Help with OTA purchase decision

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by cherylzyx, Dec 17, 2019.

1. cherylzyx

cherylzyx happy to be here :)

Jan 18, 2004
    Tulsa, OK
    I just got rid of cable and then found out my Premiere 4 doesn't record over the air channels. I need to replace my TiVo with one that will. What are my options and what is the cheapest?

I've looked around but if someone could simplify this for me I'd really appreciate it.

Is buying used a good option? Any help you can give me is appreciated. Thanks!

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Premiere 2 tuner
    Roamio 4 tuner (Basic and OTA models)
    Bolt 4 tuner (I'd avoid, too many issues to mention due to v21 software, Tivo Plus, laptop drives tend to fail, not 100% reliable.)

There is an offer on the Tivo menu, but its for the Bolt OTA.

3. samsauce29

samsauce29 Active Member TCF Club

Nov 30, 2007
    Erie, PA
    Been contemplating this myself. Believe I'll probably grab a Roamio that supports OTA from either eBay or Weaknees. Roamio uses the bigger drive and it's trivial to swap in a new drive.

4. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    This is probably your best bet...Roamio w/no monthly fee, can be downgraded to TE3 & with decent 1TB capacity f/$300...better than what you have now:
    Hey, TiVo, what's the holiday season buzz?

kpeters59 and Mikeguy like this.
  5. cherylzyx

Jan 18, 2004
    Tulsa, OK
    Thanks for your help!

6. cherylzyx

Jan 18, 2004
    Tulsa, OK
    Another question, I was thinking about getting the Roamio basic TCD846500 so that if I decided to go back to cable I wouldn't have to switch tivos again. For this model did it come with service like the OTA or would it be an additional purchase? I'm looking at used ones but I cant tell. Thanks.

7. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Service may not be included.

8. Aaron Malloy

Aaron Malloy Active Member

Oct 30, 2019
    You can buy used Roamio OTA's that have the lifetime service from either WeaKnees, Amazon or Ebay. They're pricey because of the lifetime service. Or you can buy a used one without the service (they usually start at $40-50 on Ebay), then pay $15 a month for the Tivo subscription. By paying that monthly fee, you will have spent $360 after just 2 years. So keep that in mind when comparing.

9. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    concur, this is your best approach.

10. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Where are you looking? At least on eBay the listings always say whether it has lifetime, because that is a big value factor. Your idea for preserving future cable compatibility is a good one although personally I cringe at the idea of ever going back to cable. I recently cut cable, converted my 846500 to OTA, and am happily using YouTube TV as a cable replacement. Cutting cable will not save most people much money (unless you can do without content) but it gets you away from dealing with Cable TV support/sales and Tuning Adapters, both of which are PITA's.