Help with phase 3 and multiswitches

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by clete2000, Jan 13, 2006.

1. clete2000

clete2000 New Member

Jan 13, 2006
    I have a direct tv phase three dish with a terk m58 multiswitch. I have two of the leads going to my direct tv high def tivo which works well. My question is I need two more drops that go into the other room where I want another high def tivo but cant run the wires for the m58, can I put a multiswitch on the two leads that are coming into the first high def tivo and get the addtional leads I need to run into the other room.
    Thanks for any help. Also I have had a tivo for about three months and really love it.

Clete

2. Want1394

Want1394 New Member

Oct 4, 2001
    Silicon Valley
    No, you really need to run the two new leads you need from the 8-output switch. To get all the channels you need for HD, you need outputs from a 4-input switch - no way around it.

3. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    How many lines will you be needing? You have one HDTiVo and want to put another in another room. Is that all? If all you need is four, then you don't need the 5x8 switch. Run the other two lines from the switch to that other room. Where is that 5x8 located?

4. clete2000

clete2000 New Member

Jan 13, 2006
    I currently have all of the ports used on the multiswitch. I am unable to get additional leads to the room, unforunately just remodeled my house and wired all of the rg6 in the walls before I bought a high def tv and a tivo I only ran one drop per room :( . I have been reading about cascading multiswitches and been hoping that i could connect to only two of the terk's outputs and then split it. Help OBIWON your my only hope.

Thanks again
    Clete

5. Want1394

Want1394 New Member

Oct 4, 2001
    Silicon Valley
    There is no other solution (reasonable) to running another cable. Plan it and get started. (And kick yourself for only putting one coax in a room - I hope you did better with the cat5. ) :)

6. clete2000

clete2000 New Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Cat 5 loads of, rg6 UGHH. been kicking myself since the install of my first tivo.

Regards

7. ntjbjhq

ntjbjhq New Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Isn't there a device or something that you can buy to run coax over Cat5? Some tranciever on each end?

Robert

8. Want1394

Want1394 New Member

Oct 4, 2001
    Silicon Valley
    Not at all, for the bandwidth needed for the sat signals.

9. ntjbjhq

ntjbjhq New Member

Jan 13, 2006
    :( Don't sound like there are many solutions to this problem then! Good luck clete2000!