two remotes to operate the dvd and volume.

9. Edmund

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    No, the tivo remote you have now will NEVER get any more codes than it has now, sorry. You might upgrade your tivo remote to the GLO rote,with learning feature.