Help with partial recordings and such

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by flapbreaker, Feb 6, 2006.

1. flapbreaker

flapbreaker New Member

May 23, 2002
    Hillsboro, OR

Advertisements

So I recorded the Superbowl and the recording was less than super. It seems my Tivo doesn't like football. I've noticed a strange behavior lately when I record football games OTA on various networks but this one takes the cake.

Basically I will get the pixelated/corrupted video every few minutes during the recording. Sometimes I miss one play but today during the superbowl I one moment I would be watching a play and bamo all of a sudden I'd be watching a commercial. At one point during halftime the recording stopped. The tivo must have rebooted and started recording again (two partials listed in now playing). The second recording picked up with 6 minutes left in the 3rd quarter.

I don't think this is a reception issue (excuse the pun) as I don't really have much trouble at other times. However this does seem worse during football games (no I'm not drunk when watching football). What I'm wondering is if the Tivo is getting to warm when recording 4 hour programs or if there's just some bad sectors on the hard drive. I did upgrade the system with a matching drive but that's been last year. Any idea's?

On a side note this behavior happened the last playoff game I recorded so I'm a little baffled as to what the problems might be. Just wondering if there's something about recording 4 hours that's causing a problem?

2. calibrad

calibrad New Member

Feb 6, 2006
    My experience is that restarts happen when the DVR is very full (and probably fragmented). My assumption is that if there isn't enough space on the hard drive to record in a single segment, a restart is triggered. (I realize this isn't how hard drives are supposed to 'think', but with software you never know...and there is no defrag option.) I found this happening in college football season while trying to record 3 hr games. Once I reduced the clutter on the Now Playing list, problem disappeared. If disk is very full, you might try recording in 30 minute segments instead of trying to record the whole long program.

3. flapbreaker

flapbreaker New Member

May 23, 2002
    Hillsboro, OR
    Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.